Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Belvidere , Illinois
MOLD on bed platform

Hi all... just wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with this. About a month and a half ago we had a leak that caused one side of our bed to get soaked in a rain storm. We fixed the leak and THOUGHT that we had dealt with the soaked mattress and bed platform but this morning we were cleaning and when I lifted up the mattress to move it out of the way the top half of the bed platform was covered in green mold. Ugh. We used undiluted bleach to wipe down the whole platform and I wiped off the mattress with a diluted mixture. The mattress did not show any mold but I am sure that it is there nonetheless. So what I wanted to ask is this... are we screwed? Do we need to replace that wooden piece of the platform...or just get a new mattress? I am worried that the mold may be inside the wall of the trailer where the leak was too. The leak came from a screw in the awning fixture outside that was loose. Once we tightened it up the leak stopped immediately.

When it rains it pours... I also realized that our dog picked up fleas somewhere over the past week or so. You should SEE the inside of this trailer. The whole thing is torn apart as I am trying to clean and sanitize everything. Our poor little Rudy thinks that we have lost our minds. He has been scrubbed down and dosed with Frontline and is now huddled in the corner staring at me with utter contempt. Mold and fleas all in one day. Great fun.

Visit our travel blog "Full Hook Ups"
silverpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Rusty bed springs...

Now you know the reasons why in the past our parents and grandparents had those creaking box springs on their bed frames under the mattresses. They created great air flow through the mattress and that kept the mold issues at bay on the mattresses. As for the mold issue inside the wall. This can only be addressed by opening up the wall section and cleaning/disinfecting the interior of the wall area where the leaking occurred. Then replace the damaged insulation and re-install the wall panel. Lots of work to be sure, but worth it to keep it from getting worse or doing more damage where you cannot see it until it's too late. I would also recommend that you look hard at the platform the mattress sits on. You may want to replace that plywood too if you are at all unsure that you have killed the mold issue on it. If it were me I would also drill some vent holes thru the platform to allow for better air circulation thru the mattress. Hope this is not too disappointing news but get that mold issue under control as it can be a serious health hazard! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Big fun of Rudy

If you don't want to replace the wood you can seal it with a product called Kilz. Make sure everything is dry. The wall is somewhat sealed and may not pose a problem. The mattress is probably a goner though.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Belvidere , Illinois
Hi guys... thanks for the help and info. I have made an appointment at the Airstream dealership in Manteca, CA for tomorrow and we are going to drive over there and have them replace the plywood and check out the situation with the leak in the wall. I will see if we can get a mattress ordered from them as well. We are hoping that since we are still under our original warranty some if not all of this will be covered. Maybe I am an idiot for thinking that.... but I am hoping.

I will be doing everything that I can to avoid this happening again in the future. Drilling holes.... getting some of that Kilz stuff... etc. etc. Thanks for the advice.

Visit our travel blog "Full Hook Ups"
silverpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
mold remediation

Peanut,

I've had the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with a major water leak halfway through a hospital remodeling project.

In an extremely clean environment such as a hospital, things like mold have to be taken much more seriously than the average house or camper. Aspergillis is something that you and I breathe everyday, but it can be deadly to someone with a compromised immune system.

After tearing out miles of brand new drywall, we use a product called Sporicidin to eliminate the possibility of mold regrowing. We spray it inside the walls, on the walls, under the floor, on the floor, basically everywhere. This stuff will continue to work for up to six months after applying it.

You won't have to go to those extremes, and realistically shouldn't. The stuff isn't good to be breathing all the time, but it wouldn't hurt to keep a spray bottle of the stuff handy. Use it sparingly.

Let your camper air out thoroughly before occupying it again.

I bought a quart size spray bottle for my camper at Gas detectors | Thermal Imaging Cameras

You might want to consider a 100% foam mattress. I've found them to be a much better night's sleep than a conventional mattress. (Personal opinions don't mean much.) Latex foam won't harbor mold. I got a mattress with 6 inches of latex and 3 inches of memory foam on top for $525 delivered. I bought it from Foam N' More And Upholstery, Michigan USA

Good luck,

Woody
Woody.303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, mattress, mold