Old 02-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
The opinion and advice from Protagonist is probably the worst I've seen on this board. I've had a trailer when the hitch welds failed while towing. It is not a pretty site. I was also the Chief Officer responding to a double fatality accident when the welds on the hitch failed on a horse trailer and the chains weren't able to hold the trailer behind the truck. The trailer became an unguided missile crossing the center line and killing a mother and her daughter. The irresponsible fool towing the trailer told me that he saw the crack in the hitch, but thought he could get it back to his farm and repair it. They now have an overpass there with her name as a memorial.

I don't think I need to get into the rest of the story involving me, state police, the district attorney, more lawyers, and of course insurance companies. Does the term manslaughter mean anything to you?

Just because there is rust in the crack and may have been there awhile (Although no one really knows), it is a clear sign of impending failure. One good bump or tight turn and you very likely could have a catastrophic failure.
Every response here except one has advised you to not tow and get it replaced. If you're in a location away from home, there are plenty of welding companies who will come out and make a temporary repair that will get you home or to a hitch dealer. Good luck.

The ability to follow instructions is highly underrated.
hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Personal attacks are not necessary.

1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #31
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
You're out west, I'm back east. The chances of me driving behind you are minimal.

Will it fail in the next 15 minutes? Probably not. But that's the kind of thing that would be in the back of my mind every time I towed.

If it was me, I'd replace it ASAP and sleep well.
2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2012 Dodge Durango Hemi/AWD
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:21 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Personal attacks are not necessary.

If I discovered that crack and was within 100 miles of home, I'd tow my trailer home - at 4:00 am at 30 mph watching carefully for rumble strips and potholes. There are always ways to do things at a reduced risk to yourself and humanity in general.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #33
Rivet Master
I guess the real question is simple, would you want the guy in front of you towing a trailer with a hitch that looked like that with your wife and kids in the car?

You know it needs to be replaced either now or when you get it home. Why even take the chance? Convenience is not always a good reason not to do something right away.

If you plan to wait and travel with it, please post picture of rig, roads and dates you will be traveling so me and my family can stay clear.

Paul Waddell
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member
1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
Yeah, when you blow it up you can see that the weld is good and holding, but the metal is separating and it's been there sometime looking at the oxidation
Trons4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member
2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
You know, there could be a lot of metal failure anywhere throughout your truck or trailer. But this one you can actually see--it's real, and not a maybe. If there was enough force applied to start a crack when all was solid, there will certainly be enough to fail the already weakened metal. That could happen five minutes after you hit highway speed.

Please don't take a chance on potential significant financial loss to yourself, and potential loss to life and limb for someone else on the highway.

Don't wait.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #36
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Oxidation like that can happen overnight.

If a person looks at that crack really closely, it seems kinda obvious that the "good weld" on top dose not matter a bit. The hitch will fail on the vertical members.

The metal around the crack is work hardened and will not hold a repair weld for long.

Brevi tempore!
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:11 PM   #37
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I'm staying out of the weld / crack debate but after looking at your PDF of the hitch, now I'm really curious if that ball was loose now or recently.

To the OP, good luck and tow safely.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Originally Posted by ryandanz View Post
Hi all - just noticed this today - after having traveled the southwest (So. Cal & AZ) the better part of 6 weeks ... not sure if this is new or not, growing or not, (although the same size appears on the other side) ..

Any thoughts?

(image should be attached (apologies for its rotated view (you can click image to see up close) - but there's also a PDF of the image with a yellow circle encompassing the crack - )
You should be talking to Equalizer about it, your only going to get opinions here.
The higher your expectations the fewer your options.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:09 PM   #39
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I would not use minor to describe that crack. Past time to go shopping for a new hitch. This thread clearly illustrates the good and the bad advice available. Park that trailer now and get a new hitch prior to hitting the road once again. Good luck.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:37 PM   #40
2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Replace it, or have it rewelded, with a doubler there.
ANY crack is a failure!
Every one above, is correct. It's cheap insurance!
Preferably replace under warranty if lifetime warranted.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:50 PM   #41
Rivet Master
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
So, what was the root cause of these cracks? Anti-sway force? Weight distribution force? Vibration and road shock? Poor manufacturing? Bad design? Material fatigue? Corrosion? Weld stress as previously suggested? Poor maintenance? What ya got? Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Poor weld, IMO

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote