Old 05-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Don't let Mr. Ultradog get to you. That wasn't very nice, Mr. Ultradog! You'll learn as you go, as most of us have. You should do a lot of reading of other restorations while you're on your breaks, because they'll help you a great deal.

I agree with the buying of a new trailer. It's much more fun to have the satisfaction of making one (or three as a lot of people have!) your own.

Fill up your tanks. If they leak, look into where to get new ones. If they don't, keep them & clean them out with some bleachy water & you'll be set!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
Don't let Mr. Ultradog get to you. That wasn't very nice, Mr. Ultradog! You'll learn as you go, as most of us have. You should do a lot of reading of other restorations while you're on your breaks, because they'll help you a great deal.

I agree with the buying of a new trailer. It's much more fun to have the satisfaction of making one (or three as a lot of people have!) your own.

Fill up your tanks. If they leak, look into where to get new ones. If they don't, keep them & clean them out with some bleachy water & you'll be set!
Very encouraging! I will try that with the tanks! I read restorations every single day. I am reading one tonight in fact. It is sometimes discouraging to read along and then it just stops and you assume it was never finished. As far as Ultradog, he doesn't get to me. I am not discouraged. I am determined what I need to do and what I want to do. If someone doesn't like it, they don't have to read it. I am not ashamed that I am learning. That is what this forum is for: TO LEARN. Thanks for you encouragement and help! I am grateful for those who do help! :-)

Old 05-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Side note... I think ultradog's post was intended to be funny in an ironic sort of way...I doubt any harm intended there...

Glad you're learning and totally agree - nothing to be ashamed of there! My wife and I bought brand new and have tons to learn - probably will for years. It's a blast!!
:-)
Old 05-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:

I also read on another refurbishment thread where another forum member responded "that is why they make new ones for people that don't know what they are doing." That was a pretty blunt statement, so I was not completely surprised. I knew there was a group on here that have that mindset. I don't have that mindset even about things I am an expert on, so to each his own. :-)
Old 05-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #117
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
I'm guessing Ultradog is misunderstood. A little inside peek at old school restorer customs, from the days of radiator caps outside the cowl to 3 duce 389s. Often these old phrases are intended as a complement given to someone you respect and consider a peer. Odds are you won't hear it if they don't consider you worthy! Proper etiquette in this case would require a response similar to. "Yea, but if I wanted a new rig I'd buy it with a new cap"! A little friendly banter eases the frustration and busted knuckles.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
You can pick up plugs at a plumbing supply store and fill the tanks just remember when your done empty them because any extra pressure can cause damage to even a new tank. (hydrodynamics) also if they do not leak refil leaving the vent open and put some tank treatment in them let them soak! We call it bleach or you can use a mild acid ment for water treatment.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I thought about doing the radiator cap thing subing tire for the cap but she would go for it to me to "get back to work" lol
Old 05-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Not go for it darn fingers!
Old 05-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by putback View Post
I'm guessing Ultradog is misunderstood. A little inside peek at old school restorer customs, from the days of radiator caps outside the cowl to 3 duce 389s. Often these old phrases are intended as a complement given to someone you respect and consider a peer. Odds are you won't hear it if they don't consider you worthy! Proper etiquette in this case would require a response similar to. "Yea, but if I wanted a new rig I'd buy it with a new cap"! A little friendly banter eases the frustration and busted knuckles.
Thanks, I'll assume the best!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #122
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
GAStreamin, You can't polish a new AS!! More important, it sounds like your uncle loved his rig and you're are carrying on the tradition and that's what it's all about. I've read just about every restoration thread on this forum. Listened to every podcast from thevap.com. And I still can't get enough! For some reason, your Airstream project stands out. You're right, it takes endurance. It takes asking questions. You've got a whole crew standing by to help. By the way, I love clecos. Didn't know anything about them before my project. I love what they do. I love saying the word "clecos". Yes, I'm weird.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfpod View Post
GAStreamin, You can't polish a new AS!! More important, it sounds like your uncle loved his rig and you're are carrying on the tradition and that's what it's all about. I've read just about every restoration thread on this forum. Listened to every podcast from thevap.com. And I still can't get enough! For some reason, your Airstream project stands out. You're right, it takes endurance. It takes asking questions. You've got a whole crew standing by to help. By the way, I love clecos. Didn't know anything about them before my project. I love what they do. I love saying the word "clecos". Yes, I'm weird.
Exactly! I look forward to polishing it! I am saving that for last. I am trying to read everything I can as well. It is addicting. I REALLY appreciate the crew standing by to help. I just got my box of clecos and new gaskets today. It is a funny word, not weird to like it at all. :-)

Our story gets more interesting by the day. As soon as I got the Airstream, I joined the WBICC and when I received the member directory, I looked in there to see if there are any other members with our last name. We found some of my husband's family in there. Yes, the same husband, who has not been interested in camping and the Airstream Project. He calls his cousin, who is a member of WBICC, to get his thoughts and advice for me. He finds out that his family owns the oldest operating Airstream. They are quite the Airstream legacy. Haha! So, we are headed to visit and see the Airstream. We will post pictures when we do. Needless to say, the hubs is taking a bit more interest in "my little" project/ passion. Thanks for all cheers. Now, it is back to studying frames and chassis. :-)
Old 05-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #124
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAStreamin View Post
...you will see why I am trying to do this despite my ignorance.
Just to let you know that I think we all realize you use this term - "ignorance" - in the strict, technical sense of the word: not in the negative sense; you simply "don't know." I am pleased you are not only willing to learn, but willing to ask questions. Many won't even do that! And, we all learn that way, on these forums, from the questions of one and the answers by others. So... seeing your "hubs" new-found interest in this project, isn't it going to be sweet when HE doesn't know something and you can enlighten him with your knowledge!
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #125
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
More pics of your progress would quiet the darkness.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #126
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Don't let Mr. Ultradog get to you. That wasn't very nice, Mr. Ultradog!

Interesting take on something that was meant to be amusing.