Old 05-21-2015, 08:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Bend the hinge downward

Originally Posted by FortRocky View Post
I agree with Ray but I have a refrig door issue of my own. I now own Ray's 2006 Safari and the metal door panel keeps sliding down. Is it just double stick taped in place or are there supposed to be clips to hold it in place.
Sorry to piggyback on someone else's post but I'm very new to this.
My first TT of any kind and we jumped right to the front of the pack with our beautiful Airstream. We absolutely love it.
Ray, you took excellent care of it

Small world for Airstreams.

When Windish in Denver did some work on the 2006 23 footer, they scratched the refrigerator door stainless metal. Replaced it. It would slide down after traveling. I took a strip of wood you would use to wedge a door or window frame at the bottom of the door, between the outside frame and door bottom plastic. That was how I took care of it. I tried to figure out how to get the door off, but it is riveted as well as bolted. If I have the original door metal, I will PM you. I do not recall if I kept it or tossed it away. The 25 footer had the larger refrigerator and that was something my wife wanted. I wanted the 15 inch tire option rated D's. Otherwise I would still own that 23 footer.

The problem with the door on this Thread is the top bracket is bent upwards. It needs to be bent down. Otherwise this door will keep coming off the hinges.

Go to any RV retail/service shop and get yourself a couple of hinges off a junker in the trash bin. You will need to drill the rivets to get them off for spares.

If you are reluctant to bend that hinge where it should be, let someone who can. You have nothing to lose. Either it works or needs to be replaced. I would say you have a better chance it would work to bend it downward. Without seeing why it became bent is a problem, but you need to decide what your options are.

Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I keep studying the pic of the top hinge. I don't think it is bent...I think it is a weird camera angle. Some other notes:

The hinge is not plastic...the hinge cover is.

I wouldn't try to just bend it. As I recall it is pretty thick and tough metal. My fear would be damaging the fridge case screw holes. Bending might work, but I would do it off the fridge and in a vise.

I would much prefer the shimming method.

Of course, parts in hand tell the real story.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:55 AM   #17
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hi Seemore. I don't have my trailer here at home. I keep it parked at my son's house and will try to remember to get a photo for you. However, let me explain. We have a common closet hook screwed to the wall adjacent to the reefer door handles on the side panel. It's handy for hanging things on for general purposes too. We use an elastic tube ( like they use when blood is taken in the Drs. office) and wrap it through the door handles and around the hook. Works great and never failed. ALSO, for an added benefit I have a piece of dense foam that I wedge in the doors and using the same elastic tube and the same hook I keep the doors wedged open during storage to allow ventilation to prevent mold and odors. Works for me.

Let me know if you would still like a photo and I'll work on that over the weekend.

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote