Old 06-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #253
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Dyoung59 we are in relative terms right next door here in Newport we are more concerned with flying branches then the wind itself! Nice airstream!
Cliff

Old 06-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #254
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Outrigger Question

I got my outrigger parts. In my manual, the three final outriggers on the left from the inside are labeled 18, 24 and 24. So I ordered the part with the part numbers for the part pictures. 18 is shown on left and right. When I received the, one of the outriggers is for the right instead of the left. The flanges (?) face forward instead of back. Will that make a difference? I can see from an aerodynamic stance it is not efficient, but the frame is covered with the bellypan. I am just wondering whether to send it back or just go ahead with it. Thanks!

Old 06-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #255
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Think rain and where will the water sit?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #256
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Think rain and where will the water sit?
This is the outrigger on frame and will be covered with bellypan. Rain shouldn't be on it much and it is open outrigger that would just face the per way, the ledge part anyway.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #257
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It should not make a difference. You might have to shift the outriggers forwards or back so the center of it is at a joint. In my opinion if there is a joint you need a wider flange than an outrigger so each floor segment can have its own row of bolts. The end of each outrigger should be attached with a screw through the c-channel and floor. If you get sloppy with outrigger or crossmember placement you are going to miss it when you drill holes in the floor. If you are not 100% sure where a crossmember is you can use a piece of wire for holding up insulation under a house. You chuck this wire in the drill then hold the end of it with your hand and let it drill a very small hole in the floor until the wire pokes through and now you can tell where you are relative to the crossmember by looking from underneath where the wire comes out. You measure over to the crossmember and then use that same dimension to locate the 1/4" hole for the elevator bolts.

Perry
Old 06-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #258
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
It should not make a difference. You might have to shift the outriggers forwards or back so the center of it is at a joint. In my opinion if there is a joint you need a wider flange than an outrigger so each floor segment can have its own row of bolts. The end of each outrigger should be attached with a screw through the c-channel and floor. If you get sloppy with outrigger or crossmember placement you are going to miss it when you drill holes in the floor. If you are not 100% sure where a crossmember is you can use a piece of wire for holding up insulation under a house. You chuck this wire in the drill then hold the end of it with your hand and let it drill a very small hole in the floor until the wire pokes through and now you can tell where you are relative to the crossmember by looking from underneath where the wire comes out. You measure over to the crossmember and then use that same dimension to locate the 1/4" hole for the elevator bolts.

Perry
So placing it back the way it was originally is a safe way to be sure? I don't know if I have the expertise to make wider flanges, but I will look at that.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #259
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The way my floor was built the joints have a row of bolts in the seam between the two sections of floor. They used corrugated nails to pull the two halves together before putting in the bolts. This is not a real strong way to make a floor joint but that is what they did.

You can weld a piece of angle to the outrigger to make it wider. See if yours is made the same way as mine.

Perry
Old 06-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #260
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Yes, mine has a row of elevator bolts and the corrugated nails. My seam is running right on a crossmember and then an outrigger with one closely behind for support, I assume. I can see that making it wider would be easier, but I am wondering if it is necessary. Sure wish I could add more support to the bath area just pass outriggers.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #261
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAStreamin View Post
Yes, mine has a row of elevator bolts and the corrugated nails. My seam is running right on a crossmember and then an outrigger with one closely behind for support, I assume. I can see that making it wider would be easier, but I am wondering if it is necessary. Sure wish I could add more support to the bath area just pass outriggers.
Well, my seam WAS running there. Obviously, it is not now, but hopefully will again. Lol
Old 06-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #262
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You can add support back there and you can also connect the ends of the outriggers and put bolts every few inches instead of every foot or so. This will make the connection between the shell and frame much stronger. The factory connections are kinda week. If the floor moves relative to the shell you loose strength. If you can make that connection very rigid the shell and frame will work together and become very strong. Right now, the frame and shell act almost independent of each other. You can also double the number of outriggers. You can also make a much stiffer frame from the wheels on back. Taller box beams will make it stronger.

Structural members get alot stronger as they get taller. It is a thing called moment of inertia. The strength is a function of the distance between the center of the beam and the outer flanges. I think the stiffness (resistance to bending) is proportional to something like the square of that distance. So a little taller beam makes a big difference. The drag bars on the back help some but they don't go all the way to the axles.

You have to make sure the top and bottom of a beam don't move relative to each other. That is why an I-beam is made the way it is. The center portion keeps the top and bottom from moving other than the metal stretch. So if the shell does not move relative to the floor you have a HUGE moment of inertia.

That is about as much of Aircraft structures 101 I can cram into a half page.

Perry
Old 06-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #263
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Very informative and interesting. I actually think I understand what you are saying. I'm not sure I could explain it. I have an idea now of how I want to reinforce the end. I am going to draw it out and look at it. Thanks. :-)
Old 06-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #264
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Wow awesome job I have wondered many times why airstream built the trailers the way they did, and either one of my daughters or my BFF and wife tell me "for crying out loud she is 47 and made of aluminum and was in one piece when you started! Now I am just trying to make her last for 47 more! I just try to listen to my own advise and not make it harder than it has to be.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #265
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Wow awesome job I have wondered many times why airstream built the trailers the way they did, and either one of my daughters or my BFF and wife tell me "for crying out loud she is 47 and made of aluminum and was in one piece when you started! Now I am just trying to make her last for 47 more! I just try to listen to my own advise and not make it harder than it has to be.
I agree with your wife and daughter! I definitely am pleased with the shape it is in after 35 years, I am pleased with how it looks and if I can put it back the way it was and it last another 35 years, that would be great. You have a great team behind you!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #266
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Oh yes they are a great team the youngest is going to have the twins within the next week or so! She looks like she feels so bad yet she is at work as we write!