Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
nice! I wonder if JC when I go will also do a leak test...

I am quite sure that the leak is from that storage door....but I suppose it is plausible that it could be also from another location....I hope not...I will be asking JC if it is advicable to bring up the flooring in the suspect area between now and my visit there next year and let is dry and put in a fix for the front door to keep water out...

If I can establish a new baseline of ALL DRY floors on the meter, then put newspaper in all storage compartments and continue to watch for moisture with the meter, then I can know that no further moisture is getting through....

But as it is, that spot will be positive for moisture for.....how long?

I have not been able to email JC, but plan to email those folks mentioned today and get the ball rolling...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
The other day while trying to find some place to service my wheel bearings I stopped at an SOB dealership that is only a couple of miles from my house. While there another customer came in with complaints of leaks in his new $100k fifth wheel. The service manager told him that "No problem that can not be found and fixed. They had a pressurized leak test room." I followed them out to the shop and sure enough they did have one. It looked like a huge paint room. The customer made an appointment to bring his trailer in for testing. Because this complaint seems so common my opinion is that every Airstream dealership should be required by Thor/Airstream to have such a testing facility. New owners should not have to drive long distances to the mother ship to have this done.

My wife and I discussed at length the potential headache of having warranty issues and that we have no dealer close by really to address such issues....and that we would just have to accept a trek or two up to JC.....it is what it is, but it is tough for two full time working parents with small kids.....

I do recall last year JC telling me that technically dandy RV over east of B-ham I think in anniston still lists as an approved service center although they no longer can sell AS's...but I got some feedback that I would be better off not bringing it there for repairs...

Old 06-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, PharmGeek; Just put the double "D" shaped weather seal all around the storage door like I did and be done with it. Airstream will just replace the useless gasket that your trailer was built with. I messed with the factory seal and could still easily push my door in almost one inch. Not good.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
That design is garbage - period - I will try your fix and leak test again with the garden hose this weekend

Old 06-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
There is new full service Airstream dealership in Florida. It is Dixie RV in Defuniak Springs, Florida.
Shorter drive from you than coming all the way over to Gulfport.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If an SOB dealership has a leak pressure room, why not have them run your AS through it and note where the leaks are? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
There is new full service Airstream dealership in Florida. It is Dixie RV in Defuniak Springs, Florida.
Shorter drive from you than coming all the way over to Gulfport.

1 hour difference...and I know foley better...although if defuniak have established great track record, then that is a possibility.

The reason either foley or defuniak would prove logistically difficult would be, because I would need to show up there on a weekday during business hours...which would mean missing one day of work to get there....then I would likely need to leave the trailer with them and come back another day requiring a second day of missed work....that sounds like no big deal, but the leave burns up quick...and while I am not entirely sure, if I cruise up to JC and plan 2 days off, I think I can get all my issues resolved in 2 days and it seems that for the most part the JC folks do a better job than the dealers do....

I am wondering if defuniak folks or foley could meet me at their facility really quick for a weekend drop off and a weekend pickup later and thus not burning any leave? I need to ask them. I guess that is a possibility....

I like the idea of the SOB leak test....but I wanna go by the book by what AS folks say within the warranty period?

Somehow the JC route seems more simple and overall maybe even less driving back and forth etc....but if the weekend drop off/pickup route is available that would be maybe attractive...

Old 06-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I have found umpteen local RV leak detectives.

Just Google RV Sealtech testing (and your city/area).
Old 06-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
what does airstream mothership say about leak testing at such facilities? I would be nervous that it would void warranty in some way? beyond the warranty I would just do it? Is there risk associated with such a test? I would think not, but better to ask I suppose.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I spoke to Ron at Foley..very helpful...he gave me Rick March email and I am going to email him all the info about all this....ald Ron already told me that if the time comes, he could meet me on a weekend for a drop off and pickup...

I advised foley that it may be a good idea to take all new trailers on their lot with this door design and do 2 things: 1) at night turn on the light in that storage compartment and see if light shows through (I bet 20 bucks most will of this type/size of door) and 2) hose it down for 5 min with newspaper inside of it to see if it will leak.

I bet that the leak test at JC does not directly spray that area with the nozzles in that facility because there is a garage door there for the entrance.....thus never getting a positive on this leak test...conjecture I know, but worth asking.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
does anyone know if that flooring is glued to the floor...I recall in another thread remembering that it was....?

Old 06-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
The linoleum flooring is perimeter glued. If you peel up the first 8 to 10 inches it will lift up. If you can peel up the edge put some golf balls under there and allow it to dry.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The twin bed Classic rear hatch has square corners. The bed cabinetry was not even touching the rear wall, so one could see outside the trailer through the cracks with the hatch open. There is a plastic tub storage area immediately inside the hatch, so I wonder if there was wood at the perimeter edge under the hatch hinge?

The light test is a good idea, but it needs to be pitch black and one would need to move the light source along the hinge inside to see any light leakage.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If it does not come up easily, try heating it a little with a hair dryer to soften the glue.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:01 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
The other day while trying to find some place to service my wheel bearings I stopped at an SOB dealership that is only a couple of miles from my house. While there another customer came in with complaints of leaks in his new $100k fifth wheel. The service manager told him that "No problem that can not be found and fixed. They had a pressurized leak test room." I followed them out to the shop and sure enough they did have one. It looked like a huge paint room. The customer made an appointment to bring his trailer in for testing. Because this complaint seems so common my opinion is that every Airstream dealership should be required by Thor/Airstream to have such a testing facility. New owners should not have to drive long distances to the mother ship to have this done.
Interesting - but I don't quite understand how a pressurized leak test room works.

Doesn't it seem more logical to try to pressurize the trailer - say with fans attached to an adapter in the doorway or some other opening - then check outside on the trailer skin for leaks with some sort of soap bubble solution at all likely points?

I've not seen it done, but I though that was the usual way of leak testing and it seems to make sense.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
If it does not come up easily, try heating it a little with a hair dryer to soften the glue.

Perry

I'll need to look at it again - but the wardrobe bottom cabinet lays on top of the moist area so it gets in way of pulling it up :/

Old 06-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Marked off positive readings

Randy mccneely is in communication with myself and my dealer

I had hoped to wait till much later and just keep an eye on the readings but the moisture extends down that entire wall making it impossible to see if worsening or not

I'm thinking I'll have to drop it off with foley next Saturday - 5 hours each way then a month later go pick it up

Thinking about it

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1403834293.254633.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	714.8 KB
ID:	214986

And don't worry - washable marker - tested it first

Old 06-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Also as you can see I officially hate my miniblinds lol - they won't last

Old 06-26-2014, 08:35 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The day/night shades are terrible, also. The best thing is the curtains in tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
long wait

> "I'm thinking I'll have to drop it off with foley next Saturday - 5 hours each way then a month later go pick it up "

Bummer. Gone for a month, and in the summer too.
Heck I miss mine when its not out here in the side yard during the week. We keep it in dry garage storage. Kinda expensive, but at least its not getting the hell beat out of it with baseballs and hail if it was here at the house!

Maybe Foley will change the weather stripping for you and test for leaks, and it will fix it. You could get it back sooner than later. Think positive.

I have a creak on one side of the bed, in the bed room, when you walk a certain way around it. Does your floor make any noise when you walk around the edges near the moisture?

Best regards