Old 08-15-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Venice , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
Minimum Onboard Tool List

Looking for opinions on what most carry for tools when traveling. One item I am looking for opinions on is the best universal torque wrench and socket set for lug nuts and hitch.

Other suggestions for other tools/supplies that we should be carrying as we travel without adding a lot of weight.

Things we do carry... large first aid kit, TPMS, NOAA Wx Radio, multiple cell phones, wifi, departure checklist, portable 100w suitcase solar and we don't boondock as of yet. Have AAA RV Premier.

Thoughts?

We drag Mitzi a 2016 International Serenity 30, with an Equal-i-zer 1000 yanked around with a 2015 GMC Yukon XL SLT 4x4, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.92 axle, 6-speed auto WBCCI #6111 AIR #107335

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

WD40 if it's stuck.....duct tape if it's not and zip-ties for everything else.

The most important tool to bring is the one you left behind.

Actually it only took about 6 trips to 'stock' our kit. If we don't have it WallyWorld does.

Bob

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
It's easy to go overboard with tools. On my first trip with my Airstream, the only things in my toolkit were a pocket flashlight and an assortment of fuses. And as it happened I needed both.

Now, more than four years later, I have a somewhat more comprehensive tool kit that tips the scales at over 20 pounds and just barely fits in a Stanley FatMax soft-sided toolbag, but the things I'm most likely to need on any given trip are still a pocket flashlight and fuses.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
If you have room in the tow vehicle, just throw in the tools you think you might need, and then during subsequent trips leave at home the tools you don't need. Good auto supply and hardware stores, Walmart, Sears, Lowes, etc. are never that far from most folks' travels.

Our van is also a back-up: tool chest, closet, hamper, pantry, refrigerator (coolers), rest area, chill center for power naps in really hot weather with AC on, kitchenette (12v appliances plus butane burner) and so forth.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:09 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
tools

I carry a basic torque wrench from harbor freight. You can spend hundreds on them but torquing lug nuts just doesn't require that type of precision. I bought a deep well socket that fits the lugs. I carry what I think of as a standard automotive tool kit. sets of Screwdrivers, hex wrenches, sockets, rubber mallet, hammer, gloves, battery screwdriver, knife, tie downs, electrical wire and tape, flashlights, wrenches, channel locks, vice grip and i am sure a couple of other things. then i carry some TT specific items as well. Bulbs, zip ties, stubby screwdrivers, glue, finish nails, grease, cleaners, volt meter, tube wrenches, heavy duty bottle jack and small air compressor with attachments.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
New coach, I have no idea what you need. For my old one I carry a rivet gun, a pex tool and some fittings, a multimeter and crimp kit, and a battery drill/driver with drills and attachments. I use the drill when I put the stabilizers down. Most of what I carry I did not start out with. I bought it at various Ace hardware and Walmarts in the US and Canada to fix the emergency of the hour.
This last caravan the trailer had not been used for a while. On the way I had to reconnect a wire to the fantastic fan and re connect one brake wire. Just before we left I changed the water pump. When we got home I had to fix a leak around the fan.
Maybe with a new trailer you do not need to start out with much and just pick it up as you need it.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
New coach, I have no idea what you need.

For my old one I carry a rivet gun, a pex tool and some fittings, a multimeter and crimp kit, and a battery drill/driver with drills and attachments. And a torque wrench and socket to fit the wheel lugs. There are sockets in there to fit the hitch too. The owners manual. I use the drill when I put the stabilizers down. Most of what I carry I did not start out with. I bought it at various Ace hardware and Walmarts in the US and Canada to fix the emergency of the hour and then threw it into the box to carry forever. Most of the tools are in a box in the truck and I have a good bunch of stuff at the bottom of that box I have not used or seen for a while. Weight is not really a concern since it is in the bed of my 3/4 ton. We are in one trailer or the other for 5 to 6 months every year so most of the work on them gets done on the road.

This last caravan the trailer had not been used for a while. On the way to the caravan I had to reconnect a wire to the fantastic fan and re connect one brake wire. And go to Camping World and buy a new water pump and install it. Worked when we left home, did not pump the next day. When we got home I had to fix a leak around the fan.

Maybe with a new trailer you do not need to start out with much and just pick it up as you need it. I kinda like going into Ace hardware in different locations anyway.

