Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Cecelia
 
1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 55
Need suggestions on spare parts- HELP!

I hope this is the right forum for my question.

I'm in the process of shipping my Airstream to Australia. Thanks to one of the forum members, I discovered I can put some spare parts in the trailer for shipping. I never would have thought of that on my own.

So my question is: What would you all suggest? Handy to have, crucial to have, I want to hear it all. Keeping in mind that I can't just pop down to the nearest dealer and pick up some Airstream parts.

Thank you!
__________________

__________________
ccbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
A couple of windows, a water pump, dump valves, loaded brake backing plates, roof vent covers, light bulbs and lenses, auto changover regulator for the LP, coupler guts, shocks, nuts and bolts in inch sizes (not metric), rivets, Parrbond, Vulkem, Sikaflex.
__________________

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
pbearsailor's Avatar

 
1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 863
That's pretty tough to say without knowing the trailer, but if it's an average sort of trailer from those years, I'd be looking at Vintage Trailer Supply and going through the whole site to see what you might need, especially the hard to get stuff like window seals and gaskets.

Lots of big ticket items to consider too, like water heater, refrigerator, furnace, etc. I won't even mention axles, but I guess I just did.

We shipped a car to a Pacific island once and we absolutely filled it up with important stuff.

cheers,
steve
__________________
Forum Thread: First She Had to Take a Ride on a Boat

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Cecelia
 
1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
A couple of windows, a water pump, dump valves, loaded brake backing plates, roof vent covers, light bulbs and lenses, auto changover regulator for the LP, coupler guts, shocks, nuts and bolts in inch sizes (not metric), rivets, Parrbond, Vulkem, Sikaflex.
Excellent! Thank you so much. I suppose I also need a riveting tool with the rivets. And I suppose there's no getting around the fact that I need spare panoramic windows - they'd be impossible to replace here.
__________________
ccbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
Cecelia
 
1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
That's pretty tough to say without knowing the trailer, but if it's an average sort of trailer from those years, I'd be looking at Vintage Trailer Supply and going through the whole site to see what you might need, especially the hard to get stuff like window seals and gaskets.

Lots of big ticket items to consider too, like water heater, refrigerator, furnace, etc. I won't even mention axles, but I guess I just did.

We shipped a car to a Pacific island once and we absolutely filled it up with important stuff.

cheers,
steve
The big ticket items I can replace quite easily, it's the small stuff (like nuts and bolts in inch sizes) that I can't get here. Excellent suggestion about Vintage Trailer Supply, thanks!
__________________
ccbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbrand View Post
The big ticket items I can replace quite easily, it's the small stuff (like nuts and bolts in inch sizes) that I can't get here. Excellent suggestion about Vintage Trailer Supply, thanks!
And if you get Olympic rivets, you might as well get a shaver for them, too.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,069
How about a big piece of aluminum? All those rivets are no good unless you have a piece of aluminum to cover the hole or tear in the skin. Then you need tin snips to cut it.
__________________
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #8
Cecelia
 
1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
How about a big piece of aluminum? All those rivets are no good unless you have a piece of aluminum to cover the hole or tear in the skin. Then you need tin snips to cut it.
Interesting...so what grade of aluminum would I need for the Argosy? I may be able to source that here. We don't have much manufacturing, but mining and metals we definitely do have.
__________________
ccbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
Cecelia
 
1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbrand View Post
Interesting...so what grade of aluminum would I need for the Argosy? I may be able to source that here. We don't have much manufacturing, but mining and metals we definitely do have.
Nevermind, I answered my own question here by searching the forums. As I suspected, Alclad is definitely available here.
__________________
ccbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbrand View Post
I hope this is the right forum for my question.

I'm in the process of shipping my Airstream to Australia. Thanks to one of the forum members, I discovered I can put some spare parts in the trailer for shipping. I never would have thought of that on my own.

So my question is: What would you all suggest? Handy to have, crucial to have, I want to hear it all. Keeping in mind that I can't just pop down to the nearest dealer and pick up some Airstream parts.

Thank you!
Gaskets for the windows and door.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Skatiero's Avatar

 
1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,335
Images: 25
Axles are very airstream-specific. They are not interchangeable with other kinds. I would definitely include those, as they do need to be replaced periodically! Axles and panoramic windows would be at the top of my list!
__________________
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #12
Cecelia
 
1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 55
Gaskets for the windows and door, that's good,thanks! I'm having new axles fitted before it ships, and down the road new Duratorques are available here.
__________________

__________________
ccbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.