Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2003, 10:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Gilbert , confusion
need help

We just acquired this (1969 maybe) and it has been sitting stored on a lot for fiffteen years. I need to replace a 29" side window and the rear one. overall it is not in bad shape, but I have been to web site after web site and my head is about to explode. Where or how should I begin this project, I am going to park it at my house for the winter. Thanks for any thoughts.
Rich
another project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 10:59 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Welcome to the forum, Hopefully we can help clear your head!

Even though you are in AZ I woud start by getting the unit weathertight. Get those windows replaced. There is a good savlage yard in MO. called Colaws. They may have the windows you need. If yu are going to tow it for more than a few miles I would get the bearings and tires gone over before hand. Blowouts can cause lots of damage. Bearing failure will lead to axle replacement.

Since you are guessing at the year, you need to get it straight before you order parts. There should be a small 2X2 plate on the lower front right side attached to the skin of the trailer. Right side if you are standing in front of the trailer. We call that Road side. The side with the door is curbside. If you think of it going down the road in tow it makes sense. That plate will have weight ratings as well as the year and mont of manufacture. If you cannot find that there is a series of numbers on the plate to the right of the enterance door. Post the numbers as they appear and someone here can help to decode it.

As I said above, getting the unit weathertight is the first step. Once that is assured then you can worry about the interior and appliances. If the floor is in need of repair that would be the second thing to tackle.

Also as you look at this project you will want to inspect the axles and see if they are in need of replacing. Leaving a unit sit is not good for the axles. They like to be used, so check them as well. www.inlandrv.com has a section on how to check your axle.

Good luck, and don't worry about being overwhelmed, we all get that way at times. It will pass, really, it will............
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Gilbert , confusion
newkid, thanks for the info, I was at the lot for a few hours tonight. and am already on the tires and axels. the tires are gone and the tires from my car hauler will fit to get it to my buddys lot were I will de-bug it. I also poped the bearing caps and they still have good looking grease in them and once I got a wheel off the hub spins really smooth. the floor is also in good shape, no rot.(they just pulled up the carpet). the side window is the only one missing the rear one looks to be like it is starting to shatter(you can see little cracks in it). I almost forgot, the Id tag is in the back And I did not record the numbers but I did get the door tag info it is .............................I 31T9-S207 3905
Rich
Old 10-27-2003, 09:00 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Good news on the windows!

Here is what you have according to the VIN Decoder on the Airstream Website.

I=International
31 is the length
T is rear bath twin beds
9 is the year of manufactuer meaning 69
S means it was built in Ca.
207 affirms the 60s vintage and is the 207th built in order.

So based on the SN. you have a 31 foot 69 soverign International trim, unit.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:04 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Gilbert , confusion
Wow, I nailed it. I got the year from looking at another site with pics and info. like comparing the insides and rear lights. thank you and I am on the parts site looking now.
Rich