Old 03-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Need a fresh shipping company suggestion

The time has come, in the next month I'll finally be shipping my '65 Safari from its current location in South Dakota, to where I am in New York. Considering it's still on the original axles, brakes and lighting are of unknown condition, tires are fairly old, ad nauseum... I think it's the better idea to just have it shipped instead of trying to tow it.

I know I dug up an old thread here a while back about recommended shipping companies, but there were a lot of dead links in there and it was a few years old or so.

So, in light of that, anyone who can offer some suggestions about a shipping company that could shackle my 22' Safari onto a lowboy and move it here for me?

One idea I have is u-ship, but never used the service and it makes me nervous. This trailer's been in the family since it was either new or just a year old, so I'd like to be a bit more cautious about it.

-Hans

Old 03-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
Since this trailer has such an extensive family history and sentimental value to you, I don't think I would trust a provider found on U-Ship. There are many good service providers on there I am sure, but also a lot of operators that may not be able to provide the level of service you are looking for.

My suggestion would be to contact a company that specializes in hauling RVs such as Horizon Transport out of Indiana. They may be able too hook you up with an operator who would be perfect for your needs. Using a professional, licensed, and insured company will cost you more than someone you will find on U-Ship, but will be well worth it in the end.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Since this trailer has such an extensive family history and sentimental value to you, I don't think I would trust a provider found on U-Ship. There are many good service providers on there I am sure, but also a lot of operators that may not be able to provide the level of service you are looking for.

My suggestion would be to contact a company that specializes in hauling RVs such as Horizon Transport out of Indiana. They may be able too hook you up with an operator who would be perfect for your needs. Using a professional, licensed, and insured company will cost you more than someone you will find on U-Ship, but will be well worth it in the end.
Exactly the same as my thinking. I know there ARE good shipping companies on u-ship, but at the same time I know I'm not experienced enough to weed them out properly.

I'm also not in a rush to get it shipped instantly. It's at Dad's place right now, so I can take my time and find the right shipping company. I may be excited about finally having it here, but I don't want to do anything dumb as a result.

-Hans
Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
You may be better off having the axles replaced in South Dakota even if you have it shipped. It would be much cheaper to have it towed on its own wheels that hauled on a flatbed. Also, you may find that it is less costly to have the axle work done in South Dakota than in New York.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
There is a company called Horseless Carriage Carriers. They are headquartered somewhere in New Jersey. They are the premiere transporter of vintage and collectible automobiles. I don't know if they could or would handle a small Airstream. If they can't do it, maybe they can refer you to someone who can. Their website is Enclosed Auto Transport, Enclosed Auto Shipping, Classic Car Storage - Horseless Carriage Carriers.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Maybe a dumb question, but who does Airstream use when they ship new trailers out to their various dealers? If Airstream contracts out their shipping, then wouldn't the same carrier be the best choice for shipping a privately-owned Airstream as well?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but who does Airstream use when they ship new trailers out to their various dealers? If Airstream contracts out their shipping, then wouldn't the same carrier be the best choice for shipping a privately-owned Airstream as well?
Not a dumb question at all. I don't honestly know the answer, but most of the RV manufacturers bid contracts to private companies to do their shipping. I'm just not sure about Airstream. Our local dealer here in PA does, at least every once in a while, sends their own truck out for them.

The complication for the original poster in this thread is finding someone that is going to haul his for him on a flatbed. I've seen many hot shot haulers hauling multiple smaller campers on gooseneck trailers. So, I know it can be done. Finding one is the trick.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
The complication for the original poster in this thread is finding someone that is going to haul his for him on a flatbed. I've seen many hot shot haulers hauling multiple smaller campers on gooseneck trailers. So, I know it can be done. Finding one is the trick.
Yep. Though I think it will work in my favor that I'm not on a rigid schedule. There's bound to be somebody out there with 25ft or so of empty space looking to move it in the general direction that I'm going. I know that living on Long Island is probably going to up the price a fair amount for me too. Having to go over bridges and through NY City tends to do that.

-Hans
Old 03-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHaase View Post
Yep. Though I think it will work in my favor that I'm not on a rigid schedule. There's bound to be somebody out there with 25ft or so of empty space looking to move it in the general direction that I'm going. I know that living on Long Island is probably going to up the price a fair amount for me too. Having to go over bridges and through NY City tends to do that.

-Hans
Now that you mention the Long Island bridges, etc., I has me thinking. Do you know exactly what the height, width, and length are on your trailer? That will make a big difference in cost and shipper availability. You will want those #'s along with an approximate weight when you are looking for quotes. It's been a lot of years ago now, but I do have some commercial hauling experience including how loads are dispatched. The people running now are going to want to haul as much on one trailer load as they can and will base their cost to you on exactly the footprint that your load will take in addition to the loaded mile, etc.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Guess I'd just make sure brakes, breakaway switch, and lights work and tow it myself. Brakes are no big deal and you're gonna want to have breakaway switch, and lights working anyway. If the axles are bad, just take it easy. Insure it and go.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i'd make sure that the frame it intact to tie it down to the trailer and that the hauler does not bend the frame securing it to the trailer.

are those springs or torsion axles?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
i'd make sure that the frame is intact to tie it down to the trailer and that the hauler does not bend the frame securing it to the trailer.

are those springs or torsion axles?
Single torsion axle on the Safari of that generation.
If it was double axle, I'd probably feel a bit more comfortable towing it that distance in its current condition.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I'd much rather tow on an old axle than trust the trailer to some third party I don't know. List everything that could go wrong by towing on old axles and then list everything that could go wrong by consigning to a bad mover.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
I'd much rather tow on an old axle than trust the trailer to some third party I don't know. List everything that could go wrong by towing on old axles and then list everything that could go wrong by consigning to a bad mover.
Well, in both cases a total loss is possible. I've seen a number of accidents caused by failed trailer components. But knowing that the axles, brakes, tires, lights and such probably haven't been serviced in at least 10 years, it's going to be cheaper for me and less risky to just have it shipped. Then, once it gets here, I can dig in and get it all up to snuff.

-Hans