Old 05-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #169
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAStreamin View Post
I am reading about them now. When would be the best time? I thought they should be installed now ???
There may be a slight difference to do with installing the belly pan, but I have found that important purchases often seem to take on different nuances if one has the luxury of time to study them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAStreamin View Post
You went from flying to typing quickly!
Yes, I am trying telecommuting. So far, I like it

Old 05-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #170
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I bought my axle from Colin or Andy either one but or email and get price including shipping to you husbands shop (better shipping price)! Colin sells dexter also but it will take 6 to eight weeks from the time they receive the check or should I say the check clears.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #171
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Once you have the frame protected and any mods done in that (axle) mount area you can install the axles the belly pan is easier to put on with the axle off but doable either way. Just remember never jack from under the axle and mark with yellow or red paint large dot with jack point. (if you ever need a tow service and I hope that you don't) you will be glad you did.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #172
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
You may have to drill a single hole to mount the new axle which you can do!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #173
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Keep typing cuz I reread my post and correct it jack point on the frame!!!!! Both sides
Old 05-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #174
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
I will be waiting to see what my weight will be later on. I just want to make sure I can take my trailer somewhere in case I need to have anyone else work on it. Not that that will happen, it keeps on being me for the time being, and I really like it, just want to camp at some point. I am hoping this won't be a 2 yr. project. :-)
Old 05-19-2013, 04:56 AM   #175
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
You will be done by aug at the rate you are moving! Just remember to occasionally slow down and dot the I's and cross those T's so you don't miss something and get angry at yourself later.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #176
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Forgot to tell you that you can order the axle with brakes both vendors will normally do that anyway.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #177
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
You will be done by aug at the rate you are moving! Just remember to occasionally slow down and dot the I's and cross those T's so you don't miss something and get angry at yourself later.
Love this advice! My body reminds me when I need to slow down. I am very sore today. You are such a big encouragement!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #178
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Well, the heat will s,ow me down soon. I am trying to get a lot down before it becomes impossible to work. I read about those do restorations on here and they have to stop for the snow, here we have to stop for the humid heat. It gets really hot down here! I may have to stop and pick up in the fall, but I hope not! I would rather be camping in the fall! I used to live in the Carolinas, perfect weather!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #179
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
wow, you are moving fast indeed. Keep up the good work. i love the obligatory shot of you standing in the dive in the airstream... amazing work. can't wait to see the interior progress. i hear you re: carolina weather!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #180
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
wow, you are moving fast indeed. Keep up the good work. i love the obligatory shot of you standing in the dive in the airstream... amazing work. can't wait to see the interior progress. i hear you re: carolina weather!
You are my hero! Two AS and looking for a third! You are in a great part of the Carolinas. I lived in Charlotte for many years. I can't wait to do the interior too. That will be where my husband will help even more. It is his specialty. He has run a building supply business for 30 years. An Airstream will be a challenge for him though. All the curves. He has always told me curves in a house means expensive. Love your name Birdie Momma! :-)
Old 05-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #181
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Cleaned out the ole AS tonight, shop vacuumed everything. Got everything out like tools and debris, because welder is coming tomorrow. I also want to get subfloor out and replace. Please give me your best ideas and instructions on how to do this with the shell on (sorry not doing shell off this time, so don't go there or I'll have to give my long spill on why I am doing a shell on this time). I also need pointers on reinsulating around the frame. Thanks!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #182
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Hey I have seen several threads by the pros (in my opinion) and they have removed the flooring from the entire trailer with the shell on! Go to the search and enter restoration thread. I have been at the frustration point this week with hidden rivets and poor workmanship and will be so glad when I am done with this part. Worst part was 4 spinners in a row then remove a trim piece to uncover a line if steel rivets ?!? Remove those to find corrosion on 2 panels so just been frustrated will finish this part soon! Have not actually stopped for the picture part yet cuz count down to twins and work slow down is ticking away. Need to get through the haz mat part before babies arrive you are putting foam insulation boards inside the belly pan right? The really fun part is comming real soon (rebuild).