Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2003, 11:35 PM   #1

Need renovation advice in New Orleans

I recently bought a 1972 Sovereign 31' in need of much repair.
Structural & cosmetic.
This is my first Airstream & I could use some advice on how to
proceed. If anyone lives in the New Orleans area & would be interested in taking a look at this project & imparting wisdom on a rookie.....it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
SurgiMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 06:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Well, you've come to the right place!,

Welcome to the forum and the best place to start is to just do a search on the particular item you are looking to fix.

I would start by assessing the exterior and structural condition, sealing any leaks, checking the axles, and looking for rear end sag or separation. Get the critical stuff out of the way and you will feel better about the petty things, like dropping $700 on new curtains or $1400 on a new fridge.

Figuring out what your end usage will be most helpful, if you are going to drag it around the country then new tires, brakes and possibly axles may be needed, if you're gonna park it and live in it then maybe not and so on, , , , ,

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 07:19 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

May be able to help a bit. I've had to do lots of research for sure and know alot more than when I started. Know a bit about where to get structural things done but I havent had to do anything beyond riveting. Great with cosmetic stuff. I'd be happy to talk to you. PM me with email address or #.

Heidi
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote