Old 06-18-2014, 02:07 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Make them find and fix it if it's a new one. But, in my opinion, any Airstream will leak SOMEWHERE if a substantial amount of time isn't spent maintaining caulk, gaskets, etc. Having said that, I will say that I also think every RV leaks SOMEWHERE, or will eventually. Make 'em fix a new one, but then stay on the caulking and detective work. I'm always looking for a damp spot...and when I find one I then track down the source. Sometimes it's surprising. Incomplete winterizing has been the problem twice - once our fault, once a dealers' - a broken seam in a wheel well. It almost becomes a game of "gotcha" when I find and remedy one! Overall, our 1987 Airstream is dry and tight compared to many new units.
And that's the reason that although we want to fulltime and need the storage space, we can't convince ourselves to make the jump to SOB moho. I've seen so much shoddy workmanship in truly expensive mohos - classes A, B, and C.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:10 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
And oh, yeah. Storage compartments are my first suspects and usually bad or poorly seated gaskets are the problem. Still better than the new sprinter class B I saw recently on a lot which had water in the tail lights. Hmmmmm.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:06 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
PharmGeek, after three attempts of my dealer to repair when i went to Jackson Center i mentioned i mentioned i wished that dang hatch was not even there. They said if want a new skin there no problem. Keep in mind the first generation BH models also experienced tearing of the skin due to alot of flex up on the front only made worse by a 3/4 ton ride and stiff hitch bars. Rounded corner door solved the stress in the 90 degree corners but that front panel flexes alot and that door moves within its frame which i feel would be hard to seal as things keep moving around. When i was doing my own experimenting i taped from the outside the hatch closed, after 600 mile trip the verticle sections of the tape were torn from lateral movement.
There is some info on all of this if you go thru Rich Luhrs original BH thread. He had front door leak issues as well!
Old 06-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That looks like the exact same design of door that I have at the back of my trailer. Mine don't leak but I have been expecting them to. Maybe mine is so old that the gasket has taken the shape of the door and it does not leak. We ran through a big rain storm on the way to Fort Desoto when we in FL the other day and mine did not seem to leak and they don't leak at home sitting in the drive way. You might try some silicone grease around the gasket to help it seal. This might also allow you to see where there is contact with the gasket and where there is not contact with the gasket. Mine has some gaps at the bottom there the hinge mounts but that does not seem to be a leak point. It is a place for bugs to get in.

Perry
Old 06-18-2014, 08:05 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Perry - I suspect a rear compartment that perhaps had same problem would be less likely to leak as you do not get the direct spray of water perhaps

Also the rear door on mine is same design but much less wide and perhaps seals up better

I checked for wet spot under the rear bunk bed in the far reach of the storage compartment under that bed - no signs of moisture so far there but during all future trips I will be lining all storage compartments with newspaper and inspecting them if having to drive in rain or even after heavy rains stationary

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
Make them find and fix it if it's a new one. But, in my opinion, any Airstream will leak SOMEWHERE if a substantial amount of time isn't spent maintaining caulk, gaskets, etc. Having said that, I will say that I also think every RV leaks SOMEWHERE, or will eventually. Make 'em fix a new one, but then stay on the caulking and detective work. I'm always looking for a damp spot...and when I find one I then track down the source. Sometimes it's surprising. Incomplete winterizing has been the problem twice - once our fault, once a dealers' - a broken seam in a wheel well. It almost becomes a game of "gotcha" when I find and remedy one! Overall, our 1987 Airstream is dry and tight compared to many new units.
And that's the reason that although we want to fulltime and need the storage space, we can't convince ourselves to make the jump to SOB moho. I've seen so much shoddy workmanship in truly expensive mohos - classes A, B, and C.
Again, ideally I would march up there and hold them accountable....but it comes at a cost...I am likely to figure out a temporary fix and plan a trip up there next summer well before my warranty expires...I am crafting an email today or tonight to the folks at AS to keep a track record of the problems to date.

From what many seem to know about these storage doors, this is a very poor design....If the leak test at JC does not pick this problem up...it must be because it does not in the process spray any water directly at the storage compartment as even a light spray from my hose penetrated....when the hose was on without the spray nozzle and hit more directly, it just pours in

Old 06-18-2014, 08:14 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Bob, thanks...exactly the sorta thing I need to remedy....much appreciated...

Now, AS should send me the weather stripping on their dime, lol

Old 06-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
On the bright side...I have no other moisture detected throughout the entire trailer and at least I think I have found this leak clearly....as opposed to some crazy leak that tracks from some place far away and difficult to ever identify....(although it is possible I suppose that could still be the case, but unlikely).

Hoping this moist spot under the flooring can somehow be dried out before I am able to get to JC...I am doubtful...I plan on marking off the area of moisture with borders of some sort and monitoring it for any expansion or contraction over time.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Is the area of floor that is wet visible? If it is not visible, I would suggest cutting the flooring are removing a section so it can dry. The longer it stays wet the more damage it will do. Especially with this heat and humidity this time of year.

Perry
Old 06-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Moisture detected in floor - what now ?

From the storage compartment the water hits and goes under that linoleum type flooring - none is visible on top if this flooring

I will ask folks at AS what I should do and get it on record before I braved citing up anything

But I get your point for sure - I want it DRY!

There is no way I can get to JC until at least November or December - but more likely summer 2015

My leave is just too tight as it is

Old 06-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well once you get the floor dry you can put some caulk around the edge of the flooring so the water stays on top of the floor instead of underneath it. I like leaks above the floor. The ones you can't see are the ones that bite you. The ideal way to dry the floor would be from the bottom by removing the skins and cutting the insulation which you don't need here in the south anyway. If you go to JC, consider having it removed in areas you know are eventually going to get wet.

Perry
Old 06-18-2014, 11:55 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I would trade ducted air upgrade for no leak upgrade

Old 06-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
If the leak test at JC does not pick this problem up...it must be because it does not in the process spray any water directly at the storage compartment as even a light spray from my hose penetrated....when the hose was on without the spray nozzle and hit more directly, it just pours in
Pharma, I would bet that when JC did the original leak test and the trailer was brand-new without one mile put on it, that it did not leak.

Problem is, as soon as you load it up, hitch it to a vehicle, and drive it down the road, you are subjecting the shell to a tremendous new set of stress and strain vectors. Eventually fatigue causes parts to slightly warp or twist or move by mms.

Eventually seals no longer seal and leaks develop. A once tight fitting door, now has a 1/8 inch gap around one side, etc.

This problem is not just an Airstream problem but a problem for all RVs.

I don't understand why Airstream doesn't just spray the inside of the shell with something like RhinoLiner that is used for truck beds. They could do this to the inside of the outer skin and completely seal off the trailer. It would be an impermeable plastic coating that seals nearly forever and is flexible. In addition they could stop using plywood and start using a combination of aluminum and plastic for flooring deck material.

I guess it is just too time consuming in the assembly process to apply such a treatment. But I would think it would make the Airstream nearly leak-proof.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
this is very true....early in this thread I spoke about how at JC it may have passed the test...but having inspected this door and the gasket...I think it would leak when sprayed hard with water direct right at the factory as well....

I have no direct evidence for this...but the door is very long and even if not at all warped from the get go, the pressure applied to the middle and more gentle pressure along the ends I doubt will stop more forceful water from entering while driving in rain....

I forget exactly when, but very soon after buying the same model as mine, "iggy walker" noticed water come in that same spot as well...

This door as it is will leak under such conditions for most all owners very soon after purchase if not even if you pulled it off the factory floor and into the rain at 60mph....

but maybe though for most it takes a bit of driving to mess it up?

No biggie for me now...I am actually relieved that it should be an easy fix to stop the water intrusion for now....and I am glad folks on this forum encouraged the kind proactivity needed.

I plan on here on out lining all compartments with news paper (or some paper that would easily show evidence of water intrusion) and check them periodically after heavy rainfall and driving in rain....couple that with use of the leak detector...and I will keep an eye on things...

Im not sure about how to inspect and how to re-caulk the seams...iggy walker told me last night that they in the past with their previous airstream would add sealant to seams that looked like they needed it...im not sure what I would be looking for and when I should be looking and how to apply what sealant at this point...

Should I inspect all my seams now and quarterly or every 6 months or so? that may be better for another thread....I need to check through all clearance lights as well....etc...