Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
cannon beach , Oregon
Angry MyZipDee Awning

My ZipDee awning will not open.The strap is sucked up inside and the awning won't uncoil. Anyone had this problem? called ZipDee they acted like it should just unroll but it wont roll out. Help ! I lubed the ends like it suggest's in the owners manual to no avail.
surfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Do you mean the strap in the center that you pull with the hook arm? If you're with another person, try having each of you on an arm pulling it forward until you start to see the strap come loose - then one of you - holding on to the awning fringe - walks over to the strap and connects the rod to finish the job.

While in each arm, confirm that it's not inadvertently locked in to position with those thumb screw locks...

Other than that - not sure how to help. Can you post some pics??
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
That happened to me recently. The pull strap must have gotten shy and somehow snuck up behind the rolled up awning where it wasn't accessible. I was by myself and after undoing the locks and latches, I got up on a step ladder and was able to get the roller to move out a couple of inches so that I could snag the strap and then pulled the awning out. When I rolled it back up, the strap extended a few inches as it always has. Have no idea what caused it to disappear like that. If you have a helper, SteveSueMac's suggestion would be a bit easier.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Goose View Post
That happened to me recently. The pull strap must have gotten shy and somehow snuck up behind the rolled up awning where it wasn't accessible. I was by myself and after undoing the locks and latches, I got up on a step ladder and was able to get the roller to move out a couple of inches so that I could snag the strap and then pulled the awning out. When I rolled it back up, the strap extended a few inches as it always has. Have no idea what caused it to disappear like that. If you have a helper, SteveSueMac's suggestion would be a bit easier.
If you have strap that is short one a little angle when rolling up it will disappear, Longer strap will not
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
cannon beach , Oregon
I ve had three people on stools trying to open the awning it rolls out about 2 inches and then locks. It wont come out it's as if there is a lock on it. Cant get my fingers on the strap .Need the awning out but "No Deal"
Old 06-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
cannon beach , Oregon
I guess you can adjust the tension andit look's like when I get home I will try that and take it apart but I am afraid of recoiling or what ever!
Old 06-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Does your ZipDee have hand wheel locks on each end or do you have the model with the lock lever on the end of the roller tube?
Old 06-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdog View Post
I guess you can adjust the tension andit look's like when I get home I will try that and take it apart but I am afraid of recoiling or what ever!
I would reserve that for last resort. We need to figure out what's preventing your awning from opening.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Let's start with the basics. Have you unscrewed the wheel locks and travel hook?

Did you check to see that the 4 thumb screws are not locked/latched in to a hole?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
After double checking that you have it unlocked, tie a rope at each end of the awning arm head, then pull both.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Goose View Post
Does your ZipDee have hand wheel locks on each end or do you have the model with the lock lever on the end of the roller tube?
Check to see if there is a lock lever - I have one on the far right (front of trailer) and it needs to be swung open. This lock, BTW, is not on all Airstream trailers. I also have the hand wheel locks on each end.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
cannon beach , Oregon
Two roller locks on each end and the hook lock on the rear end.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
cannon beach , Oregon
No the whole "Fabric cylinder appears to be locked it comes out a couple of inches and will not go any further
Old 07-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Is there a lever on the right end of the awning? If there is, use your hook and pull the lever toward you to unlock the roller.

Are the people helping you grownups (strong enough)?

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Labelle , Florida
I had the same problem this past weekend. I forgot that the strap was folded up and then the started undoing arms and before you know it the awning is rolled up and the strap is folded inside....OH S$$T! I tried pulling on it from the ground would not budge. I tried using the rod pulling on the latch...no go. I am the only one around so I got on the step ladder and from that height I could move it one side at a time so I went to the point where I could hook the arm on the knob that extends the awning. It does give a lot of resistance. It was pretty crooked with one side extended that far and the other side barely out. I then extended the other arm to the same distance and was able to extend it out the rest of the way from the center and recover the strap. Tried retracting and extending it a few times and seems to be fine.

With two people at a height where you can pull it more in a horizontal direction rather than down it should move for you. Very much pulling in a downward direction will not work.

Bill
VTSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Silver Goose's solution worked fine for me last week
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote