Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
pensacola , Florida
need a little advice

Hey gang my name is Steve, and me and my wife just purchased a 73 argosy 24 now we bought it in mind to re store interior the way we want. I do not plan on doing it original, we want is to feel more open. The unit is very structually sound all original interior is there but it does show age I feel we got a okay deal the man needed money so i snatched it at 700 every one I found under 2000 were in my mind junk. Now I am good with my hands I do custom car electronics for living and restore mustangs on side so painting and building custom cabinets is right up my alley but saying that this is also my first trailor and are little confused on a few things like the stove is missing wondering where i can get a scomatic on things like that and water heater wiring and such. Also has anyoner ever put the u shaped dinnette style table/bed in a argosy wondering will ther be enough room. Sorry my post is long and question might seem stupid but any info will be greatly appriciated thank you very much
newtothis73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forums!

Lots of information here.

What comes to my mind when you mention about restoring/renovating, with a more open feel to it is another forum member's Airstream - nunya001. Here's a link to some recent pics. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f462...ics-47492.html

Very open, airy feel to that trailer. I personally love the look.

Cheers!
Old 06-05-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Newtothis73,
Welcome to the forums and clever moniker. You might want to seek out "Utahgoldrup" here on the Forums, he is in Salt Lake, so if you need an Airstream camping partner or Airstream assistance, he might be able to help you out. How abour some pictures of your rig?
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothis73 View Post
I do not plan on doing it original, we want is to feel more open.
Save what you can since there are others that may need some of the items that you remove. Parts are hard to come by sometimes so when someone is refurbishing and will not be using the original parts you can probably find someone here that really needs it. You can list these parts in the classified section of the forum or I normally just donate items to someone if they will pay the shipping cost.

Some food for thought before you start the remodeling. These old Airstream's and Argosy's last a long time and its amazing how they can be brought back to life. But some things do go bad over time that should be addressed before you get into the remodeling. Your running gear including the tires, brakes, wheels and axles need to be in top working order before you set out on the road. Also your propane, sewer, and water systems need to be looked at and brought up to good working order if need be. Your 12 volt and 110 volt system should also be checked with any needed repairs made. Leaks or bad flooring should be addressed as well. All of these things are much easier to do before the remodeling is started. Look at the various sections on the forum and you will be able to see extensive discussions and these subjects with detailed procedures on how to update these vital componants of your Argosy.

Good luck with your project.

Don Hardman
1976 31'Sovereign
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

I have a 73 Argosy 20'

It is true that brakes bearings and tires are usually first on the list of repairs, interior cosmetics last. But with a 1973 trailer, I would also be saving up around $1200 for a new refridgerator. My 73 fridge was leaking
dangerous amonia gas. However it would still freeze milk and eggs set down to 3 out of 10. Airstreams will easily out live their non airstream made appliances. 35 years is a long time to expect your furnace and water heater to last. There has also been major technical advances in many of the systems. Chargers in particular. The original chargers will fry your batteries if you aren't carefull. Your great deal could easily turn into a money pit, regardless of what the trailer looks like. You also
may need to replace the propane tanks as the older tanks don't have the
required overfill protection.
Forgive me, for the gloom and doom. I am preaching safety not being negative.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Check Ebay for the service manual ,that seems to be a good place.It will have all the diagrams and info you should need.If you can`t find it there ,someone here will help you.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
pensacola , Florida
thanks guys, and so you know coming from mechanic background the first thing i check was the bearings and axles all in great shape the man did use it form time to time and the fridge is brand new not quit as big as i would like but never the less new, He was completely ignorant on anything else he only new how to plug in 110 and go he did how ever put new electric tongue jack, and the 12 volt system works great when i was looking for a trailor those where the things i was looking for didnt care about interior, carpet beds so forth because new we wanted to redo it. We want a vintage feel though so when we take it to classic car shows want it to fit in and thats why we knew no other type of trailor would do had to be airstream or argosy
newtothis73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings Newtothis73!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

When you are looking for a repair/service manual, you will be looking for an Airstream manual as it doesn't appear that there was a separate Argosy service manual. You will find that there are Argosy specific owners manuals, and they are offered from time to time on E-Bay.

One thing that I would suggest is to look for a three-piece rock guard for your Argosy's front windows. While those deep-wrap side windows can be replaced should one be broken, the replacements will be solar gray tinted and quite expensive -- one broken wing window would more than pay for the rock guard.

Good luck with your coach -- Vintage Argosy/Airstream with a Vintage tow vehicle -- the only way to go . . . . . . .

Kevin

1975 Cadillac Eldorado with 1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre

1975 Cadillac Eldorado with 1964 Airstream Overlander Land Yacht International
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote