Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2013, 03:37 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I know the feeling I have been waiting for the sun myself and watching the weather shows that we are expecting rain through the first part of the week which is okay for the morning I (mid worker) sleep and no better weather to sleep in than cool rain. Will be doing some inside work as I have set a goal and plan to do something no matter how small each day! Good luck and have a great day.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay I am out of storage and work space so guess it is time to rent a locker for temp storage so I can get the frame and floor done.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Ok big day! We got a lot done and even the hubs helped! Bathroom out! Yuck! More and more pink cotton candy out! Yuck! I have tennis elbow, blisters, etc. Just took Tylenol. I am so tired and sore, but soooo excited. I am ready for next big step. I know the photos are not great as it got dark on us as we finished. The other pic is showing what the kids are doing while we work, playing airsoft battles while we work. We had 6 kids today. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-374280835.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	185191   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-458026151.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	522.7 KB
ID:	185192  

Name:	image-3427472248.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	185193   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1347195308.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	520.7 KB
ID:	185194  

Name:	image-1243366565.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	494.9 KB
ID:	185195   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1937095690.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	466.3 KB
ID:	185196  

Name:	image-714203494.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	450.7 KB
ID:	185197  
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Okay I am out of storage and work space so guess it is time to rent a locker for temp storage so I can get the frame and floor done.
Oh know! Too bad you don't live closer. We have lots of room here. Have you gotten shell of frame yet?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Great work and being safe is not only for us but as you said the ones we love a respirator unlike the standard face mask has filters and fits with an airtight seal on your face the filters are replaceable. You can find it at lowes or home depot. When you were pulling the Fiberglas from down below you probably noticed what looked like dust, those were tiny broken Fiberglas particles which remain airborne for a few minutes. You are doing great and learn fast so it will go well for you!
Oh and here is me being super safe! I got all my stuff yesterday while it was raining. Like you, I try to do something everyday even if it is studying how to do my next project.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1735017884.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	185206  
Old 05-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Ok. My next question, it is trivial, but can I pressure wash the outside of the Airstream? I cleaned all the windows today. I don't know why, but it would just make me feel better if when I went to the camper it looked better. I don't want to polish it yet until I am completely finished. Besides, I think it has to be cooler to polish it, even though we are suppose to have record low temperatures tonight.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Yes, you can pressure wash the outside. Just don't use the really small blast on it. Use a wider blast (if that's what you call it!) It is nice to have it look clean when you're working on it!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
Yes, you can pressure wash the outside. Just don't use the really small blast on it. Use a wider blast (if that's what you call it!) It is nice to have it look clean when you're working on it!
Hey thanks! I noticed your tow vehicle is the same vehicle we have a 2007 Ford Expedition EL except, ours is not 4x4. We have not towed our trailer yet due to us working on it, but that is the vehicle we plan to use. Is it a good one for towing?
Old 05-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I wish I have the AC to pull down and then we will remove the rivets and remove the shell. I have easy to break parts (expensive) parts and 4 very busy grandchildren that can and will discover the bottom shower unit and the end caps. but as I said before, no space left in the no zone so Mondays goal is storage unit then I can take down the AC. On the Caravel where the orignal owner put the ac, in place of the vent it makes the shell off balance and if I lift it now!!! well lets just say I would be hurt and there is no PPE (personal protective equipment) that can protect me for Jeannie if that were to happen. We are planning to reinstall the vent and move the AC forward more towards the centerline. So how many pieces of hose did you have spliced in for broken copper? We had 12 with the longest being 3 feet. You are doing an awesome job keep it going!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAStreamin View Post

Hey thanks! I noticed your tow vehicle is the same vehicle we have a 2007 Ford Expedition EL except, ours is not 4x4. We have not towed our trailer yet due to us working on it, but that is the vehicle we plan to use. Is it a good one for towing?
I love it. I haven't towed over any mountains, but in the Midwest it has been great. It's my daily driver, so I didn't want a truck. Really comfortable!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Now that the bathroom is out, I had planned to refinish the tub and sink and put it back in there, but here is my concern, the plastic is so brittle and there are cracks in many places. Should I refinish and put back in? Will it hold up (don't want leaks or water). Should I just replace with new? I will take better pics today with better light and let you see. Thanks for all your advice!!!!!
Old 05-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Not much progress today as far as big stuff. Still haven't gotten to see the frame. I did get gas tanks up to date with OPD valves, and made sure it is turned off and safe for me to work. I took screens off the frames and taking them powder coated silver (a friend of ours does it). Then I started to take out vent fan and when I did water poured out all on me and floor. Guess where a major leak is coming from? Oh, I almost forgot I took the bumper to be welded at the places where to bolts go. They had split. I hope to repaint it. I still need advice about bathroom and if someone could look at these pics of rear where bathroom was/is and tell me what you think, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2950124342.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	185296   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1520798012.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	360.4 KB
ID:	185297  

Name:	image-1333452934.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	185298   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2189326177.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	185299  

Name:	image-3024371837.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	462.6 KB
ID:	185300   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-314586549.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	185301  

Name:	image-365141012.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	481.3 KB
ID:	185302   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-341842546.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	185303  

Name:	image-2021379645.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	185304   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1915063648.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	185305  

Name:	image-2344602894.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	185306   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3575609098.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	185307  

Old 05-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
Looks like you're making progress. I haven't seen the thread since the the 2nd. After seeing the condition of the rear frame cross member I'd expect the next one forward is also bad enough to replace, there COULD be others. Not a big concern. You can buy replacements that you cut to length. Cut out the bad ones & weld in the new ones, a couple yrs ago they were $40.00 @. The "sagging" frame or "tail separation" are real and believe it or not, normal! Remember an airstream frame is flexible. The body when secured well to the frame / floor contribute greatly to the overall strength. When the front & rear of the body are not secured to the frame / floor [in your case due to rotten plywood and rusted X members] the whole thing will act like wet spaghetti !!!!! Next thing I notice was 2 young uns that didn't look much like couch potatoes, and, you mentioned 2 friends. Been there done that, it means some serious gray & black water tanks Mom!!!!! Those tanks need to go inside the frame. Where this all goes is to a body off restore. Sounds tough, but the fact is its easier. When all said and done you have LESS total hours, less $$, far LESS agravation, its more safe, and a better end product. Post is getting long. Want to know how easy?
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by putback View Post
Looks like you're making progress. I haven't seen the thread since the the 2nd. After seeing the condition of the rear frame cross member I'd expect the next one forward is also bad enough to replace, there COULD be others. Not a big concern. You can buy replacements that you cut to length. Cut out the bad ones & weld in the new ones, a couple yrs ago they were $40.00 @. The "sagging" frame or "tail separation" are real and believe it or not, normal! Remember an airstream frame is flexible. The body when secured well to the frame / floor contribute greatly to the overall strength. When the front & rear of the body are not secured to the frame / floor [in your case due to rotten plywood and rusted X members] the whole thing will act like wet spaghetti !!!!! Next thing I notice was 2 young uns that didn't look much like couch potatoes, and, you mentioned 2 friends. Been there done that, it means some serious gray & black water tanks Mom!!!!! Those tanks need to go inside the frame. Where this all goes is to a body off restore. Sounds tough, but the fact is its easier. When all said and done you have LESS total hours, less $$, far LESS agravation, its more safe, and a better end product. Post is getting long. Want to know how easy?
Thanks sooo much for your long post. It helps so much. That is where I am headed to body off restore. Got the lumber in garage to make gantrys. My daddy is going to help me with that. :-). I was trying to get vent fans out today. YES! Of course, I want to know how easy. I want to know every detail. I am real worried about how to disconnect it from frame and how to reconnect it, but I am sure I can do it. :-) I have someone who will do welding for me when I get to that point, then I will paint it POR 15 way. Look forward to any and all advice you have.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Your tub and sink are repairable it is not hard just takes time and patients! If you look at the you tube dyi on the airstream bath where they painted it I believe they show simple repairs and then you will use a two part epoxy to paint it. I am doing some Fiberglas repair to the sink/shower pan befor Jeannie paints it. Also have to fill in and repair both end caps. Some brain put an outlet in the shower! Looks like the floor got wet a few times we are using 3/4 plywood and thompsons water seal on ours. So do you have clecos? Need to use on inner shell while removing rivets to prevent damage!
Cliff
Old 05-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Your tub and sink are repairable it is not hard just takes time and patients! If you look at the you tube dyi on the airstream bath where they painted it I believe they show simple repairs and then you will use a two part epoxy to paint it. I am doing some Fiberglas repair to the sink/shower pan befor Jeannie paints it. Also have to fill in and repair both end caps. Some brain put an outlet in the shower! Looks like the floor got wet a few times we are using 3/4 plywood and thompsons water seal on ours. So do you have clecos? Need to use on inner shell while removing rivets to prevent damage!
Cliff
What doesn't take time and patience with this project? Haha I will watch you tube of that. I may find someone to repair fiberglass and then I will paint it. I have the 2 part epoxy to pain it. Wow! An outlet in the shower? I laughed out loud at that. My floor is 1/2" and I was thinking about using thompsons water seal too because I already have that. Is that the same thing as epoxy that I read about on here? I have also read about West Marine epoxy. I think it expensive though. May use what I have. I have a lot to do before I get to that though. No, I don't have clecos. I will to research that. I have read about them somewhere.

Margie
Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
My biggest advice at this point, based on our refurb, is to take lots of pictures as you take things apart. It's really frustrating months down the road, when you're trying to reinstall something and can't remember how it goes. We're doing all new, and still refer to pictures we took at the beginning. I am doing a scrapbook (on book 2 now) with pictures and descriptions. It's amazing to look back and see where we started, and where we are now. Not to mention, referencing those pictures on "how did that look originally?". It's my winter project every year. Keep that camera handy!

Kay
I am taking lots of pics and posting as I go. :-). Thanks!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I am really impressed with your ability to just take one step at a time, even though sometimes you are not sure where you are going, to make the progress to just get the job done. You may not have the best background, but you have what it takes.

When I was in college, over 40 years ago, the most important word to me was motivation. I believed that if I were motivated that I could do anything that I wanted to.

Well, you really have three things going for you- motivation, your positive attitude and the help of this forum.

Great job so far!

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:01 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Clecos are important for holding aluminum while installing or taking apart bucking bar and rivet bit for the skin rivets. They are available through many sources including VTS.
Cliff
Old 05-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I got my Clecos from Summit Racing.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote