Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2007, 10:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Longview , Washington
Need repair advice

I just bought my first Airstream on Friday, and I'm very excited to have it. It's a 2005 Safari LS. I have a couple of questions. My first question is related to the refrigerator. When it's running on propane, it seems to start up just fine, but then at some point a short while later it seems to turn off and the "Check" light comes on. The propane tanks are full, and other propane devices work fine. It works fine running on hookups.
My other question is less important: does anyone have any advice on latches that can be used to hold doors shut. The installed latches seem to be pretty inconsistent in their ability to hold the doors shut. I would be interested in a latch that needs to be manually disengaged, but would like some other input. Thanks for your help.

Matt
msmst25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:58 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome and congratulations on your new baby.

You don't mention whether or not you are underway when the refer goes out. this has happened to us several times while traveling in high cross winds. We just turn it off and back on and it relights. It has also happened to us once while camped. It was also in very windy conditions. I would have the system checked to see if there is some technical problem.

As far as the drawers, you might want to take a look at those little plastic child proof clips.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:52 AM   #3
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Cool baby

Hi Matt and welcome to the forum!

Refers work in strange and mysterious ways

I just sacrificed a number of mice to the gods of cool, and that seems to have worked in my case.

It's all about heat. Provided by a flame or elec element.

A pizo elec spark starts the flame, like a barbecue. A controlboard tells the spark to fire.

If you listen, you can here the clicking of the spark!

You can remove the sheet metal plate (2 screws) on the right lower side in the back of the refer to revel the burner , flame sensor and pizo elec sparker. Once reveled you can see what is happening. While there are many who have much more knowledge on this subject, this is a good way to start the diagnosis .

Keep cool,

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Matt,

You did say the other LP appliances are working just fine so this is probably overkill -- On a new tank or in a unit that has been out of use, light a stovetop burner for a couple minutes to make sure there is LP back in the lines.

Enjoy your new-to-you Airstream! You're in a great part of the country for this.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
More Fridge wierdness

I am experiencing a similar problem. Fridge won't start up on electric (shore power), but will start with gas. Once it is running good I can switch it over to electric and it runs. After awhile it stops running on electric. Someone said that it may be the electric (12V?)refrigerator heater. I have to find out how to check that. Any suggestions?
cheers, bill b.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmst25
. . . does anyone have any advice on latches that can be used to hold doors shut. The installed latches seem to be pretty inconsistent in their ability to hold the doors shut. I would be interested in a latch that needs to be manually disengaged, but would like some other input. Thanks for your help.

Matt
And I had the same issues with the old latches, and found some new ones: See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...hes-31565.html
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:57 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
This seems to be a popular topic recently.
You need a baffle installed in your fridge compartment. I guess I will have to take a picture and post it. I had this problem until the factory installed baffle. If your trailer is under two years old a dealer may do it for free. Give AS of Spokane a call. 509-534-8599

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:38 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Longview , Washington
I have the problem with the fridge even when it's sitting still in the driveway. I'm not sure I understand what the function of the baffle is?
msmst25 is offline   Reply With Quote