Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2008, 04:17 PM   #1

1973 31' Sovereign
San Angelo , Texas
my first question

I purchased my '73 Sovereign on January 1st and already have quite a few questions. First, how do I get the steps out and down? Is there a trick you could share with me? So far I've tried pulling, giggling, and prying with a screwdriver.

Second question, what should I use to plug the small screw-size holes in the exterior? We had a half inch rain two days ago and it has several leaks. What about around the hatch doors. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks so much for this forum. I have already learned so much.

Abundant blessings,
akitten
akitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
First, how do I get the steps out and down?
You should have a small handle/lever next to the step. While lifting up on the step, raise that handle, then the step should lower.

Where are the holes you are refering to? Most exterior holes are drilled so that a rivet can be installed. A good description or photos would be helpful.

Welcome to the forum! Lots of good info and experience here. It has saved me LOTS in terms of time and money.

Good luck with your trailer.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
akitten - Welcome to the forums!
Dave is right on about the lever on the right side of the steps.

About the holes, what holes? Was something removed? If they are small enough you could fill them with an Olympic rivet. Pictures would help.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by akitten
I purchased my '73 Sovereign on January 1st and already have quite a few questions. First, how do I get the steps out and down? Is there a trick you could share with me? So far I've tried pulling, giggling, and prying with a screwdriver.

Second question, what should I use to plug the small screw-size holes in the exterior? We had a half inch rain two days ago and it has several leaks. What about around the hatch doors. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks so much for this forum. I have already learned so much.

Abundant blessings,
akitten
All exterior holes will leak. What were the holes for? What size are the holes? That info will help determine the fix.

If they are small, they can be sealed with Par-bond or Vulkem sealer, or olympic rivets perhaps can be installed.

Check "all" the exterior gaskets, windows, entrance door, access compartments and especially the sewer vent pipe covers. The sewer vent pipe gaskets usually last about 5 years or so.

If they have never been replaced, you will find the all in sad shape.

There is an easy fix for the stack and vista view windows as well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
akitten...welcome to the Airforums! You're in the right place to find out everything you'll need to know for your Airstream...

As to those holes...there shouldn't BE any holes...if there are, they need to be filled with something! Are rivets missing maybe? Photos would be good...

Glad you could join the fun!
TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #6

1973 31' Sovereign
San Angelo , Texas
3 pictures

Thanks for your interest. I have attached three pics, two of the holes and one of the pesky steps. I have looked very closely and still cannot find a lever.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2237b.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	53226

Name:	DSCN2242b.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	53227

Name:	DSCN2245b.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	53228

akitten
Old 02-21-2008, 02:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Although it is has been a while since you last post this may have already been resolved. But I don't see any replies to your 1/27/2008 post with the pictures. The picture from the back of the trailer would indicate that at one time a roll out awning was installed and the holes would be from the hardware that was removed. The one of the door looks like some type of door hardware was removed prior to installing the door knob. The steps should have a lever there where the metal off to the right appears to be torn.

You should be able to fill most of the holes with rivets and a little sealer. The steps could pose a problem that may require someone to repair.

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Don's assessment appears to be right on.
It's no wonder you couldn't find that lever that's not there....

Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Made any progress yet? Always fun tracking down then leaks, but nice to keep it dry. Seems TX is a good place for the older long streamers.
Welcome aboard!
rob n Terry
Old 02-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Parts picture for the step

We have an exploded view where you can see what parts you might need for this step. Not all the parts will work for this step but you will be able to see which ones will.
Airstream Double Step

All the parts are the same except the way it latches at the top.
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:14 PM   #11

1973 31' Sovereign
San Angelo , Texas
So good to know that the step is missing a part and not my brain! Thanks for all the excellent advice and help. I've been pretty successful stopping the leaks. I've never worked so hard in my life as I have on cleaning and repairing this trailer but I'm loving it. Next item on the agenda is temperature control. It gets pretty hot in Tx. Any suggestions for a good window film?

akitten
Old 02-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Having just finished removing the film from my old 73...I would not be anxious to replace. What would work well and be about the same amount of work would be to replace the window screen with a solar screen. You would need to use a screen roller and new rib, but those are Home Depot items. You should be able to get the solar screen at HD or other big box. I figure when I replace the window awnings maybe adding a nylon skirt would both look cool and help keep out unwanted sun light. I suppose the old film probably lasted ten or so years, but I still cant remove the film from the plexi windows a PO had installed...nasty stuff. THere are still ini blind brackets on my windows, so they might go back in.

I am thinking about white toppping my trailer eventually...hard decision, but as you said...it tis hot in Texas. I will probably wish I had went larger with the HVAC as well, but we will see.

Good luck
rob n terry
Old 02-24-2008, 08:09 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by akitten
So good to know that the step is missing a part and not my brain! Thanks for all the excellent advice and help. I've been pretty successful stopping the leaks. I've never worked so hard in my life as I have on cleaning and repairing this trailer but I'm loving it. Next item on the agenda is temperature control. It gets pretty hot in Tx. Any suggestions for a good window film?

akitten
I used 20% limo tint on our Sovereign, if the picture will load, here is a photo of the tint on the window:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 182.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	55046  
Old 02-25-2008, 03:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Window and Door seal

One of the things that we do that seems to help a bunch is making sure all the Window and Door seal is in good shape. It is like windshield wipers, they may look good but don't work as well as they use to. Here is a How-to on replacing the seal.
http://www.pfredd.com/airstream/wstrip/
Provided by David Lowrey. Thanks Dave

And here a guide to figure out how much you need.
http://odmrv.net/DoorSeal/DoorSealByWayUsed.php

A BIG word of warning! If you replace this seal and it gets real hot where you live, you need to leave a vent open so that the unit can breathe, while the unit is not being used. The reason being, when it gets hot inside and wants to expand the front wing window is the weak link. In other words, when you replace the seal and leave the unit sealed real tight, the expensive and hard to replace wing window is at risk of breaking. You will need to leave a vent or window cracked. Maybe both.
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote