Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
My new favorite test

We just spent a couple lovely nights at Inks State Park. I was standing barefoot in the dirt in front of the camper and my wife walked up, reached over my shoulders, gripped the zip dee awning and hung a big smacker on me.

We both stepped back and simultaneously said "you taste funny."

Actually, she tasted like about 6 volts. More than zero, but somewhat less than a 9V battery. I could recreate the taste by licking the camper directly, but this was less fun. The tung dolly and all four stabilizers were deployed, but they were on blacktop.

I thought about this on the way home and decided that those symptoms could be caused by a floating neutral on the incoming supply line if one assumes the black top was a good enough insulator to keep the trailer ungrounded. Bad grounds are all over in this part of the Texas Hill Country as the whole area is made of granite, which is a pretty good insulator.

When I got home I plugged the camper in and licked it and got nothing. I am not sure what to do with this information but it seemed like an interesting test that I will, with the help of my wife, repeat at every camp site we visit in the future.
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I want to make a series of wise-a$$ comments but you're all way ahead of me... :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbelk View Post
We just spent a couple lovely nights at Inks State Park. I was standing barefoot in the dirt in front of the camper and my wife walked up, reached over my shoulders, gripped the zip dee awning and hung a big smacker on me.

Actually, she tasted like about 6 volts. More than zero, but somewhat less than a 9V battery. I could recreate the taste by licking the camper directly, but this was less fun. The tung dolly and all four stabilizers were deployed, but they were on blacktop.

I thought about this on the way home and decided that those symptoms could be caused by a floating neutral on the incoming supply line if one assumes the black top was a good enough insulator to keep the trailer ungrounded. Bad grounds are all over in this part of the Texas Hill Country as the whole area is made of granite, which is a pretty good insulator.

When I got home I plugged the camper in and licked it and got nothing. I am not sure what to do with this information but it seemed like an interesting test that I will, with the help of my wife, repeat at every camp site we visit in the future.
Not nearly as tasty, you may want to also invest in a polarity checker for your shore power. Could be that the polarity was reversed on the pedestal.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Not nearly as tasty, you may want to also invest in a polarity checker for your shore power. Could be that the polarity was reversed on the pedestal.
Does that mean he has to kiss the polarity checker? Or the power pedestal?

Somehow, it just doesn't seem as much fun...
Old 09-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Does that mean he has to kiss the polarity checker? Or the power pedestal?

Somehow, it just doesn't seem as much fun...
Why do you think I started out with "Not nearly as tasty…"?
Old 09-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
You need a chat with GCinSC2, he just might have the answers.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
I could recreate the taste by licking the camper directly, but this was less fun.

When I got home I plugged the camper in and licked it and got nothing.
i LOL'ed.

nothing more to contribute, sorry.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina

I think this is what Sandlapper is refering to. I'm no electric expert, ran into this on a different forum. I really think BBelk you need to at least watch Mike Sokol's presentation.

Electricity ain't something to ignore when it ain't working right.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Good stuff Gary.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Not sure I am as brave or thrill seeking as you. Sounds like some sort or ground loop. Put a volt meter to ground and see if you can determine if it is ac or dc. If you had a real problem you would be dead.

I can see it now, man dies from licking trailer, details at 11.

You might be able to sell tickets to lick your airstream.

Please get it fixed or your next lick could be your last.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
Oh man what a bummer. You're telling me that old spark the electricity we felt as kids when we're in the stream camping is just a bad ground??? That's it I'm buying a Vet!
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Not sure I am as brave or thrill seeking as you. Sounds like some sort or ground loop. Put a volt meter to ground and see if you can determine if it is ac or dc. If you had a real problem you would be dead.

I can see it now, man dies from licking trailer, details at 11.

You might be able to sell tickets to lick your airstream.

Please get it fixed or your next lick could be your last.

Perry
I appreciate the concern, but its ok. There need be nothing wrong with the camper to get the symptoms I found at Inks State Park in Texas. The park is built on granite (read glass insulator) and power supply ground problems abound. It is nearly impossible to get a zero resistance ground anywhere in that country, hence there is often a slight voltage difference between the local green wire ground (the one connected to the skin of the trailer) and the ground that you are standing on.

Even knowing this (I worked for 32 years in the utility biddniss in Central Texas), when I got home, I stood on one bare foot and touched the trailer with the other after plugging it in. While I hate the thought of current running through my balls, it is less dangerous than through my chest. I then tested with my wrist, a wet wrist, then I really did lick it.

I am pretty sure my camper is ok.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:17 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
You might be considered half nuts testing electricity this way.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #14
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbelk View Post

BBelk,

I think you are offering some at best questionable advice, with your "lick test" to check the trailer for any power issues. You have stated that you were in "32 years in the utility biddniss" and the suggestion, frankly doesn't sound like it came from any utility business training manual on how to safety test the power to any RV or structure.

This could have been a good chance to educate about the proper way to evaluate and test then how to proceede to assure safely using your trailer.

Respectfully,

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

That condition has happened to me twice.

Once at a mom and pop campground. The electric receptacle was wired backwards.

Once when I used a friends repaired extension cord that was wired backwards.

I have a light on my 1973 Argosy that tells me that the polarity is wrong. Problem is that I never check it. All of my cables are good and I was the one who wired the receptacle that I use at my house. I usually boondock anyway so it is rarely an issue.

THE BEST WAY TO TELL IF THE POLARITY IS CORRECT IS TO HAVE A POLARITY CHECKER PLUGGED INTO AN AC RECEPTACLE AT ALL TIMES.

THE WORST WAY IS TO STAND BAREFOOT AND TOUCH THE CAMPER.

After the polarity has been checked, you should periodically administer the kiss test ( gaze into her eyes before and after ).
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
You might be considered half nuts testing electricity this way.

Now its my turn to LOL. I hope everyone realizes that I wouldn't really recommend testing anything as I have described.