Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2013, 06:09 AM   #221
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfpod View Post
I 2nd Perry on this suggestion. While the interior was removed, I sat in mine during a hurricane off the east coast. Definitely found more leaks that day. I caulked every interior seam and rivet location. Great progress!
Just to clarify, I did the seam and rivet sealing after redoing the frame/chassis, installing new sealed flooring and reattaching the shell to the frame/chassis.
surfpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #222
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Any welder photos?
Soon. He is making me some parts first until son gets back next week.
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #223
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Waynesville , North Carolina
Just picked up on this thread a couple days ago. Great job doing what it takes and posting. We bought our 1977, 25’ Tradewind in March, 2010 and worked weekends, evenings and a full week’s stacation to make it camp-ready by Thanksgiving, 2010. Replaced the tires just to get it home, 75 miles to Ft Myers, FL. Like you, I gutted it. The rear bath (and faulty water run-off design) caused significant wood rot in the rear. Ended up replacing four feet to meet a cross member and a little floor under the street-side window, in front of the door. Exposing the frame under the bath led to some new steel under the bumper. Decided then to replace both axles (Andy and Inland RV) with greater weight limits AND electric brakes.
After that, it got fun. Replaced all the copper plumbing with plastic. Replaced the refrig, A/C, water heater (later) and stove with a 3-burner gas stove top and microwave/convection oven combo. Did NOT replace the bathroom. We only camp in state parks and campgrounds that have human-size showers and toilets. Instead, I built a platform for a queen-size bed (we like to sleep together) with storage underneath. Did NOT replace the furnace. We don’t camp in less than 25 degrees, so a little space heater, extra comforter and our dog is all we need. Replaced the huge Univolt system with something 1/5th the size and it regulates the battery charge when on shore power. Didn’t even hook-up the fresh water tank. We don’t go anywhere that doesn’t have water or somewhere we can buy it by the gallons.
Bought cabinets from Ikea – perfect dimensions for ganging and stacking, and topped with custom fit aluminum counter tops. Replaced the futon up front with a custom made double-bench dinette with a fold-down table that converts into a double bed for guests. Replaced radio with modern AM/FM/CD/DVD player (inlcluding speakers) and added a HDTV on a swivel for viewing front & back. Kept the interior skin but had to clean, prime and paint. The flooring (easy install but gorgeous) is cork from Globus Cork.
We’re very happy with the results – comfort, convenience and aesthetics. Couldn’t have done it without the resources on this board. These folks are amazing. People ask how I did it by myself. I say, “I had a lot of good advice.” Keep up the good work.
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #224
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Crackers View Post
Just picked up on this thread a couple days ago. Great job doing what it takes and posting. We bought our 1977, 25’ Tradewind in March, 2010 and worked weekends, evenings and a full week’s stacation to make it camp-ready by Thanksgiving, 2010. Replaced the tires just to get it home, 75 miles to Ft Myers, FL. Like you, I gutted it. The rear bath (and faulty water run-off design) caused significant wood rot in the rear. Ended up replacing four feet to meet a cross member and a little floor under the street-side window, in front of the door. Exposing the frame under the bath led to some new steel under the bumper. Decided then to replace both axles (Andy and Inland RV) with greater weight limits AND electric brakes.
After that, it got fun. Replaced all the copper plumbing with plastic. Replaced the refrig, A/C, water heater (later) and stove with a 3-burner gas stove top and microwave/convection oven combo. Did NOT replace the bathroom. We only camp in state parks and campgrounds that have human-size showers and toilets. Instead, I built a platform for a queen-size bed (we like to sleep together) with storage underneath. Did NOT replace the furnace. We don’t camp in less than 25 degrees, so a little space heater, extra comforter and our dog is all we need. Replaced the huge Univolt system with something 1/5th the size and it regulates the battery charge when on shore power. Didn’t even hook-up the fresh water tank. We don’t go anywhere that doesn’t have water or somewhere we can buy it by the gallons.
Bought cabinets from Ikea – perfect dimensions for ganging and stacking, and topped with custom fit aluminum counter tops. Replaced the futon up front with a custom made double-bench dinette with a fold-down table that converts into a double bed for guests. Replaced radio with modern AM/FM/CD/DVD player (inlcluding speakers) and added a HDTV on a swivel for viewing front & back. Kept the interior skin but had to clean, prime and paint. The flooring (easy install but gorgeous) is cork from Globus Cork.
We’re very happy with the results – comfort, convenience and aesthetics. Couldn’t have done it without the resources on this board. These folks are amazing. People ask how I did it by myself. I say, “I had a lot of good advice.” Keep up the good work.
Great story and encouragement! I would love to see pictures!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #225
3 Rivet Member

Need Help: Where To Begin (pg 16)

I knew you were going to ask that. If I can't caption: 'a' generally signifies 'before' and 'b' is 'after. This may take a couple posts. I have many more, but they might be more appropriate if you have specific questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1a Before.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	187141   Click image for larger version

Name:	1b After.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	187142  

Name:	2a Before.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	187143   Click image for larger version

Name:	2b After.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	187144  

Name:	3a Before.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	187145   Click image for larger version

Name:	3b After.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	187146  

Name:	4a Before.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	187147   Click image for larger version

Name:	4b After.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	187148  

Name:	5a Before.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	187149   Click image for larger version

Name:	5b After.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	187150  

2016 RAM 2500
Old 06-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #226
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Looks great! Thanks for posting the photos.

