Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
Actually, I think the Nev-r-lubes are much closer together than 4"...maybe something like 2". I've not worked on them, but did see a display last summer at the Dexter booth at the WBCCI International.
__________________

__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
Alphonse's Avatar

 
2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Actually, I think the Nev-r-lubes are much closer together than 4"...maybe something like 2". I've not worked on them, but did see a display last summer at the Dexter booth at the WBCCI International.
Steve, you are correct, it was surprising to me to see how narrow the width is. It is closer to 2" than 4"!

With that in mind, it is still difficult to imagine that a 1/16" loading offset is going to cause premature failure.
__________________

__________________
Alan
"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you never tried before!"

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Jim Clark's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,077
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
As an mechanical engineer, I'll just say this is silly.

If the bearings are 4" apart (estimate from memory), displacing the center of the load by 1/16" of an inch (estimated thickness of Centramatic disk at mounting surface) will produce:

(2.0625/2 - 1) * 100 increase in loadon the outer bearing, or 3%.

This is completely ignorable, as others have suggested already. I'm sure one side of my trailer is 3% heavier than the other, even if I don't know which one .

- Bart
OK, Since I have no clue about any of this I have a question. When I installed my Centramatic disks I installed with the tube facing inside which then would of add the weight over the hub, and not out towards the wheel. Any offset imparted to the load center? BTW I did call Centramatic and they stated either way was fine.
__________________
Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
 
2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 256
Nev-R-Lube Bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Actually, I think the Nev-r-lubes are much closer together than 4"...maybe something like 2". I've not worked on them, but did see a display last summer at the Dexter booth at the WBCCI International.
The following link may give a visual perspective to this discussion.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...ion-70117.html
__________________
F. A. Meloy
2006 30' Classic
Dexter hydraulic disc brake system
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master
 
Jim Clark's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,077
Images: 6
Here is the sales brochure, the 50mm cartridge can be used with inset wheels.

http://www.waymires.com/support_docu...nformation.pdf
__________________
Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,400
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
OK, Since I have no clue about any of this I have a question. When I installed my Centramatic disks I installed with the tube facing inside which then would of add the weight over the hub, and not out towards the wheel. Any offset imparted to the load center? BTW I did call Centramatic and they stated either way was fine.
It's not the location of the mass, but the thickness of the plate between the wheel and the hub which offsets the tire/wheel assembly outboard by a millimeter or so.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,400
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
As an mechanical engineer, I'll just say this is silly.

If the bearings are 4" apart (estimate from memory), displacing the center of the load by 1/16" of an inch (estimated thickness of Centramatic disk at mounting surface) will produce:

(2.0625/2 - 1) * 100 increase in loadon the outer bearing, or 3%.

This is completely ignorable, as others have suggested already. I'm sure one side of my trailer is 3% heavier than the other, even if I don't know which one .

- Bart
I agree somewhat (it is only about 2" stacked though) but it is the edge loading of the bearing set that is the issue. When you have an offset the load isn't evenly distributed over the roller face. I'm still not sure it is a huge issue though...but one to watch.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
Jim Clark's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,077
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
It's not the location of the mass, but the thickness of the plate between the wheel and the hub which offsets the tire/wheel assembly outboard by a millimeter or so.
Thanks got it.
__________________
Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:37 AM   #23
Maniacal Engineer
 
barts's Avatar
 
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,223
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I agree somewhat (it is only about 2" stacked though) but it is the edge loading of the bearing set that is the issue. When you have an offset the load isn't evenly distributed over the roller face. I'm still not sure it is a huge issue though...but one to watch.
Roller bearings are always used in pairs; they generate a end load because of their angles and the two bearings cancel each other out. The rollers float between the races to get an even loading across their faces. The equiv. load diagram is
||
v
---------------
^ ^
|| ||

A sligh variation of position of the upper load will change the distribution slightly on the bottom, but not so it matters.

Note that narrow bearing spacing also means that side load from cornering generate significant loads.

- Bart
__________________
Bart Smaalders
Menlo Park, CA
http://tinpickle.blogspot.com
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,400
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
Roller bearings are always used in pairs; they generate a end load because of their angles and the two bearings cancel each other out. The rollers float between the races to get an even loading across their faces. The equiv. load diagram is
||
v
---------------
^ ^
|| ||

A sligh variation of position of the upper load will change the distribution slightly on the bottom, but not so it matters.

Note that narrow bearing spacing also means that side load from cornering generate significant loads.

- Bart
Agreed Bart. But, again in practice, with less than optimal manufacturing tolerances (in this case) or traditional bearings adjusted a little loose and Offset wheels (much more than we are talking about here with the inclusion of Centramatics) I have seen outer edge chipping and rapid deterioration of rollers many times over the years.
I believe your assumption is that the rollers are always in firm even contact with the races in all cornering and tire/wheel vibration and shock situations. I'm afraid that aint always (probably rarely) true.

None the less, I am in your camp and the Centramatics stay on my Nev-r-lube hubs. Again, I would just advise checking the hub temps at fuel stops. It is still better to replace the bearings every 75K, than repack (or pay to repack) every year or 10K.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #25
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
 
Frank's Trailer Works's Avatar
 
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,547
Images: 2
I personally prefer traditional bearings. Repacking them every other year or regularly to your own usage allows you to know they are in good shape. Some maintenance allows is good in assuring your running gear is in good shape.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #26
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,400
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I personally prefer traditional bearings. Repacking them every other year or regularly to your own usage allows you to know they are in good shape. Some maintenance allows is good in assuring your running gear is in good shape.
Just one more chore I don't want to do anymore.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #27
Rivet Master
 
1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,069
I see no benefit to the Neverlube bearings. Having both races next to each other puts way more stress on everything, compared to a traditional hub set up. All for not having to lube your bearings once every year or two? I say it's just a BS marketing deal which will go away in a few years when they start having the bearings fail due to side loads. In the 50 years I have been working on cars, not one car manufacture has EVER put the inner and outer bearings next to each other with no space in between. There must be a reason.
__________________
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #28
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,400
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
I see no benefit to the Neverlube bearings. Having both races next to each other puts way more stress on everything, compared to a traditional hub set up. All for not having to lube your bearings once every year or two? I say it's just a BS marketing deal which will go away in a few years when they start having the bearings fail due to side loads. In the 50 years I have been working on cars, not one car manufacture has EVER put the inner and outer bearings next to each other with no space in between. There must be a reason.
If you have a fwd car, you likely already have 4 of them. They work fine and are cheaper to replace every 100k or so than paying for a repack every 15k.
__________________

__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.