Old 05-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
You don't have to take out all the interior walls to get the bathroom out. It's a lot easier to replace stuff if you can see what you are replacing while it is in its normal place.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
You don't have to take out all the interior walls to get the bathroom out. It's a lot easier to replace stuff if you can see what you are replacing while it is in its normal place.
The main reason I am taking out interior walls is to be able to get to the rotten subfloor. We also want to reinsulate. We plan to put different walls up, but we kept them for templates. :-)

Old 05-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Just take out what you have to take out to get the bathroom out. If you are going to replace all the floor then taking the shell off might be the way to go but that can get involved. I had to replace the last 4 ft of floor in mine but I have a rear bedroom so it was much easier to get to the rear floor. There are many others who have undertaken what you are about to and they have more experience than me with the rear bathroom rear end sag etc.

The floor goes between the shell and frame. You are going to need some frame work and a couple of new cross members. The details will be determined by what you find next.

Perry
Old 05-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Just take out what you have to take out to get the bathroom out. If you are going to replace all the floor then taking the shell off might be the way to go but that can get involved. I had to replace the last 4 ft of floor in mine but I have a rear bedroom so it was much easier to get to the rear floor. There are many others who have undertaken what you are about to and they have more experience than me with the rear bathroom rear end sag etc.

The floor goes between the shell and frame. You are going to need some frame work and a couple of new cross members. The details will be determined by what you find next.

Perry
I would like to get away with not taking shell off and replacing subfloor, but that might be more trouble especially since I need to get to the frame. It would be so much easier to work on frame and subfloor if frame was off. We definitely have the place and the ability to do it, I am just afraid of not being able to get it back on. I will just have to cross that bridge when I get to it. For now, I have to focus on the very next thing and that is getting the bath out. Hope that can be done tomorrow. I want to keep all of that and put it back. I will post after I get it out.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:21 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay let me ask a safety question here ! What is supporting the back end of the trailer when you are under it? I noticed in your pictures rust has damaged the main frame rails! And please remember that some of the materials that you are dealing are hazards to the lungs! Fiberglass can kill as the lungs cannot eject it!
Old 05-04-2013, 05:56 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Safety!!

okay I have in the past been assigned with the job as safety nco/rep and this was mainly due to my line of work! So just for your sake please 1. Do NOT work under nonsupported structures (trailers) and the support should be able to hold at least twice the weight of the item being supported! 2. When removing hazardous materials such as fiberglass, (insulation) asbestos which is a killer (original tile when broken releases asbestos) you should have at a minimum or long sleevess and a respirator and when you are done with the work remove these items BEFORE going inside or picking up hugging or handling food or drink! Gloves prevent cuts and contamination the can lead to hepatitis which can occure when contaminants (ruptured pluming or rodent waste) enter the body through cuts on hands. 3.losing your eyesight can occure when rivet shavings fly and land in unprotected eyes. Sorry but I had to for some unknown reason post this!!! My soulmate is my safety rep when working on the trailer and yes I do forget to put it on but she keeps me good!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
A strong foundation is key!

Great work so far, GAStreamin! A woman's work is never done! I'm finishing up my "full monte" after a couple of years in the driveway. One of my mistakes was throwing out old parts too quickly. I think you're correct in taking out all of the interior to see everything. You have the room. A level surface is key. I am glad I got down to the frame. Rust proofed. New sealed plywood. New insulation. If you plan on keeping and using your rig, I believe it's worth the extra work in the beginning. Especially, with a 31' AS. Now, to stop the rain...
Old 05-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
Axles

Oh yeah, how old are the axles? Are they original? There are discussions on the forums about the need for replacing old axles even though they look fine.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
okay I have in the past been assigned with the job as safety nco/rep and this was mainly due to my line of work! So just for your sake please 1. Do NOT work under nonsupported structures (trailers) and the support should be able to hold at least twice the weight of the item being supported! 2. When removing hazardous materials such as fiberglass, (insulation) asbestos which is a killer (original tile when broken releases asbestos) you should have at a minimum or long sleevess and a respirator and when you are done with the work remove these items BEFORE going inside or picking up hugging or handling food or drink! Gloves prevent cuts and contamination the can lead to hepatitis which can occure when contaminants (ruptured pluming or rodent waste) enter the body through cuts on hands. 3.losing your eyesight can occure when rivet shavings fly and land in unprotected eyes. Sorry but I had to for some unknown reason post this!!! My soulmate is my safety rep when working on the trailer and yes I do forget to put it on but she keeps me good!
I am very grateful for your safety advice! That is why I am on here. I want the help of others who know more than me. I have not been able to find it locally or in person so I have turned to the forums. I did not under the trailer yet, but when I do I have supports I will definitely use. As far as insulation, I did wear long sleeves and gloves, but I should have worn a mask. I will get one today. What do you mean about a respirator? I do have these great safety glasses I wear to prevent rivet shavings. I can see that could be dangerous. If you have any other safety tips, please send them my way. I am a mama that has 3 children, 8, 10, and newly 13 to raise. I can't be sick, hurt or worse. Thanks. :-)
Old 05-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfpod View Post
Oh yeah, how old are the axles? Are they original? There are discussions on the forums about the need for replacing old axles even though they look fine.
I am not sure how old they are. The tire place here said they were fine, but someone said on here I need to look up how to see the pad/cushioning, that they might need replacing. I have not looked into that yet, but I will. Axles are expensive, but I wouldn't want to do all this work one to have it ruined with bad axles. Thanks! Oh, and more rain today! I can work, it just goes slower. First, heading to get safety supplies. It is encouraging to know you have been there done that! Stand close by for further questions. Haha
Old 05-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Great work and being safe is not only for us but as you said the ones we love a respirator unlike the standard face mask has filters and fits with an airtight seal on your face the filters are replaceable. You can find it at lowes or home depot. When you were pulling the Fiberglas from down below you probably noticed what looked like dust, those were tiny broken Fiberglas particles which remain airborne for a few minutes. You are doing great and learn fast so it will go well for you!
Old 05-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Couldn't get much done today for the heavy rain. I did buy safety equipment and other supplies and worked on screens. Sigh. Maybe tomorrow the weather will be better.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:37 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I know the feeling I have been waiting for the sun myself and watching the weather shows that we are expecting rain through the first part of the week which is okay for the morning I (mid worker) sleep and no better weather to sleep in than cool rain. Will be doing some inside work as I have set a goal and plan to do something no matter how small each day! Good luck and have a great day.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay I am out of storage and work space so guess it is time to rent a locker for temp storage so I can get the frame and floor done.