The flooring in 5B is the Allure planks in light cork colour, right?

So where did you get the galley cabinets?! They are gorgeous!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #227
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
FL Crackers Before and After photos

Thank you so much for sharing your photos. You have done so much of what I want to do. It gives me such inspiration at this time of lull, waiting on welder. The before pictures look a lot like mine did. I would love to put in a queen size bed like you did, but we cannot forego the bathroom. I want to put a sofa up front that makes into a large bed. Did you make dinette set?
Old 06-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #228
3 Rivet Member

The flooring is actually 24" square cork tiles from Globus Cork. The cabinets came from Ikea. Warning: Assembly required. Here are3 a few more pics I intended to load, but hit the limit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6a Before.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	187163   Click image for larger version

Name:	6b After.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	187164  

Name:	7 In-Progress.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	187165   Click image for larger version

Name:	8 In-Progress.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	187166  

Name:	9 Before.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	187167   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 Before.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	187168  

Name:	Happy Dog.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	187169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Happy Camper.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	187170  

2016 RAM 2500
Old 06-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #229
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
@FlCrackers We love the pics! My little girl especially loves the dog and the FL Gator stuff (I am a FL native). I particularly like the photo of you all camping. It gives me hope that at the end of the road, there will be camping. Sometimes, I begin to wonder if we will ever camp. The post is perfect timing!
Old 06-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #230
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Angry Frustrated

So Frustrated!!!!

Getting run around from Welder. I want to sit down and cry, but I need pick myself up and move on, but it is hard when I am so mad.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #231
3 Rivet Member

At this point she's mobile, no? Take it as sigh that this is an opportunity to get a better outcome. Someone where you live WANTS to be a part of your project.maybe you bundle the job with the installation of your new axles (Assuming you're doing that) it always works out.
2016 RAM 2500
Old 06-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #232
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Ok, did the welder and me a favor and relieved him from the project. Now, loss of 2 weeks and onto plan B. Ugh!!
Old 06-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #233
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Crackers View Post
At this point she's mobile, no? Take it as sigh that this is an opportunity to get a better outcome. Someone where you live WANTS to be a part of your project.maybe you bundle the job with the installation of your new axles (Assuming you're doing that) it always works out.
Excellent advice and so true!!! It is the opportunity to get a better outcome. I'm just not sure what it will be yet.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #234
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay girl pick up the phone book or do some networking and find a good welder that needs the job and will work your schedule and yes they are out there! And tell that person male or female what you want and ask the best way to make it happen and you may be surprised. I had a welder turn down the simple outrigger job just to have a more qualified fabrication welder offer his help. All that from stopping and talking at different welding shops and this gives you the opportunity to see there work. Raining today so not accomplishing a thing more than logistics (ordering needed items for the frame) next I have to do some serious measuring of the old floor u channel and position of it all before taking it apart. Has to be the same size upon completion. You are good so ruck up and move on and post!
Old 06-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #235
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Okay girl pick up the phone book or do some networking and find a good welder that needs the job and will work your schedule and yes they are out there! And tell that person male or female what you want and ask the best way to make it happen and you may be surprised. I had a welder turn down the simple outrigger job just to have a more qualified fabrication welder offer his help. All that from stopping and talking at different welding shops and this gives you the opportunity to see there work. Raining today so not accomplishing a thing more than logistics (ordering needed items for the frame) next I have to do some serious measuring of the old floor u channel and position of it all before taking it apart. Has to be the same size upon completion. You are good so ruck up and move on and post!
Glad to hear from you. I am glad it is raining, forcing you to rest, which I know you need after all the work you did this weekend. I have 2 more welder possibilities, so moving on tomorrow. Just aggravated with what he did. Thanks for the advice. :-)
Old 06-04-2013, 01:52 AM   #236
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Thanks and the work felt good. I like it when things go well after running into soo many issues. If I remember correctly you are not just getting the frame repaired but also getting it ready for the new gray tank? The only down side to the caravel in the lack of room for a gray tank but we have the blue boy so that will do for now! Looking forward to reading more of your post and watching your progress!
Old 06-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #237
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
I worked a little, getting electrical wires out, but I got rained out. It has been raining here for several days.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #238
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Why you removing all the wire?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #239
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Why you removing all the wire?

Perry
I want to put in a new system and layout. Instead of fuse box, I want simple inverter/converter system with other "upgrades". Besides all the damaged wires, corroded and spliced wires.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #240
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Being in the field I personnally do not like the mix of copper and aluminum wire had too many badly burned systems which were the result of aluminum wire and copper connectors. I have read all of the disclaimers but I have even removed charred wires from the caravel. When it comes to my family's safety I will caution on the side of copper.