I also carry a bottle jack in the truck. Used it in Plattsburg, NY last summer when we had a flat on the TV. Used it in Lewisburg this year at the rally because the site was soft and low and I could not get the stand in or out from under the jack post without jacking the hitch up. Had to jack to unhitch and then again to hitch back up. Also used it and the torque wrench to take the wheel off to connect the brake lead.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I'm not a good candidate to respond to this as I often take way more tools than I need including such things as angle grinder, soldering iron, wide array of usual hand tools, torque wrench, etc!

But many of my problems with a slightly older trailer seem to be electrical and so one thing I never leave without is a multimeter usually two!

The most recent one I bought has a clamp meter for current measurements - which I think will be extra handy.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:02 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
Basic socket set, reversible screwdriver, basic set of end wrenches, box cutter, ohm meter, hammer, needle nose pliers, regular pliers, electrical tape, duct tape
DDickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
New coach, I have no idea what you need.

For my old one I carry a rivet gun, a pex tool and some fittings, a multimeter and crimp kit, and a battery drill/driver with drills and attachments. And a torque wrench and socket to fit the wheel lugs. The owners manual. I use the drill when I put the stabilizers down. Most of what I carry I did not start out with. I bought it at various Ace hardware and Walmarts in the US and Canada to fix the emergency of the hour. Most of the tools are in a box in the truck and I have a good bunch of stuff at the bottom of that box I have not used or seen for a while. Weight is not really a concern since it is in the bed of my 3/4 ton.

This last caravan the trailer had not been used for a while. On the way I had to reconnect a wire to the fantastic fan and re connect one brake wire. And go to Camping World and buy a new water pump and install it. Worked when we left home, did not pump the next day. When we got home I had to fix a leak around the fan.

Maybe with a new trailer you do not need to start out with much and just pick it up as you need it. I kinda like going into Ace hardware in different locations anyway.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 22' FB Sport
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I too would like specific recommendation on a torque wrench, as I have not yet purchased one.

We have had our rig about a year, and all the hand tools we keep on board fit in the zippered briefcase along with our owners manual, except for a few specific items kept at point of use.

We keep the 88P Viair compressor in the closet, so we can grab it and do the tires before we hitch up (truck needs to be nose to the trailer for this). We keep the socket that is needed to drain the water heater in the front outside storage (we drain before storage each time.), and we keep the level in here, as we use it every trip.

In our tool bag I have things I might need that would either be inexpensive and easy to keep around, or that are essential items that would be problematic if needed and not available.

First category is the standard screwdrivers, cable ties, duct tape, gorilla glue, electrical tape, fuses, binder clips (great for fixing a bent tent pole with duct tape, or for holding small things while glue is drying), allen wrench set, pliers, Cheater Reader glasses, flashlight, dental floss, caulk, and WD40.

Second category is a spare set of wheel chocks, spare Equalizer hitch pin and cotter pin, sway bar pins with cotter pins, and "elephant" pins to attach the sway bars to the trailer.

Will be adding a bottle jack also.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Port Dover , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
... I too would like specific recommendation on a torque wrench, as I have not yet purchased one.

... truck needs to be nose to the trailer for this). ...
I use a Craftsman torque wrench and a 19mm deep socket for the lug nuts.

Why not use the trailer house battery to run the air pump? (I actually use my portable jump start lithium battery which I can recharge with a cigarette lighter plug.)
WBCCI #6497

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 22' FB Sport
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Adventure, thanks for the wrench info.

Regarding the air compressor, answer is.. It's just easer.

My lowely sport only has 1 paltry battery that sits unplugged at the storage lot loosing charge between outings. It can barely lift and lower the tongue jack (which is why I suspect electric jacks are not standard on my unit.)

Whereas my honkin' Tundra truck has an epic battery and easily powers the air compressor.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Good advice in the above posts.

All I would suggest is consider two bags--one for the tire tools (bag source: Harbor Freight) including the torque wrench, and a soft-side Stanley or similar (source: Wal-Mart) for the rest. This is because the tire tools are relatively heavy, and if you need tire tools you likely won't need the other stuff, and vice versa.

I got torque wrench (good up to 150 ft lbs), sockets, extendable lug nut breaker bar, etc. all at Wal-Mart.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote