Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 29' Ambassador
Union , Mississippi
Question Need to repair or replace toilet in 1977 29 ft. Land Yatch

I have a toilet that will not hold water in the bowl. I cleaned the blade seal with cleaning tool and there is no toilet paper or other junk in seal. Since it is a Thetford Aqua-magic SH series, seems not to many parts for these any more. I can find a 33031 Assy. unit but it is almost as expensive as a new toilet. Has anyone replaced their original 1977 toilet with a later one and if so what brand and model did you use. I have a seat that covers the toilet when needed with a dirty clothes hamper behind the toilet so I have to take that into consideration when replacing. Here is the model of the Thetford that is presently in unit....Model SH Aqua Magic Starlite/Galaxy
Part # 20902 G02
Code 940524
Any suggestions appreciated.
Katman104
Katman104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Are these the parts you need?

Thetford Aqua Magic Starlite Galaxy toilet ball valve RV Camper -..

Never mind. I think I see what you mean on cost from the Thetford site.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1977 29' Ambassador
Union , Mississippi
Will the Thetford 33031 Mechanism Assembly Fit this 1977 Toilet?
SH Starlite/Galaxy
Part # 20902 G02
Code 940524
Old 10-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Don't know if it is any help, but I have found that if the toilet bowl dries up while our trailer is in storage. then when we come to use it again, it leaks. I have tried repeatedly to clean the seal and that hasn't helped. I dropped a few drops of food colouring into a bowl full of water to see whereabouts around the circumference it was escaping and that did show up the area of leakage very well. I then checked that area very closely for any defects that I could see or feel but found none.

In the end, we just kept using it (we only pee in it!) ad lo and behold after a couple of days it stopped leaking!

This has happened to us twice now with the same result - a couple o days use and it is fine again.

I wouldn't have thought that the seal could dry out but am forced to think that is what happens.

This Fall when I stored the trailer, I put an extra amount on plumbing antifreeze into the toilet bowl hoping that will prevent the problem.

We will likely pull the trailer out in mid-Feb to head south for a month or two.

Perhaps you have tred this but if not it might be worth a try - both times ours took three or four days use before t started sealing again after drying out in storage.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We had our seal dry out and the toilet would not hold water. I used some O ring lube that I have for the pool and it has been holding water for several years.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Good suggestions about lubricating and moistening the seals... but I bet it will **ss off Thetford that you're interfering with a big sale.

Sorry... just bathroom jokes seem to resonate with me.

Here's a tasteless halloween joke....

How do West Virginians celebrate Halloween?

Pump Kin

I'm so ashamed of myself for that.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
white bear lake , Minnesota
Add some cooking oil over the antifreeze in the toilet bowl that will help with evaporation. Remember to keep all seals wet all the time.
Freedom55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Add some cooking oil over the antifreeze in the toilet bowl that will help with evaporation. Remember to keep all seals wet all the time.
If enough antifreeze is left in the bowl, I've never had it evaporate down to the seal. BTW, If you do use oil, I'd recommend olive oil....not vegie oil. Olive doesn't seem to gum up with age.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1977 29' Ambassador
Union , Mississippi
Thanks for all the suggestions. While I have it in the basement will give these a try. If anyone has replaced their original Thetford in 1977 please feel free to join in the conversation. If any AS dealers are online and know what thetford units the
Thetford 33031 Mechanism Assembly will fit please chime in. Looks to me like the Mechanism assembly replacement would be a good way to go since most of the workings of the toilet is in it (Thus the reason for it being so expensive) but I would not have to worry about size and whether a new one would fit in the space.