Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2014, 08:57 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
That's catchy lol

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Pharm...not sure if the "doing it" referred to alarms, but here's a pic anyway of my alarm/rag setup. I super glued the rag to the pad that the probes stick out of being careful to keep the glue off the rag area making contact with the probes so as not to interfere with wicking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140315_115527_411.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	215651

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Rich, the five leaks I have found all came down between the exterior and interior walls and wetted the plywood subfloor but not the top of the vinyl. I found them using the same Sonin meter as the o.p. by probing through the vinyl around the perimeter of the trailer. How would the moisture alarms contact moisture under the vinyl?

Our trailer was delivered with no leaks, but they developed over our 2 1/2 years of extensive travel, at different times. I probe the floor perimeter regularly, at least quarterly. Suspect entry points are at the entrance door, under windows not adjusted tight enough, and especially in the floor under the awning support arm mounting brackets (which are installed after the leak test at the factory) because the awning(s) act like rain gutters directing water to the ends and down over the awning support arms.

Do not direct high water pressure from a hose onto the sides of the trailer to search for leaks; there is a good chance you will create new ones. With pressure, you could probably force water through most of the door, storage hatch, and window seals. Certainly the fridge access hatches. Once the water gets into the plywood floor under the vinyl, it's difficult to dry out.

These various moisture meters or alarms should be part of the Airstream tool kit and used regularly to ensure fresh leaks are found and sealed before they cause damage from floor rot.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:57 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
One of the biggest issues I found trying to dry the floor is that my 2008 has reflectix insulation under the flooring in a single sheet. Once water gets in, it can't get out. One should open the bellypan and slice the insulation in areas that are prone to get wet so that moisture can exit. I pulled all the reflectix out of the rear of my trailer and installed foam insulation blocked a half inch away from the flooring so it can breathe. As an old harley mechanic told me once when I asked him how to seal my turnsignal lenses once and for all: "No matter what you do, water WILL get in. The solution is to ensure that there is a way for it to get out. Drilling a small weep holes at the bottom of the turnsignal lens was the answer.

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:21 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Doug, Obviously you can't in areas outside of nooks, crannies and cabinets. I looked for creative ways to permanently install. Most leaks between the skins find their way to the interior floor through the breaks in the c-channel at the ends of the curved sections of the corner panels...and run from there. (not all. I know). These are the areas where I install the "rag" alarms. Under the sofa and carpet in front and under the removable rubber floor in the rear. Areas that are exposed and can't have an install, I probe with a meter when I have reason to be suspicious.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I'm kinda confused by the rag setup...need to revisit

The rag is installed under the flooring in that area and probe touches exposed edge of rag? Do you have a pick of it installed?

I'm not sure about the insulation concern - guess I'll have dealer look into that when I bring it in

Old 07-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I'm kinda confused by the rag setup...need to revisit

The rag is installed under the flooring in that area and probe touches exposed edge of rag? Do you have a pick of it installed?

I'm not sure about the insulation concern - guess I'll have dealer look into that when I bring it in
Sure, It's kind hard to get to with the phone, so some explanation will be needed;
Again the c-channel is a water highway. It is broken only fore and aft of each wheel well, the entry door. and at the ends of each curved corner section. So far in my experience, if there is a leak water WILL find its way to the corner breaks. I've never had any moisture at the wheel wells and I'm not sure why not, but I'll take it. When I've had door/front side window leaks, the water has run to the corner c-channel breaks. So, I have 4 of the rag setups, with Doberman alarms:

Here, either side of the rear trunk compartment door. I've had water here a lot, but think I found the upper awning mount was the biggest culprit.

Name:	IMG_20140706_085448_247.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	215756

The rag is placed below a removable rubber floor I installed in place of the OE carpet, which was always wet.

Here, the rag setup is on both outside edges of the battery boxes where there are breaks in the front panel c-channel AND access to the c-channel from cutouts in the inner skin. The rag is stuffed partly under the carpet and partly into the c-channel floor

Name:	IMG_20140706_085606_991.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	215757

In addition, I have several of these, which just sit on 4 probes, but need bare wood to be accurate. I have them in areas where there is a void in floor covering and are likely leak locations. This one is under the water heater.

Name:	IMG_20140706_085807_259.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	215758

Does that help?

Old 07-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Pharm, I just had a thought. Show us a pic of your floor to wall molding that hides the edges of the vinyl. You could remove the molding and lay COTTON string (maybe 1/16" diameter??) in the joint and replace the molding in suspect areas. Run the string under counters, cabinets, couches, etc. Then attach the end to an alarm hidden in these areas. The string would be your wick.

I have 3 other areas where I've had moisture in the past that I may try this on.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
That's an excellent idea really - I'll do photos later

Old 07-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I may still have more questions - just busy today

Old 07-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I just tried a mod to the Doberman alarm that I used in a carpeted area, but would work for vinyl as well. I took the probe assembly out of the holder and slipped a sewing needle up into the rubber mount (eye end). I then wrapped braided fishing line around the probe and the needle, tied it off and put a drop of super glue on the line. (This is a methodology brought over from my RC helicopter frame repair technique) I would have soldered, but I am afraid the whole assembly would melt.
I now have two long needle sharp probes down into the wood.

Name:	IMG_20140709_153758_089.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	216030

Name:	IMG_20140709_153843_685.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	216031

Old 07-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Where do you get these alarms and sensors ?

Old 07-10-2014, 04:28 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
This time I got them here...cause they were a couple bucks cheaper, but they're on amazon and others as well. I dp like the Doberman ones the best of the two kinds I tried. And they ARE LOUD.

They have a convenient test button and once they do detect water, you can shut them off without removing the batts.

Doberman Security Water Leakage Damage Detector Alert Alarm SE 0111 New | eBay

Old 07-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
What if they go off and I don't go in trailer for 24 hours or don't hear?

Do they have an indicator light not sound function?

Old 07-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #115
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You still have your baby monitors?

I mean it really is your baby. Just tell everyone that asks, that it is for your other baby.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
darn good idea...lol...but my monitor's rechargable batteries died and you cannot replace them ....what a rip off!!

Old 07-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
They sound for 20 seconds, then rest for (IIRC) 2 minutes. They continue this until you hit the test button; Or the probes dry, or until batts (2XAAA) run down. That's why Iwill hit the test button occasionally. However, if you're in the yard, you'll hear it. If you're away for a week, batts will die.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #118
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I can't remember is we have ours or not. It had a wall plug for it. If I find it, its yours.

I am sure you could hot wire yours. All you need to know is the voltage. I may even have a power supply you can hack. It is all low voltage.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
darn good idea...lol...but my monitor's rechargable batteries died and you cannot replace them ....what a rip off!!
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
My wife threw it away of course - lol

I see - ok that'll work

I'm going to look into purchase a few tonight on amazon and then figure best method for install as we have discussed

Old 07-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #120
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Cumming , Georgia
Just spread some baby or foot powder in the area you suspect a possible leak. Look for moisture tracking in it after the next rain. If you want to check vertical seams, there is a spray white powder designed for this.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Matthew014 is offline   Reply With Quote