Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by putback View Post
I'm guessing Ultradog is misunderstood. A little inside peek at old school restorer customs, from the days of radiator caps outside the cowl to 3 duce 389s. Often these old phrases are intended as a complement given to someone you respect and consider a peer. Odds are you won't hear it if they don't consider you worthy! Proper etiquette in this case would require a response similar to. "Yea, but if I wanted a new rig I'd buy it with a new cap"! A little friendly banter eases the frustration and busted knuckles.
Thanks, I'll assume the best!
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #122
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
GAStreamin, You can't polish a new AS!! More important, it sounds like your uncle loved his rig and you're are carrying on the tradition and that's what it's all about. I've read just about every restoration thread on this forum. Listened to every podcast from thevap.com. And I still can't get enough! For some reason, your Airstream project stands out. You're right, it takes endurance. It takes asking questions. You've got a whole crew standing by to help. By the way, I love clecos. Didn't know anything about them before my project. I love what they do. I love saying the word "clecos". Yes, I'm weird.
surfpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfpod View Post
GAStreamin, You can't polish a new AS!! More important, it sounds like your uncle loved his rig and you're are carrying on the tradition and that's what it's all about. I've read just about every restoration thread on this forum. Listened to every podcast from thevap.com. And I still can't get enough! For some reason, your Airstream project stands out. You're right, it takes endurance. It takes asking questions. You've got a whole crew standing by to help. By the way, I love clecos. Didn't know anything about them before my project. I love what they do. I love saying the word "clecos". Yes, I'm weird.
Exactly! I look forward to polishing it! I am saving that for last. I am trying to read everything I can as well. It is addicting. I REALLY appreciate the crew standing by to help. I just got my box of clecos and new gaskets today. It is a funny word, not weird to like it at all. :-)

Our story gets more interesting by the day. As soon as I got the Airstream, I joined the WBICC and when I received the member directory, I looked in there to see if there are any other members with our last name. We found some of my husband's family in there. Yes, the same husband, who has not been interested in camping and the Airstream Project. He calls his cousin, who is a member of WBICC, to get his thoughts and advice for me. He finds out that his family owns the oldest operating Airstream. They are quite the Airstream legacy. Haha! So, we are headed to visit and see the Airstream. We will post pictures when we do. Needless to say, the hubs is taking a bit more interest in "my little" project/ passion. Thanks for all cheers. Now, it is back to studying frames and chassis. :-)
Old 05-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #124
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAStreamin View Post
...you will see why I am trying to do this despite my ignorance.
Just to let you know that I think we all realize you use this term - "ignorance" - in the strict, technical sense of the word: not in the negative sense; you simply "don't know." I am pleased you are not only willing to learn, but willing to ask questions. Many won't even do that! And, we all learn that way, on these forums, from the questions of one and the answers by others. So... seeing your "hubs" new-found interest in this project, isn't it going to be sweet when HE doesn't know something and you can enlighten him with your knowledge!
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #125
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
More pics of your progress would quiet the darkness.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:39 AM   #126
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
Don't let Mr. Ultradog get to you. That wasn't very nice, Mr. Ultradog!

Interesting take on something that was meant to be amusing.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #127
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
The problem with online conversations is that the others can't see your grin when you're cracking wise and take it seriously.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog

Not that it's any of my business, but I actually thought you were trying to be amusing with the radiator cap story (I chuckled!) and beckybillrae was also trying to be amusing by "fake-chastising" you for your reply.

At least - that's how I chose to infer things. Those silly little emoticons can really help in a place where you have to fill in the blanks without hearing inflection or seeing body language.

Just one guy's $0.02
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #129
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Of course, it was all in jest!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post

We are ALL going to take it as a joke, a sort of initiation into the restoration club and chuckle and move on. Time to talk about the actual restoration. Unfortunately, nothing new until tomorrow as I am at a practicum this week for my other life. Haha.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAStreamin

We are ALL going to take it as a joke, a sort of initiation into the restoration club and chuckle and move on. Time to talk about the actual restoration. Unfortunately, nothing new until tomorrow as I am at a practicum this week for my other life. Haha.
Agreed all the way around - including the notion that some things are just getting in the way of airstreaming! :dangitall!!:

