Old 11-06-2011, 01:34 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Yes, the actual tape is gray, the cover is red which is why I called it Red mounting tape, so folks would get the right stuff. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:05 AM   #30
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Not yet...been to a sailing regata all day. Maybe this week sometime.
Y'all have sailing regattas in SA? I thought that River Walk was too narrow to tack between the sidewalks when I was last there...

Old 11-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Don't Mount It

I have had those things on my last three Airstreams.
I don't intend to install another.
I just use a torpedo level. That I keep in the door pocket of the truck.
I eyeball the parking site. Put blocks under tires if I "see" the need.
Then I use a torpedo level to fine tune.
I can get it parked and leveled as fast as most.
No unsightly levels, no holes in the skin.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Y'all have sailing regattas in SA? I thought that River Walk was too narrow to tack between the sidewalks when I was last there...
Not IN San Antonio, but close. Canyon Lake, 8,240 acres and has a shoreline of about 80 miles, North of New Braunfels, TX
Old 11-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Here is a fun little tune about getting your Airstream level.

WE GOT TROUBLE, CHECK THE BUBBLE
(to the tune of My Darling Clementine)

FOUND A CAMPSITE IN A CAMPGROUND
THOUGHT THE SPOT WOULD WORK OUT WELL
BACKED IN QUICKLY, THEN FELT SICKLY
WHEN A VOICE BEGAN TO YELL
Chorus:
WE GOT TROUBLE, CHECK THE BUBBLE,
WE’RE NOT LEVEL BY A SMIDGE
BACK IT UP, AND DO IT OVER,
OR WE’RE GONNA KILL THE FRIDGE

FOUND SOME LUMBER, SHOVED IT UNDER
THOUGHT PERFECTION WAS IN REACH
I HAD TRUSTED, WE’D ADJUSTED
‘TIL A VOICE BEGAN TO SCREECH
(repeat chorus)
PILED UP ROCKS AND FANCY BLOCKS, AND
BUILT AN ENGINEERING DREAM
FEELING SHOOK-UP, WENT TO HOOK UP
WHEN A VOICE BEGAN TO SCREAM
(repeat chorus)
THIS WAS WAR NOW, HAD TO SCORE NOW
DOZED THE SITE, AND LAID A SEAL
FEELING POORER, BUT MUCH SURER
‘TIL A VOICE BEGAN TO SQUEAL
(repeat chorus)
COULDN’T REFRAIN, BROUGHT IN A CRANE
HAD US DANGLING OFF THE GROUND
WE WERE FLOATING, FELT LIKE GLOATING
‘TIL I HEARD THAT AWFUL SOUND
(repeat chorus)
GRABBED THE BUBBLE, BENT IT DOUBLE
TOOK THE FRIDGE AND TOSSED IT OUT
NOW I LEAN, BUT I’M SERE-ENNE
‘CAUSE THAT VOICE WILL NEVER SHOUT
(repeat chorus)
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #34
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
The content of this thread just proves how far behind America has fallen in the world of technology.

Straight from ****a, and available from you local Wally World, is this hand held remote that monitors the sending unit that is installed in the trailer.

Just watch your remote until you have the best level and then finish it off with your jacks and etc.

Oh, I forgot , we are not supposed to be distracted drivers.
Dave

http://www.walmart.ca/canada-estore/...#about-product
Old 11-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
That Walmart leveler looks pretty good, however, I think I like the beer and screwdriver method.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
I’m new to the Air Forum, but I have enjoyed my Airstream for the past 11 years. I’ve never got around to installing the permanent level on the front because I wasn’t sure what wiring might be behind the bulkhead in my chosen spot, and I never seem to have found a driveway adequately level right to left to properly define the appropriate mounting position. As to the front-back level, it seems my refrigerator is not level to the frame (for whatever reason), so leveling the tongue causes an off-level front-back on the freezer floor. So, I just punt; I use a small torpedo level, kept in the back of my Yukon, set it on the tongue as straight as I can. Since there’s a “disconnect” between frame level and fridge level, I sort of split the difference. So far, so good. Having said all this, I see a lot of merit to the multi-beer procedures described by others.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
I have inexpensive adhesive bubble levels one on the tongue of trailer, the other on the front of the AS. I use these to get "close enough" and the I use a vintage torpedo level to do the final side-to-side leveling.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamiak View Post
I’m new to the Air Forum, but I have enjoyed my Airstream for the past 11 years. I’ve never got around to installing the permanent level on the front because I wasn’t sure what wiring might be behind the bulkhead in my chosen spot, and I never seem to have found a driveway adequately level right to left to properly define the appropriate mounting position. As to the front-back level, it seems my refrigerator is not level to the frame (for whatever reason), so leveling the tongue causes an off-level front-back on the freezer floor. So, I just punt; I use a small torpedo level, kept in the back of my Yukon, set it on the tongue as straight as I can. Since there’s a “disconnect” between frame level and fridge level, I sort of split the difference. So far, so good. Having said all this, I see a lot of merit to the multi-beer procedures described by others.
Welcome to the forums, Kamiak. Yes, it's beginning to seem leveling is right up there with trailer tires, weight distribution hitches, and tow vehicles. Well, maybe not WD hitches yet, but maybe soon.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #39
one of those

2011 27 FB International
I was looking at the little description for that Walmart thing. I am reading this part, for example:
"The wireless feature allows the base to be left inside the RV while the hand held device can be carried to each leveling point."

That doesn't sound like much of an improvement, to me. Right now, with my little torpedo level, I don't have to carry anything to any of the four corners. And I'm a little unclear on how the red green light works, but would be interested to see one in action. If you could glue that main part to the floor somewhere and read all four corners from within the truck....then you would have something.

We've only been WalMart shoppers for a few months now, (there are no WalMarts in this little nation) but have already learned that just because WalMart imports it doesn't mean it's a good buy. At the moment, I figure roughly 25-30% of the stuff we bought at WalMarts has already been tossed. We are learning, though. Buy only brands you recognize, and then check the label anyhow. Stanley,for example.

They DO have some good stuff, though. We're just newbies at WalMart. Came with the trailer.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Gringo & I go to WalMart

You can buy self adhesive levelers at WalMart in the RV/automotive section. Over time the yellow dye will fade, but the bubble is easy to find. Now how did I determine... level.

I used a 30 inch level and when I found a "level" surface to park, and used my four foot level, for a left to right level. I attached the level below the front window after measuring the center, which you will be close, but with curved surfaces I took the center of the window to be the "center". I checked "level" by putting the level onto the interior floor.

The "front to back level" I placed below where the Safari emblem is on the side by the doorway. Again running the AS up or down with the level upon the floor decking you establish "level". After running the level around a few places on the floor and you are confident you are as level as you can determine... attach the adhesive level where the bubble indicates "level". Do all of this BEFORE you load the trailer... Even the floor applied at the factory is not "level".

Carry one or two extras in the event you missed level by more than a 1/2 inch. The refrigerator... prefers... level, as you might discover later. I took a pen magic marker to underline the level to "replace" the level. Both of my outside WalMart levels are still attached after five years. I would NEVER screw these onto the outside skin. Even when you use levelers for left to right "level" you will only be close... never exact. If you are concerned with being perfectly level, nobody would notice. If your tire pressure is different on one side, that affects your "level". If you are attached to your tow vehicle with your bars attached, it affects your level. It is all relative.

Sure test. Place a basketball on the floor and you shoot a three pointer, relevel. If you find it rolling out the door... you had better recheck... level.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #41
one of those

2011 27 FB International
I picked up a couple of aluminum colored levels. Right next to the yellow ones. Ain't stuck em noplace yet. I have a torpedo level with a magnetic strip down one edge. Works good up front on the frame.

I liked the suggestion someone made about putting a torpedo level in a frying pan on the stove. I hate it when the eggs run out and over one side...
Old 11-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
OK, I've also found a fool proof way to level the AS w/o getting out of the truck even once, or installing a level. When we get to our site and I get parked, my wife gets out and into the trailer, calls on the cell phone & lets me know when the shower and fridge doors hang where "she" wants, if too off from left to right, she grabs the leveling blocks and puts them under the correct wheels. Works every time. !

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote