Old 06-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
1971 21' Globetrotter
Metairie , Louisiana
Need Help first airstream purchase

Hello all
I am getting ready to purchase a 19' globetrotter airstream which looks to be in pretty good condition. This is my first camper purchase and I am looking for info on this camper but cannot find it. The weight, the tounge weight, how does the 110 v 220 v work and how does the refrigerator work of lp gas. I have no idea if any of this works(the guy has no idea) but i am handy enough to start tearing into it. I also need the tire size and bolt pattern so I can tow this baby home. The axles look pretty good the floor seems solid but im ready for the worst. If anyone could help or direct me to a link with a service guide that would be great.(the ones i found are for newer models).
Thanks again

jay3919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
How about a year? That will help us zero in on things.

In the mean time if it is oldie take an ice pick and work you way around the inside edge of the floor close to the wall. That is were you will find what would be your biggest headache. By the door, under windows. under the bed and all the nooks and crannies. If you find a soft spot the floor is rotten in that area.

2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
your profile says 71 GT, so lets go with that. Dry weight = 3460 pounds and hitch weight = 420 pounds. These numbers are from the factory with no additional options, no water in the tank, no propane in the tanks, no shoes under the bed or beer in the fridge. Your numbers will always be higher.

No 220 volt system should be present. The shore power plug is a 30 amp 120 volt RV style. It may look like the one for your dryer but it is not. Do not plug it into that outlet! The 120 volt shore power will run the Air Conditioner (an option), the 12 volt power converter (also charges the battery), the refrigerator (when on electric setting) and all the 120 volt outlets in the trailer.

When running the refrigerator on propane, it heats the ammonia in the coils and that makes it cold. I think it is magic, but it works. There are different models of refrigerators, do you know what yours is?

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
most use 6 lug bolts on the wheels, I think it's called 'six on five'..

is this the trailer in Maurepas that's on craigslist? didn't look too bad for a handyman. a lot of potential there..but wait, I think that's actually a Safari..

you're in the right place for AS info. I'm in Mid city, 70119

fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
1971 21' Globetrotter
Metairie , Louisiana

thanks for the info its not the one on cl i found this one in slidell im still debating on whether to buy it
jay3919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
1970 18' Caravel
1995 30' Excella
Mulino , Oregon
HI all,
One slight correction. Airstreams use a 6 hole pattern on 5.5" (five and 1/2" ) bolt circle since about forever in the 1960's. The center hole is diameter is at least 4.125" diameter. The most common wheels ( from sometime about 1977 or so; not sure of the dates) are 6" wide with a 3.5" backspacing (a standard car rear wheel drive spacing), but the earlier wheels like on my Caravel were 5" wide with less backspacing. On older airstreams the wheel wells are really tight, and the single axle wheels are special trailer service rated. There are many posts on non-standard wheel dangers by Andy and others; be sure to follow them, and DO NOT use any old GM truck wheels under any circumstances!.
Good luck on your unit.

PS: Finally, It has been my experience that any trailer, including Airstreams that has sat and not moved regularly will almost always need a complete set of wheel bearings installed, both the cones and cups before attempting to tow it any distance. This is a must-do unless the distance to be towed is measured in feet, not miles. The same goes for old tires; get new ones mounted if the tires are over 4 years old.

wlj1943 is offline   Reply With Quote