:-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #132
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay so you are doing shell on? And gonna check the tanks for serviceability you have your clecos and cleco pliers. So progress? I have done some rivet drilling and am waiting on a few parts then more work. I am still having fun how about you? Still trying to find the owner of a overlander we found in a storage lot but it is a secret we are not allowed to know! Got to finish the caravel first anyway so oh well . Any more pictures?
Old 05-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Okay so you are doing shell on? And gonna check the tanks for serviceability you have your clecos and cleco pliers. So progress? I have done some rivet drilling and am waiting on a few parts then more work. I am still having fun how about you? Still trying to find the owner of a overlander we found in a storage lot but it is a secret we are not allowed to know! Got to finish the caravel first anyway so oh well . Any more pictures?
Glad you checked back in. I have had to take off to " work" I had a practicum, so now I can get back to what I love. I am still going with the shell on. Most of my frame looks great. I will check tanks tomorrow and then I am going to take up subfloor so welder can get to the end of the frame. I am still having fun and can't wait to get back to doing what I love and my new found stress reliever. I saw the thread about you trying to find the owner of the overlander. Why can't you leave them a note on the airstream or put a sign up to call you. Sorry no pictures yet. Maybe tomorrow. What parts are you waiting on? I can't decide if a rivet remover is worth it. So far I have just used a bit or on the outside to get bellypan down, I had to use a chisel and hammer. It worked well.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:47 AM   #134
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Still waiting on the pigtail(for trailer electric) and por15. Seems to be taking forever. Shell off for me had many reasons but I am also having a blast! Pictures soon on the caravel site.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:07 AM   #135
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Oh yes as for the storage lot as these nice (using it loosely) people will not pass attach or allow notes. On top of that the highest that I would go is 1k because she has been very unloved! Farm finds are easier to work with because they get tired of looking at them in the field. That is if they will talk to strangers. Funny how we tell our kids not to talk to strangers but want other people to talk to us as strangers. You are doing great still we all have other obligations. My youngest is about to have twins and I have 4 grandchildren already!
Old 05-16-2013, 05:10 AM   #136
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Hammer and chisel make great rivet removers the belly pan has some different sizes (wide flange rivets are 5/32) and they spin in the hole which will make a sane person swear!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #137
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Have you gotten the wide flange trivets yet? They add holding strength to the belly pan and VTS amongst other people carry them! Worth it!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #138
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
That is rivets sorry for the fat fingers.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #139
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I bolted my lower skins on, at least between the frame rails, so I can get under there and make sure the frame and floor etc are still in good shape. There is nothing more aggravating than having to drill rivets out to access the underbelly. There are some here who like drilling rivets and probably have rivets holding the medicine cabinet door shut. They may even put rivets on their cereal in the morning. I guess it is therapy for some and torture others. A sharp wood chisel and hammer will get the spinners out but you still have to drill the rest out of the back side. Spring loaded center punches will get the part stuck in the wall sometimes. Just pop the center and what is left of the center section comes out and the rivet goes with it. If there rivet is steel core the chisel won't work. Usually, the steel parts rusts in the center. Those you have to drill out. Most should be aluminum but you find some oddballs and repairs using steel core pop rivets.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #140
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I bolted my lower skins on, at least between the frame rails, so I can get under there and make sure the frame and floor etc are still in good shape. There is nothing more aggravating than having to drill rivets out to access the underbelly. There are some here who like drilling rivets and probably have rivets holding the medicine cabinet door shut. They may even put rivets on their cereal in the morning. I guess it is therapy for some and torture others. A sharp wood chisel and hammer will get the spinners out but you still have to drill the rest out of the back side. Spring loaded center punches will get the part stuck in the wall sometimes. Just pop the center and what is left of the center section comes out and the rivet goes with it. If there rivet is steel core the chisel won't work. Usually, the steel parts rusts in the center. Those you have to drill out. Most should be aluminum but you find some oddballs and repairs using steel core pop rivets.

Perry
So Perry, you are saying you bolted the bellypan back on? Did you seal the sides? I am trying picture it in my mind and what was the original intent in using rivets. What are you bolting it back to? the side wraps? the frame? Most rivets were aluminum. I had few that were drilled out, but the others with a chisel and a hammer, at least to get it down. I want to drop the whole pan, but I have only got part way. Headed to work on it at 5. I have not had the joy of putting rivets back in. I am sure that is much more fun especially with a pnuematic rivet gun. I have removed so many rivets at this point, I am not sure I care about seeing anymore. I can see someone liking them if they have never removed as many as I have. I went to take better pictures today and my SIM card is full. I'll get another. One more thing to have to run to the store to get. That is the downside this project, always having to go get one more thing. I tried to take pictures of the large tear I have in one of my side (banana wraps). Someone just riveted a small piece of metal over it, but I am thinking it should be replaced.