Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #241
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Aluminum wire is a reason to remove wiring.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #242
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Yes, aluminum wiring is a good reason. Kind of scary considering how old and camping with 3 kids and possibly a dog, but I hope not the dog. It has rained here the last few days, so I worked on fun stuff. I started making window treatments! I am so excited about how they turned out. I got black out lining to help with insulation and light. I used an indoor outdoor type fabric for durability. I noticed when I took out the old shades of the vista view windows, they were literally burned from the heat. Ashes fell down! These treatments should help with that. So excited to work on something that I am an expert on and know what I am doing and don't have to get help from anyone else. LOL. Well, my sister and I did work together on them, but not giving instruction type of working together. :-). I will post pictures soon,
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #243
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Take the dog pokey and tootle bug are going with us!!wire replace good curtains no comment not my fort'e at least youdid some work I have nothing accomplished today!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #244
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
My AS had no curtains and the vista view covers were burned, literally.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #245
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAStreamin View Post
My AS had no curtains and the vista view covers were burned, literally.

Check these out for your vista view covers

OceanAir CABINshade (RAILshade) from Zarcor, an authorized Oceanair Dealer, reseller.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #246
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Nice..! Not cheap, but nice.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #247
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
These are cool. I have seen them, but I think I can make something that looks pretty good too.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #248
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Thanks for sharing. Good to know in case mine are a flop. :-)
Old 06-11-2013, 02:35 AM   #249
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Oh heck no yours will be awesome cuz you made them!!! Be POSITIVE! Anybody can buy them but it is much much more special when you can make them. Pictures please! do a side by side yours and the sweat shop special. Have a great day!
Cliff
Old 06-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #250
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Oh heck no yours will be awesome cuz you made them!!! Be POSITIVE! Anybody can buy them but it is much much more special when you can make them. Pictures please! do a side by side yours and the sweat shop special. Have a great day!
Cliff
That is true! LOL thanks for the encouragement. It is special when you do anything yourself. I have found that out on this project. I know one thing no Velcro! The PO must have used Velcro to hold up treatments and it was awful to get off the screens when I went to repaint and rescreen them. I will put up pics today or tomorrow. I don't have the vista view ones done. I am waiting on the curtain wire I ordered. It should be here today. I got my outriggers for the welder yesterday. He is suppose to be finished with my back crossmember and coming out here tomorrow. I am busy being taxi Mama today hauling kids to this and that, so I won't be able to work much. Thanks Cliff!!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #251
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
New Bern , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Crackers View Post
I knew you were going to ask that. If I can't caption: 'a' generally signifies 'before' and 'b' is 'after. This may take a couple posts. I have many more, but they might be more appropriate if you have specific questions.
Hi, your as 77 looks kinda like my 79 which I purchased in March 2013. I have to replace my water lines and I would also like to replace the charging system. I also am thinking about replacing my gas lines. I have so much to do, your 77 looks great enjoy!!!!
Dyoung59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #252
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Waynesville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyoung59 View Post
Hi, your as 77 looks kinda like my 79 which I purchased in March 2013. I have to replace my water lines and I would also like to replace the charging system. I also am thinking about replacing my gas lines. I have so much to do, your 77 looks great enjoy!!!!
Thanks. We do enjoy it. You'll find that there's always something to do but if those are your highest priorities, you're going to get off easy. Good luck
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #253
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Dyoung59 we are in relative terms right next door here in Newport we are more concerned with flying branches then the wind itself! Nice airstream!
Cliff
Old 06-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #254
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Outrigger Question

I got my outrigger parts. In my manual, the three final outriggers on the left from the inside are labeled 18, 24 and 24. So I ordered the part with the part numbers for the part pictures. 18 is shown on left and right. When I received the, one of the outriggers is for the right instead of the left. The flanges (?) face forward instead of back. Will that make a difference? I can see from an aerodynamic stance it is not efficient, but the frame is covered with the bellypan. I am just wondering whether to send it back or just go ahead with it. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #255
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Think rain and where will the water sit?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #256
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Think rain and where will the water sit?
This is the outrigger on frame and will be covered with bellypan. Rain shouldn't be on it much and it is open outrigger that would just face the per way, the ledge part anyway.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #257
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It should not make a difference. You might have to shift the outriggers forwards or back so the center of it is at a joint. In my opinion if there is a joint you need a wider flange than an outrigger so each floor segment can have its own row of bolts. The end of each outrigger should be attached with a screw through the c-channel and floor. If you get sloppy with outrigger or crossmember placement you are going to miss it when you drill holes in the floor. If you are not 100% sure where a crossmember is you can use a piece of wire for holding up insulation under a house. You chuck this wire in the drill then hold the end of it with your hand and let it drill a very small hole in the floor until the wire pokes through and now you can tell where you are relative to the crossmember by looking from underneath where the wire comes out. You measure over to the crossmember and then use that same dimension to locate the 1/4" hole for the elevator bolts.

Perry
Old 06-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #258
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
It should not make a difference. You might have to shift the outriggers forwards or back so the center of it is at a joint. In my opinion if there is a joint you need a wider flange than an outrigger so each floor segment can have its own row of bolts. The end of each outrigger should be attached with a screw through the c-channel and floor. If you get sloppy with outrigger or crossmember placement you are going to miss it when you drill holes in the floor. If you are not 100% sure where a crossmember is you can use a piece of wire for holding up insulation under a house. You chuck this wire in the drill then hold the end of it with your hand and let it drill a very small hole in the floor until the wire pokes through and now you can tell where you are relative to the crossmember by looking from underneath where the wire comes out. You measure over to the crossmember and then use that same dimension to locate the 1/4" hole for the elevator bolts.

Perry
So placing it back the way it was originally is a safe way to be sure? I don't know if I have the expertise to make wider flanges, but I will look at that.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #259
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The way my floor was built the joints have a row of bolts in the seam between the two sections of floor. They used corrugated nails to pull the two halves together before putting in the bolts. This is not a real strong way to make a floor joint but that is what they did.

You can weld a piece of angle to the outrigger to make it wider. See if yours is made the same way as mine.

Perry
Old 06-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #260
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Yes, mine has a row of elevator bolts and the corrugated nails. My seam is running right on a crossmember and then an outrigger with one closely behind for support, I assume. I can see that making it wider would be easier, but I am wondering if it is necessary. Sure wish I could add more support to the bath area just pass outriggers.