Old 07-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #1

1970 23' Safari
Cedar park , Texas
need to RENT workshop space in Texas!

greetings,

my husband and i recently acquired a vintage airstream, and need to do major remodeling of the interior. we aren't allowed to do work like that in our neighborhood (BOOO HOA!) and we don't think we'd be allowed to do major repairs at the storage facility either.

what do others in this situation do?

i'm posting to facebook friends to see if anyone i know is open to "renting" space on their property to let us work on the trailer, but if that doesn't work out... can anyone here recommend some places to check out?

thanks!
shea

Old 07-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If you have an industrial park in your city that is the place to start. Typically MANY of these are warehouse/office spaces - and quite often they come with oversize garage doors suitable for box trucks (or Airstreams). There's one in Virginia Beach that is "mixed use" - storage AND light industrial. It does short term rentals to RV's - during hurricane/Nor'easter threats. ($25 for the weather event!) It's REALLY your perfect location as there is a welder, an auto body shop & upholstery shop, a couple of HVAC companies and even a company that rents scaffolding, fork lifts, man lifts, etc. Their biggest spaces can hold a Prevost.

I don't recognize your town - but if the population is over 25,000 you may have something available. Next choices - find the commericial/industrial landlords in the area. There are lots of empty "big boxes" out there - and if you agree to a "move out with 10 days notice" month to month agreement they will sometimes cut you massively good deals. - as long as the doors are big enough, the ceilings high enough and the building is structurally sound - you can use it. Old car dealerships, empty supermarkets, an old dairy/bottling plant will work.

Retired or semi-retired Farmers? Oh the quonset huts and barns!
Semi-rural Airport? Empty hangar space?

The price will depend largely on the
  1. vacancy rate - if 35%-40% or more of the available space is vacant it's a renter's market - if the building is "vintage" and there's a lot of newer construction available it favors you
  2. the current owner - if it's in foreclosure BAD, if someone built for his own business and 3 tenants and hasn't HAD a single tenant in the last two years.... well 30% of something beats 100% of nothing!
  3. your willingness to pay for your share of utilities - and separate meters!
  4. you're willingness to clean up and leave quickly if they get a good offer for the space.
  5. your written obligation to leave it like you found it - make sure you don't get stuck for repairing or replacing appliances or features that were missing when you rented it - but agree to sweep, mop and clean everything! (take move in /move out pictures!)
Happy hunting! Paula

Old 07-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I have extensively remodeled the interior of my trailer at the storage yard with no complaints. I wouldn't try replacing a floor there, but interior work may not be a problem. We have a guy in our storage yard that builds black vans for police forces filled with all sorts of electronics. There are also several firms that are there a couple of times a day and often prefabricate stuff to take to job sites. They also keep their area nice and clean.

I use folding sawhorses and sweep up all of the sawdust and scraps each time.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea78613 View Post
greetings,

my husband and i recently acquired a vintage airstream, and need to do major remodeling of the interior. we aren't allowed to do work like that in our neighborhood (BOOO HOA!) and we don't think we'd be allowed to do major repairs at the storage facility either.

what do others in this situation do?

i'm posting to facebook friends to see if anyone i know is open to "renting" space on their property to let us work on the trailer, but if that doesn't work out... can anyone here recommend some places to check out?

thanks!
shea
I have the space and it maybe real convenient to your location (Duval & 183). It's my private property with lots of room in the backyard. I have been into Airstream restoration for many years and am currently working on my new 87 345. If you can get your trailer through my 9' wide gate, you may have found a place. Drop me a note and we can get together to discuss details.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote