Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
Mirror attachment

I'd like to mount a scissor expandable mirror in the bathroom on the wall between the bedroom and the bath. We have a 30' Classic (015). I have mounted a number of these in homes that I've lived in, but the AS has a different set of challenges ( thin walls). Normally I would use anchors in the wall for the screws which work just fine, but I'm sure that wall is way too thin for that.

First, does anyone know the thickness dimension of that wall and the obvious second question would be "what would securely fasten the mirror to the wall" if you cannot use an anchor?
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
IN MY EXCELLA the bulkhead wall between the bath room and bed room is ~0.5" plywood.
By removing the cabinet drawers I can see the edges of the plywood where the ducts and wires go through it.

I've been considering one of those mirrors also, but am concerned that it might not hold up well while traveling.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Mirror attachment

Use a short machine screw through the wall mount plate for the mirror, go through the wall, and finish with a large-diameter washer, or “fender washer” and a lock washer and “acorn nut” if it is exposed. Screw length is critical to keeping it looking neat.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Rmkrum's answer certainly would work if you have access to the backside of the thin plywood forming that part of the wall

If not, double-sided mounting tape (the foam type) over the entire back of the mount together with screws (with threads that extend to the head of the screw) will often work well. The screws provide mechanical linkage to prevent movement parallel to the wall and the tape keeps the mount from pulling away from the wall. The screws also keep the tape from pulling free over a long period of time.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:23 PM   #5
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
On thin panels you could use silicone as adhesive and mechanically secure with rivets (which are more secure than screws.)
Old 04-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Consider checking with factory customer service on this.

The 22 sport and 25 flying cloud actually have a dual sided magnifying mirror that is similar, and the factory may be able to tell you how those are mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3918.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	307617  

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
magnifying mirror

I like, RMKrum's idea the best, at least until, I was shown that these mirrors already exist in the Airstream universe. I'll give mecca a call this wk. Barring that, I should be able to determine the thickness of the wall area, after I drill the hole for the screw, thereby being able to purchase the correct length screw for a fender washer and an acorn nut. I'm sure the silicone adhesive and the double sided mounting tape have merit, but being the cynic, I like the idea of the screws with the acorn nut. I was puzzled however by the suggestion of a rivet. I'm not sure I understand the mechanics of that. Were you referring to a pop rivet ?

Thanks to all for their input and Piggy Bank's pic illustration.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:06 PM   #8
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordionman View Post
... I'm not sure I understand the mechanics of that. Were you referring to a pop rivet ?
Yes, using a pop rivet. Check out this video from RV Geeks.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:16 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Pop rivets

I watched the pop rivets video. What a great idea ! Clean, neat and quick mounting of stuff. I still like the machine screw with the acorn nut, but the pop rivet tends to be a quicker method and still, I would think, very secure.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:44 AM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordionman View Post
I watched the pop rivets video. What a great idea ! Clean, neat and quick mounting of stuff. I still like the machine screw with the acorn nut, but the pop rivet tends to be a quicker method and still, I would think, very secure.
Pop rivets are nice for mounting thru an inside aluminum walll care drilling thru.

On wood wall, I am concerned about “separating “ the plywood as the rivet distorts. Consider that should rivet loosen you have to replace to tighten.

Also, for big loads, like the fire extinguisher in the video, there a bunch (ok several) holding the mount bracket in place. I used 2 metal screws and it has lasted 4 years.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:00 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
mirror mounting

I spoke with a gentleman at the factory the other day to discuss this. Mentioning to him about the mirrors that are coming from the factory installed on the 22 sport and the 25 FC, he indicated that initially the factory was using double sided tape and then switched to wood screws. I asked what the thickness of the wall was and he said 3/4 inch. Covering one sheet of thin plywood on either side with some framing in between.

Considering this answer, here are my thoughts. I think the machine screw with the lockwasher, fender washer and acorn nut win.

1. the pop rivet is a great idea; quick, neat and done. However, I think that the Poprivet will exert stress on the inside of the thin wall paneling and only on one panel which over a longer period of time would concern me.

2. AS's idea of a woodscrew doesn't sit well with me; I just don't think there is enough meat in the wall to support the stress on it.

The machine screw goes through both walls. The fender washer distributes a lot of the stress to the other side of the wall. The lockwasher should do its job of stopping it from loosening and the acorn nut will cosmetically dress it up.

Our next trip is the AS rally at Myrtle Beach, the end of this month. Our classic resides in our driveway for a couple of days prior to departure to pack, etc. I'm going to try to get the mirror and install it then.

Thanks to all for their input.
Ed
Old 04-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
If you can find a stainless steel fender washer and other hardware, that will prevent rust.

You could dress it up with a bit of matching paint, or embrace the shiny stainless steel...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote