Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #1

2005 25' International CCD
graham , Washington
Mounting external WiFi antenna?

Hi everyone, I am a proud first time owner of an A/S 2005 Internaional 25 CCD.
Does anyone know how to mount an external wifi antenna? I am considering this marine model but I am not sure how to do it and thread the cable to the interior of th trailer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

¤RadioLabs || CaptiFi - High Power USB Wifi Antenna
Ranier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
You will find much of the information you need here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...ion-37390.html
and here: cell phone reception - Page 2 - Airstream Forums .

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
What Tim said...

And welcome to the forums! Glad to have you on board. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier View Post
Hi everyone, I am a proud first time owner of an A/S 2005 Internaional 25 CCD.
Does anyone know how to mount an external wifi antenna? I am considering this marine model but I am not sure how to do it and thread the cable to the interior of th trailer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

¤RadioLabs || CaptiFi - High Power USB Wifi Antenna
Hi,

See the following thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...ter-58262.html

There is also some other good into in that thread; worth reading all of it.

Radio labs has a good stuff.

In our trailer the 12V charging system is located at the front of the trailer. I used an existing hole for the 12V stuff that comes in there to pull my antenna wire outside and then into the box with the brake master cylinder (disc brakes). I then attached a piece of PVC pipe with clamps to my electric jack.

I ordered a collapsible boat hook from west marine. I removed the hook part.

I attached my antenna to a piece of PVC that slides over the smallest section of the boat hook.The boat hook pole fits into the PVC on the jack.

I can now put the antenna up/down easily and store the pole in my rear storage compartment.The cable is stored in the box with the master cylinder with a cover over the connector for the antenna to keep it clean when on the road or not in use.

Good luck...

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Simple Wi-fi antenna

I got tired of low strength on wifi at parks and, since I am using a 3rd party adapter on my Mac, I just got a usb extension and attached the adapter to the ceiling with velcro. Works.
cheers, bill b.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
I am about to under go the same thing just a different route.

I just purchased a Hawking HI-Gain outdoor wireless repeater. Here is a link. My plan is to mount it on the back of the AC housing or flat on top and run the power cable down the reffer vent. It is weather proof and very high powered (will give you a little tingle if you touch both antennas). This will allow me signal with out having my computer hooked to a cable.

I just installed one of these at work and i have full signal over 1000ft away and the unit that it connects to is 200ft further away than that.
While installing this I barrowed it for the weekend camping trip. I plugged it in the outlet in the reffer hatch and had perfect signal. ( I had no signal even outside before.) This unit will act as a repeater, bridge, or and Access point.

I do not work for or sell these units. (I work for a college that uses them now)

You can pick one up for around $250 - $300.

Chris
ck21084 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, wifi signal booster