Old 05-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
(West) Seattle , Washington
My LP alarm is blaring!

But, my tanks are turned off and the door remains open (fresh air). What do I do?
Thanks,
Frank.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Lawchick custom loads effective extra-low-velocity ratshot for handguns.

Seriously, cleaning products and other can set them off. Check connections, check age of unit, etc.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from GA. . . I pulled mine out of the wall, snipped the wires, and ordered a new one. AS wouldn't sell me one unless they installed it (too many lawyers in the world ??) so I ordered an exact replacement elsewhere. Tests fine. Good luck to you, and regards, Craig
Old 05-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Linda sets ours off with her hair spray. It was a hoot the first time. She now sprays by sticking her head backwards into the shower stall. Seems to work. Our daughter-in-law set it off with bug-off spray last summer. It quits after a while.
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You poor thing! We had this problem some months ago, were boon docking and there was no one nearby to offer sage wisdom.

Never did figure out what caused it, think it may have been laundry products moved to the vicinity of the sensor. Went on forever, very annoying.

Turn off your propane, open windows and follow the advice of others more wise who will respond here.

Maggie
Old 05-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Not to be smart, but your smoke alarm isn't directly above on the ceiling is it? Thought my lp was going but it was the smoke alarm malfunctioning. jim
Old 05-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Denver , Colorado
Our device also starts alarming when battery is low. As designed. We replaced it before discovering the yellow lamp is the alert that something other than LP is at fault. And pushing "reset" also helps. Then again, the first time it happened it was 3 AM and I ended up cutting the wires.
AIR #35886
JimmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Had something similar happen to me. My LPG detector is an Atwood ProTechTor. My first-ever camping trip, the alarm suddenly started beeping. Not fast like an alarm, just one beep every thirty seconds or so. and an orange light was showing. Pressing "Reset" didn't help. Most frustrating thing, a thorough search of my owner's manual packet failed to turn up an LPG detector manual.

Come to find out later when I managed to download a copy of the owner's manual from the Atwood webpage, the problem was an internal fault, and the solution given in the manual was simply to turn off the 12v power at the battery disconnect, wait a minute, and turn it back on. Worked like a charm, just like rebooting a computer.

As a side note, my LPG detector is supposed to have an in-line fuse on the red wire, but for the life of me I never could find it. If it's there, it's covered by interior coachwork. If I could have found it, I'd have pulled the fuse to reset the unit instead of shutting off power to everything.

Bottom line, try turning off the 12v power first, and turning it back on. That may be enough to silence your alarm.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
(West) Seattle , Washington
DING DING DING, JimmyT, you are correct sir. I, for the life of me couldn't figure out what the cause was, so I called the local dealer who told me to head inside the trailer and press the test light and see where the battery levels were. Sure enough... they were nearly gone. Strange since I just left dragged the trailer from seattle to Leavenworth and back, while being plugged in Leavenworth as well... But, I had failed to see that I left not one, but multiple lights in the on position the trailer. Not sure how that happened, but i'll deal with that issue tomorrow.
I think the batteries ran down to nothing, or close to nothing. I'll plug it in tomorrow and see if I can get a charge. I should be able to just plug into a regular outlet and trickle charge the batteries right?
BTW, i've only been here a short time, and well, what an amazing gift this forum is.
Cheers,
Frank.
Thank you to all that posted!
Old 05-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
So, your LPG detector runs off separate batteries, mine runs off the 12v house system. Interesting. Not sure which I'd prefer if given a choice.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote