Old 11-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
Need ideas for maintenance prep for a marine environment

We are considering an opportunity that involves living in our Airstream on North Padre Island very near the gulf (1/4 mile) for 8-10 weeks. Any suggestions for preventative measures should we take to protect outer surfaces, electrical connections, etc of our trailer & truck?

Thank you!
Victoria & Joseph

Victoria & Joseph
2006 30' Classic
1970 25' Trade Wind Custom Renovation
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Assuming that you are referring to protection from corrosion from the salt air, I can tell you what we, as Canadians, do to protect our vehicles from corrosion from the salt that is spread on the roads to melt ice in the winter.

First, I get the truck sprayed with a type of drip-less oil (looks almost like Vaseline). The stuff is sprayed under all fenders, inside all doors and the engine compartment. For example, see Antirouille Barry's Rustproofing who does this in Montreal. As well, I had an electronic module that is a form of sacrificial anode installed on the truck - see CounterAct Electronic Rust Protection System | Canadian Tire

Exterior surfaces should be waxed. I got a can of the undercoating spray Rust Check Coat & Protect | Canadian Tire to spray under the trailer where there are exposed metal.

You will also need to hose off the truck and trailer from time to time to wash off the salt that the mist deposits.

Let's see what others say.

AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Corrosion X, sold by Aircraft Spruce and others, is what we used on our Coast Guard Aircraft when I was still on active duty. Spray it on before you go, wash well and reapply when you can and certainly when you get home. Not foolproof but worked pretty well on aircraft that spent their whole working lives down in a terribly corrosive environment.

n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I have found CorrosionX sprayed on the fittings, rivets, and cut edges of the shell with excess wiped off, and Boeshield T-9 (leaves a protective paraffin wax) on the underbody to be effective corrosion protection. The more salt exposure the more I would use.

Even then, if you have no corrosion now, you will probably be disappointed after those 8-10 weeks sitting on the coast.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
What's buried within the underbelly, will take a big beating from the salt air.

A good prevention would be to drop the complete underbelly and spray every piece of the steel with a good thick coat of undercoating.

Granted lots of work, but far less than replacing the complete chassis, as some have had to do.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote