Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Woodruff , Wisconsin
Need advice on outside door handle for 1974 Overlander

We just purchased a 1974 27' Overlander. We pulled into our yard, put the key in the lock and turned it, pulled on the handle, and nothing happened. This camper has been in the family for a few years and worked fust fine up to now. After a few frustrating hours of trying to break in, we we able to crawl through a window and open the door from the inside. We found a peg like thing on the inside of the door that will manually lock and unlock the door and the inside door handle works just fine. Needless to say, in the process of trying to break in we broke the lock out.

We can just push the door closed as of now (unless of course we want to climb through the window again). I was hoping someone might have an idea on where to start fixing this. I tried finding door parts, but so far haven't ran across anything that looks like our outside handle. Any suggestions on how to fix or where to get info or parts is greatly appreciated!
new owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by new owner View Post
We just purchased a 1974 27' Overlander. We pulled into our yard, put the key in the lock and turned it, pulled on the handle, and nothing happened. This camper has been in the family for a few years and worked fust fine up to now. After a few frustrating hours of trying to break in, we we able to crawl through a window and open the door from the inside. We found a peg like thing on the inside of the door that will manually lock and unlock the door and the inside door handle works just fine. Needless to say, in the process of trying to break in we broke the lock out.

We can just push the door closed as of now (unless of course we want to climb through the window again). I was hoping someone might have an idea on where to start fixing this. I tried finding door parts, but so far haven't ran across anything that looks like our outside handle. Any suggestions on how to fix or where to get info or parts is greatly appreciated!
The entrance door lock Airstream installed is called "KT".

Parts stocking dealers will have the repair parts.

An exploded parts breakdown will help you identify what parts you need.

Over the years, that lock as well as the parts prices for it, are far from cheap. Just a word of caution.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
The Real Chief Ding Dong

1966 28' Ambassador
Patterson , Louisiana
same thing happened to us just this weekend, hubby noticed it wasn't turning from the outside prior to shutting it so at least we were not locked out. He thought, I will just remove the handle and (In his best Wile E. Cyote voice) said "I'll be a genius". Well he was until i went in and pulled the door shut behind me and could have locked myself in (at least i had lunch inside with me so sooner or later he was gonna get hungry and find me) After that we held the pin back with a small screw. We have a Bargman L-100 and were able to find a replacement on craigslist, which will be in today!
missyloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyloopy View Post
same thing happened to us just this weekend, hubby noticed it wasn't turning from the outside prior to shutting it so at least we were not locked out. He thought, I will just remove the handle and (In his best Wile E. Cyote voice) said "I'll be a genius". Well he was until i went in and pulled the door shut behind me and could have locked myself in (at least i had lunch inside with me so sooner or later he was gonna get hungry and find me) After that we held the pin back with a small screw. We have a Bargman L-100 and were able to find a replacement on craigslist, which will be in today!
The Bargman L-100 and L-200 along with the modified versions, were very popular for many years.

Unfortunately, the original Manufacturer, discontinued them.

However, thanks to Airstream, the long extended striker bolt, is still available.

Also, a replacement kit is available, for those original models, but requires a little work in order to fit and work correctly.

Andy
Old 04-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
The Real Chief Ding Dong

1966 28' Ambassador
Patterson , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The Bargman L-100 and L-200 along with the modified versions, were very popular for many years.

Unfortunately, the original Manufacturer, discontinued them.

However, thanks to Airstream, the long extended striker bolt, is still available.

Also, a replacement kit is available, for those original models, but requires a little work in order to fit and work correctly.

Andy
Just got our package in this evening. Still waiting for the extended striker bolt in order to get it on the Ambassador, but it should be here in the next couple days. I did hear that these "new ones made in China" aren't as reliable as the original ones. Hope that's not true. It sounded very confusing when we started researching to find the right one. At the time we didn't know we could order the bolt separately. As soon as we realized that it wasn't so bad. Now only hoping that we don't have to do too much filing to get it to fit properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).jpg
Views:	135
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	156226  
Old 04-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Just got our package in this evening. Still waiting for the extended striker bolt in order to get it on the Ambassador, but it should be here in the next couple days. I did hear that these "new ones made in China" aren't as reliable as the original ones. Hope that's not true. It sounded very confusing when we started researching to find the right one. At the time we didn't know we could order the bolt separately. As soon as we realized that it wasn't so bad. Now only hoping that we don't have to do too much filing to get it to fit properly.
The original extended striker bolt was cast metal.

The new one from Airstream is now machined, and is available by itself.

I am not aware of any new manufacturer of the Bargman locks.

Andy
Old 04-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Take the lock assembly out of the door. If the handle itself is not broken. Chances are good that the only thing wrong with it is a broken roll pin. When you look at he handle there is a spring running horizontal. It is around a shaft that is part of the bolt assemble. There should be a small roll pin going thru the shaft just to the right of the pawl that is operated by the outer door handle. Remove the old pin, push the spring to the right, install a new pin and you should be good to go. You can get a roll pin at a hardware or auto parts store.
Excessive stress on this pin is cause buy at least 2 things. Slamming the door and pulling the handle too far out with force.
You can see photo's of the lock assembly on the Out of Doors Mart web site.
ODMRV. Com
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Woodruff , Wisconsin
next question on door latch

Does anyone know if the spindle on the backside of the exterior door handle (on the outside) should be turning as the handle is pulled? Ours doesn't turn and we dont' know if it is supposed to or not.
new owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
By spindle, do you mean the shaft the handle pivots on? The handle should cause the shaft to rotate, which in turn rotates the pawl that pulls the bolt back.
If you have the assembly out of the door, you should be able to ID the problem
Old 04-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The shaft should be pinned to the handle. The pins may be sheared off.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:13 AM   #11
The Real Chief Ding Dong

1966 28' Ambassador
Patterson , Louisiana
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The original extended striker bolt was cast metal.

The new one from Airstream is now machined, and is available by itself.

I am not aware of any new manufacturer of the Bargman locks.

Andy
I was sure there wasn't a new manufacturer either (the reason for the quotes), yet I have heard that a few times before.

Update - new extended striker bolt went into the lock with a little filing.... not too bad, the hardest part was fitting it to the striker plate. It really wanted to drag and was hard to lock. Not wanting to break a key inside of our shiny new lock, the hubby played the "file a little and test" game for a few hours. After that was complete he realized how brittle and broken the plastic striker plate was so he cut new ones from a piece of aluminum.... Locks and opens like a charm!
Old 05-31-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I was sure there wasn't a new manufacturer either (the reason for the quotes), yet I have heard that a few times before.

Update - new extended striker bolt went into the lock with a little filing.... not too bad, the hardest part was fitting it to the striker plate. It really wanted to drag and was hard to lock. Not wanting to break a key inside of our shiny new lock, the hubby played the "file a little and test" game for a few hours. After that was complete he realized how brittle and broken the plastic striker plate was so he cut new ones from a piece of aluminum.... Locks and opens like a charm!
A "nylon" striker pocket was used by Airstream for all the Bargman and Chessler (1969) entrance door locks.

A metal striker pocket should not be used as it will make a groove in the striker bolt, that in time will not allow you to open the door.

That "nylon" striker pocket is still available.

Andy
Old 05-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I don't think you will have a problem with the aluminum striker plate. My '74 has had one for many years. The only noticeable wear is on the striker plate itself. The bolt looks just fine. If it were a steel striker plate that may wear on the bolt.
I would leave what you made in place and just keep an eye on things.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I don't think you will have a problem with the aluminum striker plate. My '74 has had one for many years. The only noticeable wear is on the striker plate itself. The bolt looks just fine. If it were a steel striker plate that may wear on the bolt.
I would leave what you made in place and just keep an eye on things.
Please be advised that the striker pocket for the KT lock, that was used from 1973 to 1977 is cast stainless steel. It cuts into the striker bolt, very fast. However, there is a small brass "shim" that is used with the cast striker pocket that stops the wear, as the striker bolt never touches the stainless steel pocket.

The striker pockets from the Bargman days to the KT lock days, are "FAR" removed from being the same.

Historically, a metal striker pocket for the Bargman extended striker bolt, will cause the bolt to wear "VERY FAST". That's why Airstream came out with the "NYLON" pocket, back in mid 1965.

Andy