Old 03-03-2014, 07:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
I've been chasing leaks for 5 months now in an empty shell... Its hard enough to find them that way- cant imagine trying to chase these with the interior skins & furnishings in it...

I've found my worst offenders have been the vertical seam between the endcap and fuselage. Particularly on the curb side. The water runs off the awning rail like a gutter, and develops a river down the seams. Drove me nuts trying to figure out where it was coming from, so I finally drilled out all the rivets, jammed it full of vulkem, and buttoned it back up. FINALLY leak free there... Free's me up to devote more detective work to find the others.

Sealant across the tops of the windows and doors are easy to see and fix. Rubrails and awning rails are also easy. BUT.... Pesky rivets here and there would be impossible to find without the interior out, unless you pressure test.

So... since I'm only starting from a temporarily leak free coach, my long term solution is:
#1- try to seal up the c channel in the floor and provide a way to direct the water out. There is someone on here that put some tubes in the c-channel. I think that's a great way to let the water out that will inevitably get in through a seam or rivet.
#2- Keep it covered when stored.

Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am the one who put the tubes in the c-channel and made it water tight so water would go out the drains instead of into the floor.

The only fixed leak is the last one and the next one. The two piece window frames leak where the joints are.

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post
DW and I are staying in a RV resort in Casa Grande, Arizona at the moment and enjoying it immensely. The other night we got absolutely pelted with rain for several hours which we both found pleasant.

We're in Casa Grande too, and will be here for another couple of weeks. PM me and we can get together for coffee.

AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote