Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2016, 06:07 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
No, it's not a good weld. It cracked in the HAZ (heat affected zone) which means the weld was not planned and executed properly.
Maybe you should write Equalizer a new weld procedure.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:28 PM   #62
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I would send the hitch back to Equalizer for a total metallurgical autopsy. I assume the weld was made robotically. If that's true and the weld process was poorly designed then there may be more than one cracked head out there.
But that's a very broad assumption without forensic analysis. It could be nothing more than simple metal fatigue, overloading, or a defect in the base metal.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:59 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My guess is it was welded up by a disgruntled employee with an axe to grind against management.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:47 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
My opinion is that when the piece that now has the crack was bent into the " U " shape the outside of the bend was left in a stretched stress condition. Then when it was welded and the weld cooled the metal was stretched almost to the point of cracking. There should have been some stress reliving treatment such as heat treating when this part was made but maybe that step got missed this time. Maybe everybody went to lunch as the weld cooled and then ran the part through the stress relieving procedure later? Probably a manufacturing defect when it was made and a good metallurgy lab could tell what went wrong. If it was mine and I had to pay the freight to get it replaced I would weld it properly and expect to never have a problem with it again. There is still a lot of weld holding it together and since I don't usually go much over 55 when towing I would drive it to where the problem could be resolved. I would keep an eye on it to make sure the cracks aren't getting bigger. If there is so much force on that type of hitch set up that you could rip the rest of those welds apart I'd be looking at a fifth wheel type of trailer.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:23 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Southern CA , California
I'm pretty sure I just saw this episode of Law and Order: SVU
deadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:53 PM   #66
1 Rivet Member

Cardiff , California
Update on bad hitch

1) yes, its bad
2) Austen Deal a customer service rep at Equali-z-er has been fabulous to work with
3) we went over the image you all saw and then confirmed it was a warranty covered defect
4) I filled out extensive trailer and TV specs in order to qualify the warranty replacement
5) warranty replaced hitch was overnighted - at no cost to me ( i did pay for expedited shipping since we're more or less stuck w/o it )
6) we drove minimally (side streets ; 30mph) as we had to vacate the lot we were parked in
7) there was an extensive walkthrough over the phone with the hitch with Austen .. discussing the washers that were loose and should be tightened, the proper grease spots in addition to on the ball itself;
8) today, we were set to receive the overnight delivery - and it failed to show -- slightly annoying bc we paid the $140 overnight cost and it wasnt sent from shipper in time ... so whatever ... its a 800$ unit so in that sense it's cost of doing business I suppose
9) will be putting on the new hitch upon receipt and have a much better sense of the set up and what to be checking on an on going basis

So that's the update. It was really helpful to read all the comments, even though it was obvious to the knowledgeable outsider, when you're in the TV (Toyota Tundra, 2011, SR5, v8) and you feel all sorts of control ... you just never know.
ryandanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:29 AM   #67
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Alls well that ends well. Good camping.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:17 AM   #68
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Thanks for the report. I'll be giving my equalizer the evil eye this weekend.

Ball was loose too?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:23 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Alls well that ends well.
Or, Alls weld that ends weld.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:46 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
All in all just a minor detour I hope! How about a photo of your replacement part and your complete hitch set-up? Is the new part exactly like the old one?
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:17 PM   #71
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Southern CA , California
Thanks for the update, it's great to see the resolution to the posted problems.
If Progressive/Equalizer was supposed to ship expedited but didn't get it out in time, I'd be asking them for a partial refund. Not sure if you'd have any luck there but I do think they're trying to make sure their customers are happy and the defect you experienced wasn't something trivial.

Good luck!
deadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:15 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Or, Alls weld that ends weld.
Go to your room.

Comments like that get you PUNished.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote