Old 05-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1998 30' Limited
garden Ridge , Texas
Need help with leak

I have a 1998 30 foot Classic Limited and it has a leak when it rains. The water shows up next to the sofa on the curb side under the arm and right near the very front of the trailer. It is not a very bad leak, but definitely needs to be fixed. I am thinking that the water might be coming in at the bottom rail where the side of the trailer meets the dark gray part that curves to go under the trailer. There is a trim piece there that I believe is screwed on and then there is a black plastic inset material that covers the screws. I am not certain if this point is above or below the actual floor of the trailer. I am aware that with an Airstream the water could be coming from some point far from where it finally shows up, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Does it have Vista windows? Mine vista windows leaked between the glass and the frame. Rotted out a piece of the OSB about where you describe. And yeah, the leak could be at the trim or a lot of other places.

Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
When I first got my '87 Excella in 2011, it had mould at the same place. JC fixed it - it was the window seal behind the rock guard. AT the same time, they redid all the seals in the front windows and it has been leak-free ever since.
AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
I sealed my windows on our 1999 34' Excella for same floor damage caused by water leakin "somewhere!!!!"

I slowed but did not stop it if wind is moving just right stopped or underway.

Last area which appears to have resolved the issue???????? Seal behind the upper clearance lights.

I removed the light from the aluminum mount and sure enough... Big hole where wires exit the shell!!!

I GENTLY massaged slack in wires then sealed all holes in the housing. Replaced the lamp assembly and had a few rainstorms and downpours with NO penetration... Yet.

This is a task which is ongoing. No AS wears out overnight. Your use and care will determine length of service.
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
There is a break in the C-channel in that location so the leak could be anywhere. Water hits the C-channel then funnels to the nearest open spot and pours out on the floor.

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
I own a '96 excella and noticed a brown to light tan stain on the floor, wicking up the curb side lower wall and arm of the couch. Sounds like the same area you are describing. I inspected around the openings on the roof and noticed some cracking in the tar around the front skylight/vent. I had my wife hangout on the couch, while I sprayed water with a hose onto the roof in a "rain (typhoon) like" fashion and was able to create the leak. It was dripping from the interior end cap seam, where the vinyl and hard plastic come together. Since the leak was on the roof and appearance is not an issue, I used a hefty amount of pro seal sealant around all the openings (including A/C and TV antenna). After application, I turned on the typhoon and was not able to re-create the leak. Leak free since 2010 with year round camping in the Pacific Northwest.
Hope this helps!

heehawjoekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
1998 30' Limited
garden Ridge , Texas
Thanks for the suggestions. I will pursue them and hopefully can get this leak fixed. I spoke to the Airstream factory today and they suggested that the leak could be coming from the area where the awning meets with the roof. He said there is a channel under that and that if the water gets in it will then come out of the end of the channel in the front of the trailer and show up in the area where my leak appears. Today i also noticed a small crack in the black plastic curb side battery box. I notice that my leak is particularly bad when driving in the rain. So, maybe that is part of my problem. Tomorrow I plan to get the garden hose and start low to try to recreate the leak.
Crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member
orlando , Florida
Take a water hose and ladder and have someone inside the trailer watching each zone carefully. Start the water flow (Low Pressure- No Overspray) at the lowest hight . Work your way up each area of trailer. Lower trim, Windo , Upper Window Above door, Roof Edge, Center roof, Far Roof etc. etc. The spotter on inside will see the water leak. Have them Yell STOP!! when they see water-

Buy your non silicone material from VTS -

summerj is offline   Reply With Quote