Old 02-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
Need your advice: 2007 25FB CCD

Hi Everyone,

I just found a 2007 25FB CCD that I'm going to buy. My wife and I have been looking for something bigger than our 67 Caravel and we've often admired the ccds--the 25FB being desirable due to the separate bedroom and nice sofa and dinette areas. So, anyway we found a used one in the mid $30s at an Airstream Dealer. They will, of course, inspect it, detail it, and take care of some recall items, but-----in YOUR OPINION what should I be looking for, if anything? Are there known issues with these units that need examination?

Your help and insight will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, by the way, it has solar panels installed and comes with a Reese hitch---is that a good one?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Sounds like a nice one. I would request a 60 day warranty from the dealer so you can really make sure everything is correct. Ask the dealer to tell you the age of the tires. If they are 4-5 years or older, get new tires, including the spare. Hitches are like TV's, every one has an opinion on which one is "the best". Main thing is to have the dealer adjust your AS with your TV hitch correctly and you should be fine. Your TV is just as important as in maintenance, tires, etc as your new(to you) trailer. Keep us informed and congrats.

Pap

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Leaks around the PANOramic windows. Floor rot! Ice Pick it all or insist that the vinyl be pulled up under the table and bed for you to visually inspect!

Paula
Old 02-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
As I recall, there had been some issues with insufficient sealant where the back bumper meets the shell resulting in floor rot. Make sure that there was vulkem sealant there and that the floor just inside the back is solid.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
What model years of the 25 FB series are prone to the rear floor rot?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Not sure what years are involved, but one of my friends discovered this on his FB. I happened to be at Jackson Center when another FB with the same problem was repaired (under warranty).

Here are some links:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...eak-56099.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...eak-98165.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ri-100247.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ybe-56674.html

Basically what you have to do is make sure that there is an adequate bead of vulkem at the base of the shell where it meets the bumper. A good investment is a can of vulkem with the small hand pump that lays a bead of 1/16".
Old 02-09-2013, 04:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Other leak points include the corners of the panoramic windows where the trim is mitered. Today Airstream welds the corners. In 2007 they were "sealed" with vulkem. Exterior marker lights are prone to leaks. Skylights, fantastic fans, and tank vents on the roof are other potential sources of water intrusion. As Paula and others have said the back bumper is the source of major leaks on the late model "FB" design. You will be well served to ice pick the floor or remove the dinette and have the vinyl floor rolled back for inspection. Since you are buying from a dealer he should do this for you and you should look at the floor and ice pick it. Don't trust the seller to do this.

I'm speaking from painful and expensive experience. On my second outing with my new to me 2008 27 FB Safari, the dinette table support leg punched through the rotten floor. I had it repaired at the factory in Jackson Center at my expense (out of warranty). They found all of the above. 1/3 of the wooden subfloor had to be replaced. It took a week of labor at the factory at $110 per hour labor rate plus materials.

While I purchased the trailer from an individual, the sad thing is I paid several hundred dollars, prior to taking possession, to a major northeastern Airstream dealership for a "thorough inspection." The dealer obviously missed all of these issues which should have been uncovered. In this case the dealer would likely have benefited from the repair work so the failure to find the problems suggests the "inspection" was cursory at best. In addition I paid $300 to have the trailer washed and Walbernized by the same dealer, yet when I got home to NC and looked at the roof I found it covered with algae and mildew. The dealer obviously only washed and treated the visible surfaces, likely knowing it was going several states away and wouldn't be returned to correct the substandard work. Therefore, my advice to you is don't expect the dealer inspection to uncover major issues such as floor rot, particularly when he is selling the trailer and if he identifies the problem he'll be repairing at his expense. It is very possible you are buying from the same dealer I used for my inspection. If you PM me I'll confirm.

In addition, if the dealership tries to sell you an extended warranty, note that most of these warranties exclude floor rot and leaks.
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
2007 25 FB Things to check

Thanks to all of you for your good advice. I'll definitely check the floor for rot and leaks, the belly band seal, etc.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
Not sure what years are involved, but one of my friends discovered this on his FB. I happened to be at Jackson Center when another FB with the same problem was repaired (under warranty).

Here are some links:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...eak-56099.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...eak-98165.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ri-100247.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ybe-56674.html
After going through all those threads we are close to crossing off Airstream.

We want something larger so we can take my 91 year old mother with us on trips and we plan to full time it for a couple of years after we retire in 5 years. If mom is still with us we'll take her too! 3 people and two small dogs don't work very well in our 17' Casita.

It appears any model that has the storage bumper is susceptible to floor rot. I was going to look at a 2010 25FB and 2009 FC 20 this weekend. I look at the rear bumpers and trim at the online photos and imagine rotting floors in both of them. I'm not sure we want to bother now since they are 300 miles away.

Airstreams seem to be very high maintenance after reading various threads. I owned a small motorhome years ago and remember the maintenance. For the most part it wasn't too bad. I do remember having to take a window out to reseat it with fresh butyl tape. The frame was wood back in the 80s.

Yet there is a very popular following for Airstreams.

Kelvin
Old 02-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The maintenance of an Airstream does not have to be high. The key to trouble free ownership is catching potential problems before they cause damage.

That is easily done with a routine quarterly inspection for leaks, corrosion, and separated sealant including probing the floor perimeter with an inexpensive moisture detection meter. The inspection is followed by a systems check to ensure all is in working order, cleaning the trailer and treating exposed metal for corrosion, and resealing any bad sealant.

If even tiny traces of leaks or corrosion are found, they can be repaired before damage occurs. A good exterior waxing once a year, and interior vacuum and wipedown after each use keeps things looking like new (and shiny!).

Maintenance requirements are not unique to Airstream, but we think the results are more worthwhile.

doug k
Old 02-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Kelvin, I have a 1987 32-foot Excella. It had been well cared for by the previous owners and I have been regularly servicing it at Jackson Center. I have had no issues with it. We are "part-timers" - i.e., we live in it for about 5 months in the winter. We also go to some rallies during the summer. We put about 10,000 miles on it each year, traveling from Ontario Canada to Arizona, California & Nevada each winter as well as summer trips throughout Ontario, Quebec and upstate New York. The trailer has been very reliable and dry in all kinds of weather.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
Kelvin, I have a 1987 32-foot Excella. It had been well cared for by the previous owners and I have been regularly servicing it at Jackson Center. I have had no issues with it. We are "part-timers" - i.e., we live in it for about 5 months in the winter. We also go to some rallies during the summer. We put about 10,000 miles on it each year, traveling from Ontario Canada to Arizona, California & Nevada each winter as well as summer trips throughout Ontario, Quebec and upstate New York. The trailer has been very reliable and dry in all kinds of weather.
They don't make them like they used to. .

RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote