Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
Question Need parts -1991 34' Limited

G'day,
I have recently purchased a re-furbishing project.
1991 60th Aniversary 34' Classic Limited Edition
This will take a lot of work, but I bought it for only $2,000.00 so I can put a few dollars into it & still have a clear conscious & bank acount.
All exterior is in pretty good shape. One small dent in right rear corner that I can fix. All new tires in 2002.
Has 3 solar panels and battery charger. Do not know at this time if they work.
Interior is a different story.
Reefer was rebuilt in in 2003. New water heater in 2002. Nu-Tone kitchen center all works, but need a couple pieces. Still not sure of Air conditioner or the furnace, but they can be fixed or replaced.
The previous owner was a HEAVY SMOKER and had two small dogs she did not take care of. I have taken out all carpet & pads. Will replace after all other re-do stuff is done.
Have the ceiling, walls, cabinets, counters and bath room cleaned. but will clean them AGIAN.
I am throwing away the upholstry & foam for the dinnete & couch. Will buy all new foam and upholstry. Same goes for the matresses as this model has twin beds in the rear. I have a friend in the Upholstry business so not to expensive.

I will need to find and buy the following:
Front roof air vent w/fan, complete, to fit the curved roof.
Complete set of curtains, new or a good clean used set.. These are so stained from smoke I can NOT get them clean.

If someone knows where I can buy these items (and I am sure others) I will be thankful for the information.

Thanx,
Claude
catson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome!

Claude-
Welcome, and it sounds like a very special project you have acquired...

First most important message is to learn and practiuce the search tab above in blue bar.. You can click there as a member, type in a few key words, and find many prior messages on any subject you can think of around Airstreams...

Many have done complete or partial restorations, on large and small budgets.. No matter, you WILL get through this...

Here are some priorities from my POV...

1. When carpet is up thoroughly test integrity of plywood subfloor for water damage, or rot.. It is common, and SOOO much easier to fix now rather than later, and it must be fixed. IT is also a good time to look at furnace and plumbing issues.

2. Roof vent should be upgraded to new. Fantastic Fan makes geat unit and the factory will furnish ivory or white interior curved bezel to match ceiling. Search for "vent fan replacement" to see others' experience.. You can choose simple or thermostat controlled with rain sensing...

3. Several members here make replacement curtains (used are tough, due to minor sizing differences and fact people rarely dump til they're really bad...) Member name "Silver Threads" makes them to order, and two commercial shops advertise in Airstream WBCCI member mag: Fowler and JP Ambruso... A complete new set of Ambruso curtains, with liners and all mounting hardware will run over $1,000, just to pur boundaries on investments.. They are excellent, however..

4. A/C is easy to replace, though old unit might be coaxed out of retirement to work with care. DON'T plug it in to household circuit of less than 30 Amps, however, or you could damage compressor and have to buy a new one.. Furnace might also respond to cleaning and lubrication and removal of dust and/or critter stuff. If not, they are modular replacements as well.

5. Refrigerators are often problems. Dometic is common RV replacement, but not cheap. If you're going to travel, you need version that can run on propane (in most cases..). If you're going to park it, you could get away with 110V only model...

Good Luck, and let us know how it progresses...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Teeswater , Ontario
Wondering if you have photos of your project Airstream? Did you complete it??!

sKY::
skydiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by catson4
G'day,
I have recently purchased a re-furbishing project.
1991 60th Aniversary 34' Classic Limited Edition
This will take a lot of work, but I bought it for only $2,000.00 so I can put a few dollars into it & still have a clear conscious & bank acount.
All exterior is in pretty good shape. One small dent in right rear corner that I can fix. All new tires in 2002.
Has 3 solar panels and battery charger. Do not know at this time if they work.
Interior is a different story.
Reefer was rebuilt in in 2003. New water heater in 2002. Nu-Tone kitchen center all works, but need a couple pieces. Still not sure of Air conditioner or the furnace, but they can be fixed or replaced.
The previous owner was a HEAVY SMOKER and had two small dogs she did not take care of. I have taken out all carpet & pads. Will replace after all other re-do stuff is done.
Have the ceiling, walls, cabinets, counters and bath room cleaned. but will clean them AGIAN.
I am throwing away the upholstry & foam for the dinnete & couch. Will buy all new foam and upholstry. Same goes for the matresses as this model has twin beds in the rear. I have a friend in the Upholstry business so not to expensive.

I will need to find and buy the following:
Front roof air vent w/fan, complete, to fit the curved roof.
Complete set of curtains, new or a good clean used set.. These are so stained from smoke I can NOT get them clean.

If someone knows where I can buy these items (and I am sure others) I will be thankful for the information.

Thanx,
Claude
I just replaced all of my curtains...new ones will run you about $1,100. It makes a huge difference.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
some places

Quote:
Originally Posted by catson4 View Post
G'day,

...........If someone knows where I can buy these items (and I am sure others) I will be thankful for the information.

Thanx,
Claude
Claude,
Trying to get the front vent may be a challenge if your needing the whole unit complete. Some parts you can get and others you can not. If your wanting to keep it original then a used one is going to be your best bet. If not allot of folks go with a Fantastic Vent. They are very nice and pull allot of air.
For your other Airstream parts, you can get at any Airstream dealer to supply them if you know the part numbers. Out-of-Doors Mart has lots of parts on line and that is a good source for finding the part numbers. InlandRv has a lot of parts that you can't get any where else. Both of these places have been doing it for a long time.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Hey Dan, did you know you are responding to a 5 year old thread??
Old 05-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
All
I have tried to get in touch with Claude a couple of times in the past year...to no avail. He did repair his furnace and his floor to a degree. He didn't pull the OSB out of the C channel and was told by other members that the subfloor played an essential role in the structural integrity of the trailer. After that, discussion, Claude has not been active on the forum and may no longer own the trailer.

skydiva,
If you have questions about your 1991 Limited, I have one too. Actually there are several of us here on AirForums who have this same trailer. Apparently, the 34' Excella/Limited from about 1988 through 1992 were very similar. So there are a number of us who would try help with specific questions. Additionally, most everyone who is a member here tries to be helpful in general.
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:23 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
Update on Claude Brown's 1991 Airstream project.

My health went south without me in 2009. I have had a couple slow recovery years. And it does not look like I will be out RV'ing again soon. In fact, I just placed the Airstream up for sale at $10K
About my 1991 Airstream 34' Classic Limited 60th Anniversary Edition trailer: This was to be a project for my wife & myself to rebuild and trsvel in and then I lost her in 2007 after 44 years, 10 months and 26 days.
This is trailer #8 of 60 manufactured that year. I have ALL the original purchase paper work and a history of all repairs up to date. All of my work took place in 2008 & 2009.
My background in repairing a trailer like this is the fact that I have built several very successful boats, my own home (twice), rebuilt 3 motor homes. I am a Professional Parade Float Designer & Constructor. This is a field where everything has to be built from scratch. I know how to use tools correctly and how to find the correct procedures for a project from start to completion. We custom design & build our own self powered chassis from the ground up. But that is a different topic.

Here is a list of the trailer repairs completed to date: After stripping out the interior of the mess by disposing of the carpeting, upholstery, curtains and all other soft goods, I had a commercial company come in and clean the entire trailer. Walls, ceilings, floor & inside the cabinets. Next came the removal of all cabinet doors and hardware along with the reefer, water heater, air-conditioner and front fan, all lights and fixtures.
Next up was a double dose of an Ozone generator to kill off the odors of the heavy smoking & mildew. Then another round of washing down everything still attached.

Now time to inspect all the sub-flooring. The flooring was OSB & as there had been a slow leak in the bathroom faucet they had tried to fix with automotive type hose clamps, resulting a substantial amount of bathroom floor damage under the water heater area. The delaminating OSB also ran down the left side towards the left rear corner of the bedroom. The entire bedroom and bathroom floor was removed. Again the Ozone Generator came back in. The frame was cleaned and painted with POR-15 Rust Stop. New insulation installed.

About the floor repair: I see a rumor about the way I repaired the floor. New exterior plywood flooring was installed. The new flooring does go all the way out into the "C" channels. If it did not, the walls would have no support & fall down. I think anyone who checks my work will find I do not scrimp on products or on logical structural supports. The entire floor was sealed with Kilz primer.

Next up was getting the cabinets re-finished. A job all unto itself. Good walnut & I added new hardware. There is still one cabinet that needs some serious attention. The previous owner had cut out part of the cabinet that originally held the microwave. They cut it out to install a dishwasher that will hold 4 plates-4 cups and 4 glasses. A silly item in my opinion. I have a plan for the remodel of that cabinet but not put it into action. They installed a small microwave above the dishwasher. Both work just fine. The dishwasher is now a place for paper towels and such.

The following items were replaced with NEW REPLACEMENTS in 2008: Dometic Classic Reefer/Freezer, model #2820; Price-Pfister kitchen faucet w/spray hose; Fan-Tastic Automatic roof vent; Custom made Curtains by Forum member " Silver Threads" ; Attwood Water 6 gallon heater -electric and/or propane; Air Conditioner- Duo-Therm; TV Antenna; Twin Mattress foam; Reese Dual Cam High-performance sway control; Rebuilt Suburban NT35K propane central heating furnace w/ new circuit board and fan; all new air ducts ; Plumbing repaired w/ PEX plumbing System. New window trim around the front 3 windows.
Front access door w/lock (Still NEW IN BOX w/all parts and rivets) Upper Running Lights Replaced w/LED's (I have the LED's for the lower units also) Carpet in Bedroom; Pergo style flooring on the rest of the Floor space; All SOLID WALNUT CABENETS &TRIM REFINISHED; New Foam & Upholstery on Gaucho type front couch (arms are not completed) & all of the Dinette Cushions; Lights repaired or replaced as needed.
I purchased all of my sealers, caulks & rivets from Inland RV. Other items from various other suppliers I deal with all the time or from ones I found through the Airstream Forum
There is still some work to do but easy items that I can show you how to do. Window valances need recovered & installed. New mini blinds to install. A pair of new lights over the 2 side windows in the front room need replaced.
And then there is the dent in the right rear corner that can be "ironed" out if the correct "wheel & press block" is turned out on a lathe.
The trailer travels just fine as is but I have lost interest. Not much fun by myself with all my oxygen gear. So the trailer is on the market.

Thanx for asking about me & my "stream.
Claude Brown
1991 34' 60th Aniversary Limited Edition #008
2007 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
One big parade float & a 40' Wells Cargo 5th wheel trlr.

"Wake each morning & Smile at the GREAT DAY you about to experience"

www.catson4ponds.com
catson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
My bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
Hey Dan, did you know you are responding to a 5 year old thread??
I did not. I just saw it in the portal from a post on the day before and chimed in. My bad.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by catson4 View Post
About the floor repair: I see a rumor about the way I repaired the floor. New exterior plywood flooring was installed. The new flooring does go all the way out into the "C" channels. If it did not, the walls would have no support & fall down. I think anyone who checks my work will find I do not scrimp on products or on logical structural supports. The entire floor was sealed with Kilz primer.

Claude Brown
Claude,
I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. I understand how health and personal losses can derail one's plans. I had two strokes in 1999 and although I've made good recoveries from both, there are still some limitations and challenges.

I apologize if I've mis-characterized your approach to the floor repair of your trailer. I'm basing my comments on your posts (and others) in a thread "Lots of Rotten Floor" that Vernon (AKA HiHoAgRV) was doing on his trailer. Here are the two posts that I was referencing: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...tml#post736939 and http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...tml#post737365.

I hope that your health improves and that you can sell your trailer as it appears that you've certainly done a lot of hard work on the restoration of the trailer.

All my best,

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@LED4RV View Post
I did not. I just saw it in the portal from a post on the day before and chimed in. My bad.
Not to worry, it happens to all of us, sooner or later!! LOL
Old 05-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Claude, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of you wife and your health problems. It sounds as if you have put a lot of time and $$ into your '91. If my truck could handle it, I might be interested, but it maxxes out at 6000#. I think for the price you are asking, you should not have a problem selling it. Good luck to you.