Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
No noise I've noticed walking around

I'm conflicted

No trip planned till weekend of 8/22 so that should be ok

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Also as you can see I officially hate my miniblinds lol - they won't last
Look into MCD Roller shades like they use in Winnebagos. I understand they will custom build to fit Airstreams. They are way better than either curtains or Airstreams Roller Shades.

They have two shades in one fixture, one light blocking for privacy and the other is a UV block that allows light but not the heat . They stop at variable positions when pulled down. They also retract very slowly rather than snap up like other shades.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:46 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I pulled up the edge closer to the heating vent and felt a bit under the flooring - no overt moisture but reading there was 40% as opposed to 100% around wardrobe - meter probe touching inner surface of flooring no reading - touching surface of plywood no reading - poke into wood a bit and 40%

Old 06-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Sunnyvale , California
Reading along with interest. We have only been in rain once, while parked, but I should get the moisture meter out when we get the trailer out this weekend...

I was interested to see that you have to slam your door, too! It is such a pain to lock! Our 2012 27FB was not like that at all.
silver27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:51 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Has anyone had a leak from the storage compartment that produced this pattern? I'm worried there is a leak from say a seam or perhaps the awning bracket

I guess if I bring to dealer the will test the whole area for a leak

Old 06-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Airstreams response has been generic

Representative expressed "not understanding" what 100% on the meter means as to them it would indicate the equivalent of "dropping it in a bucket of water"....

Interestingly I asked if AS folks recommend a particular meter and if so guidelines on how to interpret. Response was he did not know about meters only of them and that AS does not issue any such guidance

I also have asked what advice AS gives for owners to detect leaks....no response on that question yet

Old 06-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Well - I'm getting a babysitter and am going to haul my AS over to Foley Saturday and leave it there for various repairs including addressing the leak

I'm nervous for this to be a different leak and then later find out it still has a leak - but I'm staying up beat lol

I was told by dealer that their process will be to dry it all out then essentially inspect all seams - roof - fix the front storage problem - then drench the heck out of all these areas with water and look for water intrusion

Old 06-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Airstreams response has been generic

Representative expressed "not understanding" what 100% on the meter means as to them it would indicate the equivalent of "dropping it in a bucket of water"....

Interestingly I asked if AS folks recommend a particular meter and if so guidelines on how to interpret. Response was he did not know about meters only of them and that AS does not issue any such guidance

I also have asked what advice AS gives for owners to detect leaks....no response on that question yet
I'm not sure what 100% is either. Most of the meters I shopped, if they weren't just color coded scales, were zero to 50% scales.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I'll need to look at my meter again but point is it is at full tilt in that one area around the wardrobe at at half tilt on the other side

And no where else in the flooring does the needle move beyond a tiny bit

Doesn't take a rocket scientist

AS should advise routine inspections by owners to use such devices to find leaks unseen - but I'm guessing that would encourage people to find leaks within the warranty period

Perhaps I am being cynical saying that but that interpretation seems consistent with reality

It seems some leaks can be hard to find much less predict - and yet AS only tells us to do annual inspections of all seams and such

I just am not sure that is enough?

Good for thought I guess

Old 06-30-2014, 08:20 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Correction Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1404181209.286136.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	678.1 KB
ID:	215304

Old 07-01-2014, 12:02 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
I'll need to look at my meter again but point is it is at full tilt in that one area around the wardrobe at at half tilt on the other side

And no where else in the flooring does the needle move beyond a tiny bit

Doesn't take a rocket scientist

AS should advise routine inspections by owners to use such devices to find leaks unseen - but I'm guessing that would encourage people to find leaks within the warranty period

Perhaps I am being cynical saying that but that interpretation seems consistent with reality

It seems some leaks can be hard to find much less predict - and yet AS only tells us to do annual inspections of all seams and such

I just am not sure that is enough?

Good for thought I guess
Hi Airstream shouldn't have to advise owners to do this; They have had about 80 years to fix this problem.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:53 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I was able to pull up the flooring inside the bottom of wardrobe - feel it - and no overt moisture is left there but meter reads wood as moist

I stuffed some paper towels in there and will keep an eye on it and may spray some areas profusely

No rain in forecast this week

Still will probably bring it in Saturday and let them take out some stuff and let the wood dry and address some other small issues

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1404215515.364337.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	724.6 KB
ID:	215373

If this was a leak from driving wet conditions from many weeks ago I guess it is mostly superficially dry but wood is moist

Old 07-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #93
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Common sense makes me check fot leaks and other things Everytime I go camping. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Put you a camera back there next time it rains. A moisture detector with alarm would be cool and I think there is a post somewhere on this sight about such a device. My rear doors are the same as his and I have expected them to leak but the have not. My trailer has had 30 more yrs for the gaskets to conform. My floor is coated plywood and the edges are sealed where the wall meets the floor so water can't get into the wood. It might not be a bad idea to coat the floor then put flooring over that.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:31 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I think I will now seal up that door as bob did - leak test the door and ensure total seal from water - then spray the hell out of the airstream and see if water intrudes - same for after a rain

I think now that I am able to lift that area of flooring I can get it to dry our remnant moisture in wood - and of not a bit later I'll have them remove wardrobe when I go in for warranty service

I am interested in looking into a multiprobfulltime leak detection system - I read something about such a setup in another thread as well

Old 07-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #96
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
plywood

well Pharmgeek, you inspired me. I pulled up the linoleum in the rear bedroom of my International and looked under it. Plywood looked normal. Wonder what the black paint on the plywood is? Linoleum wasn't glued down, just a few staples along the wall here and there, it was relatively easy. Dry as a bone, no water stains. AS has been inside for a month, and when we had it out it didn't rain. I have a moisture meter on order.

I have been in under the wardrobe in the middle of the trailer near the wheel well. I have been trying to organize the 'rats nest' of cables and hoses.
No signs of wet plywood their either. I was somewhat surprised how they just cut a hole in the plywood and left it open. A lot of lines and wires go down there. You can see down to the freshwater tank and frame, and I think I can see the belly pan.
Took the vacuum in there and got rid of sawdust and a spider. Figure I will make some kind of hatch\lid\door somehow. The smaller cut under the refrigerator was easier to clean and organize, gorilla tape took care of that opening. The water pump was there and it has a inline fuse right on the pump. Think I may add a couple LED's in that area to light it up around the pump. Power is already there. I liked how they looped the water lines to help quiet the hammering of the pump. I had done that on my previous trailer.
No Moisture in there that I could tell. Didn't find the AC power input lines though.
thanks
Old 07-04-2014, 07:39 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Here is something to consider. These are cheap. I would think you could make a probe with a couple of small stainless screws or something that would replace the stock probe. For $10 you could get one and play with it.

Glentronics, Inc. BWD-HWA Basement Watchdog Water Sensor and Alarm - Household Alarms And Detectors - Amazon.com

There are other sensors that have a transmitter and alarm but then you have two points of failure and the potential for loss of signal due to being in a Faraday cage.

Perry
Old 07-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have several of the alarms like Perry shows. Where I have removable flooring or carpet, I affixed a small square of cloth to the probes. The slightest leak wicks up the rag and triggers the alarm.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:53 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Doing it!

Old 07-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #100
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Keep us informed on The Adventures of the PharmGeek Squad.

Perry