Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2003, 09:13 AM   #1

Question Need restoration help in Florida

I have a 1960 24' Sovereign which my grandfather purchase new in 1960. It is in moderate shape but needs restoration. I am looking for someone in central florida who is qualified to do interior and exterior renovation. My goal is to have this in showroom shape by this fall. Any advice on who to contact would be helpful. This is a family heirloom. Thanks. Email address is Dross71803@aol.com.

Dennis in Lakeland
dennis ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 10:18 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Need restoration help in Florida

Greetings Dennis!

Welcome to the forum and the world of Vintage Airstreaming!

You are the second person that I know of who has a 1960 Airstream that is a family heirloom - - the current President of the WBCCI Cleveland, OH Unit owns a 1960 Overlander that his grandparents purchased new.

I can provide you reference to the two shops who handled much of the restoration on my '64 Overlander International. While neither is located in Florida, each is tops in their field (IMHO).

For interior restoration, I don't think that you can find many who would work harder for you than Arlene and Henry Fowler of Fowler Interiors. They restored/refurbished the interior of my Overlander and are currently working on my '78 Argosy Minuet. They are regular advertisers in the WBCCI Blue Beret , and are regular presenters at the WBCCI International Rally - - they generally offer a workshop on interior maintenance and care. They can be reached via e-mail at:

fowlerinteriors@hcis.net

The Folwer's shop is located in Symsonia, Kentucky about 15 miles East/Southeast of Interstate 24 (less than 20 miles from Paducah, Kentucky).

For exterior polishing and plasticoating, I am very pleased with the results on my coach. My coach was polished and plasticoated by the Ruth boys of P & S Trailer Service of Helena, OH. They do extremely high quality work. They now have a web site that can be accessed at:

P & S Trailer Service, Helena, Ohio

The Ruths and the Fowlers are accustomed to working with customers to schedule work to be done on customer's coaches such that the coach can be transported from one to the other to complete the refurbishment/restoration process with minimal interruption. If my memory serves correct, the distance between their shops is between 350 and 400 miles.

While neither of these vendors are located in Florida, they both offer high quality, reliable service (IMHO). Either one or both would be worth the drive from Florida - - Fowler's were about a 450 mile drive for me and P & S Trailer Service was about a 550 mile drive for me.

For running gear restoration as well as systems such as air conditioning, water heater, furnace, Univolt, refrigerator, water pump, water tank, awnings, and plumbing fixtures; I went with my nearby Airstream dealer for those features - - just be prepared to do a little research and checking as not all Airstream dealers are truly interested in working on Vintage coaches - - I count myself as being very fortunate to live in close proximity to an Airstream dealer who is very willing to work on Vintage coaches.

The one difficulty that I encountered was restoring/refinishing the bathroom fixtures. After hours on the phone and personally visiting several vendors, I was finally able to locate a local professional bathroom refinisher who was willing to refinish the bathroom fixtures in my coach - - they are now a pleasing antique pewter color rather than the original avacado green. It seems that this is one process that can only be sourced from local contractors as none of the shops offering restoration service that I talked to (this was two years ago) did anything more than clean the bathroom fixtures.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin

P.S. If you would like to see photos of the exterior before and after shots of the Overlander click on the photo button at the bottom of this post and it will take you to my album. I haven't gottent photos of the completed interior posted yet.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 05:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up In Fla

dennis ross

While the sources that Kevin mention are great folks, if you are wanting to stay in Fla for the work you mention..You might check out this site. After opening the website, scroll down half way on the site and, you'll see the info about working on Airstream..
GMCCOOP

I stayed next to a fellow camper just three weeks ago who had them do work for him and, he had nothing but the best to report abt them.

There may be other shops in Fla but, I'm not familiar with them.

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 10:03 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
You might wish to talk to...........

Kevin and Donna Mullaly of Malabar RV Supply, Malabar (just south of Melbourne), Florida. Kevin works on a lot of Airstreams. I saw the enterior work he did on one Airstream, plus an entire new enterior he did on a horse van conversion (the owner had Kevin build an RV-like enterior in the front half of a very large horse trailer. Kevin piut in a kitchen, toilet, and sleeping area, and it was an amazing job). These are good people who do not gouge their customers. Call 321/728-4460 and discuss what you are thinking about doing.

Joe
joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote