Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
OAKLAND , California
Smile need advice

I just bought a 31 ft. airstream land yacht(?). My son replaced the old ugly green carpet with bamboo flooring. Now I have to paint the walls. I m glad I could read about the type of paint etc. and the prep.

Is there a way of replacing the Brown sliders that cover a lot of the cupboards, or doing something else with the facing.

The other question I have is about the awning. It appear to be stuck. Ive tried loosening the bolts,can't really figure out how it was made to work. It extends the whole length of the airstream. Any diagrams or hints.

I am planning on doing most of this myself. My husband is useless and my son is busy.
LIVIA C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
What is the brand name on the awning?

If you don't like the Tambour doors on you cabinets, your options are either to replace them with new tambour material ($$), or tear them out and create a more conventional door.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVIA C View Post
I just bought a 31 ft. airstream land yacht(?). My son replaced the old ugly green carpet with bamboo flooring. Now I have to paint the walls. I m glad I could read about the type of paint etc. and the prep.

Is there a way of replacing the Brown sliders that cover a lot of the cupboards, or doing something else with the facing.

The other question I have is about the awning. It appear to be stuck. Ive tried loosening the bolts,can't really figure out how it was made to work. It extends the whole length of the airstream. Any diagrams or hints.

I am planning on doing most of this myself. My husband is useless and my son is busy.
Livia, Your awning may have locking screws on the arm assemblies. These may have originally had black knobs on them that have broken off over time. They would be located on the inside or outside edges of the arm and are used to lock the arms in the travel/lowered position or when the awning is deployed they lock the arms in the open/extended position. If your awning has them they will need to be loosened first. Then you need to see if you have travel locks on the arms. On my awning the locks are a small aluminum slide that moves upward to release the arms from latch plates located behind the arms and are bolted or screwed to the sides of the trailer. You may have to push in on the arms slightly to get the lock to slide up. You slide them up and pull out slightly on the arms to make sure they are unlocked. There should also be shorter arms that deploy out from the trailer to hold the awning arms in the extended/open position once the awning arms are pulled away from the trailer so look for them. Post back here with results or if you still have any questions call me anytime @ 309-558-8177. Hope this helps. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote