Old 08-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2004 25' Safari
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Moisture Barrier Under Bed

I'm replacing a section of rotten floor in the rear bedroom of my 2004 Safari 25' (famous rear bumper leak). Now installing new carpet with pad and wonder if the plastic sheet covering the carpet under the bed frame is important. Should I replace it of leave it out - wonder what others have done.

Regards, Jim

WBCCI #3735
swede0030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The way trailers are built the rug or floor covering is placed over the complete floor as a starter. The plastic is put down next to protect the rug during construction. It is cut out in the exposed areas before delivery. It should be completely removed to allow the rug to breath but is never removed.

Do not install it during your rework unless you are a bean counter and subscribe to their train of thoughts.

2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Th reason for floor rot is the leak, followed by trapped moisture. I would take measures to prevent both, and that would mean no plastic sheet under the bed. It would also be good to ensure the under-bed area is ventilated to the inside of the trailer. If there is an outside storage access to this area, be sure the hatch seal is tight and not leaking water or air.

I bought a moisture test meter from Amazon with a probe to regularly check the underfloor for leaks in our new trailer. I found one near the entrance door caused by a loose door hinge. There is no other way to find underfloor moisture early, except disassembly. Good investment, about $30.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2004 25' Safari
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Thanks, you folks are a great help!
Regards, Jim

WBCCI #3735
swede0030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master
1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
The plastic barrier hides the presence of a recently developed water leak that you would likely notice by the wet carpet. My city water inlet developed a small leak due to poor design and because of the plastic barrier I didn't even notice it until the OSB flooring in the road side compartment was completely soaked and turned into a ruined punky mess. Get rid of it wherever possible is my advice.
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
Austin, TX "Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote