Old 08-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
in my full time days, I once had to go on a wild goose tool search for random star shaped sockets and tiny drivers to remove/ replace the inverter. Wally World,Ace , and the auto parts stores did not have them ... ended up at radio shack and sears. being electronically challenged those were not part of my typical tool kit, but they live in the trailer now . I guess you go to Frys for stuff like thst nowadays? or maybe new trailers don't require them...?

eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:55 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
In addition to many of the tools/supplies others have previously listed, I bring a Slime 2x Heavy Duty 12 volt tire air pump, a turkey baster to fill battery cells, a breaker bar with 6in extension and 1in socket for my Blue Ox WD bars, contact cement, bug/tar removal spray, and plenty of microfibre towels.

Happy Trails,
phann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
The only tool's I've used regular while traveling are a hammer, vice grips and a test light.
1977 Safari Land Yacht
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5
2010 Ford Flex Ecoboost
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #18

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post
The only tool's I've used regular while traveling are a hammer, vice grips and a test light.

How did I ever make it all these years with just my 'old school" tork wench?

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:48 PM   #19
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There are lots of lists. It depends on what your mechanical skills are and what problems you intend to fix while traveling as opposed to deferring until you're back home.

Originally Posted by beachbouy View Post
Looking for opinions on what most carry for tools when traveling.
- Large leatherman-like multi tool
- hammer
- bottle jack
- 12v test light
- 1/2" breaker bar and 3/4" socket

My tow vehicle has basic tools: adjustable wrench, screwdrivers, pliers, cutters, etc., and I rely on those being there. I also carry a tire plugging kit in my tow vehicle, and a source of compressed air. And a recovery kit for getting out of the mud.

One item I am looking for opinions on is the best universal torque wrench and socket set for lug nuts and hitch.
I just carry a breaker bar, extension, and the one socket I need. The torque wrench stays at home.

Other suggestions for other tools/supplies that we should be carrying as we travel without adding a lot of weight.

Things we do carry... large first aid kit, TPMS, NOAA Wx Radio, multiple cell phones, wifi, departure checklist, portable 100w suitcase solar and we don't boondock as of yet. Have AAA RV Premier.

There are 4 very common scenarios that can disable your trailer so you can't drive it safely.

1. Electrical problems in the stop, turn, tail/running light, or brake circuits
2. Flat tire
3. Tongue jack failure
4. Hitch problems

I focus on these problems and have a kit organized around dealing with them. Problems with the umbilical are so common that I have installed a connector on the trailer side of my umbilical and carry a spare umbilical. I still run into occasional problems with the connector on the tow vehicle but in most cases some wiggling and jiggling and tape will make a repair good enough to finish out a trip.

I figure there's a 90% chance of any tire problem being solvable by plugging the tire and re-inflating it so my kit is geared towards that, but I also carry spares (and a jack and lug wrench) as a hedge against more serious problems.

Tongue jack failure, I carry the hex wrench necessary for removing the head on mine. Also, the bottle jack can be used to lift the tongue when necessary if the jack is out of service, or if it is necessary to remove the jack from the tongue.

For hitch problems I carry suitable wrenches, lubricant, and spare locking pins (in case they are lost or stolen).

I carry first aid kit and weather radio also but don't see them as tools really.
To learn to see below the surface, you must adjust your altitude
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
torque wrench

[QUOTE=Piggy Bank;1835816]I too would like specific recommendation on a torque wrench, as I have not yet purchased one.

I have a both a Craftsman click type and beam type I use in the shop and a Harbor Freight click type I carry in the trailer. If you have aluminum wheels it is important to check the torque regularly since the steel and aluminum expand a different rate

There is a whole thread just discussing torque wrenches. I checked the Harbor Freight against the Craftsman and they read the same. I bought the HF on sale with a 20% off coupon on top of that and it was about $12. Look for their adds in magazines and the Sunday paper, all you need is the coupon number. They also have coupons for free led flashlights and a free basic multimeter.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #21
Old Sailor
1983 34' Excella
Victoria , Texas
Everybody got here before me and saved me a lot of typing. I agree with everything already mentioned plus a couple of other items: Add in a long pair of needle nose pliers with a side cutter. A set of forceps doesn't weigh much and is perfect for reaching down into somewhere to pick up that tiny little whatever that fell into the crack. Forceps are also a lot of help holding two uncooperative wires together while you solder them or put a connector on them. Alligator clips fashioned to fit on the ends of the wires to your multi-meter eliminate the necessity of growing another arm.

'82 Excella 34' "FrankenStream" Tri-Axle
'06 Ram 2500 Lonestar
WBCCI #4456
Born to Cruise
McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:36 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member
1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Like others I've seen the full spectrum from someone without even a screwdriver all the way up to a guy that literally had his full Snap-On tool chest installed in one of his storage areas on his motor coach. Here was my approach on this - I bought a tool bag that would fit into the bottom of our coat closet. Then I limited my tools to those that will fit in the bag (beyond tire tools which I carry separately). A trailer is really no different from your house so think about the tools you've used in the past several years to fix typical things like plumbing, electrical, and mechanical like screws that fall out, etc.. Good sticky tape sure comes in handy sometimes for a quick fix. I also carry a leak fix tape that would hold back a leak (water or LP) temporarily. I also have a hack saw which has come in handy. Most commonly used so far - multiple screwdrivers, channel lock, crescent, pliers, hack saw. What I didn't have and could have used - a funnel, a couple of pipe clamps to hold a drain pipe inside (the drain pipe from the A/C). I do carry a few items that would be good to have for a roadside issue like a flat tire that are not in the tool bag. I have a really good tire lug wrench that has a nice long handle to remove stuck lug nuts, two bottle jacks, and a super-jack which can lift 3' high from a bumper or can be used at the tongue to lift the trailer at the front if necessary (you see these mounted on jeeps quite often). I also carry a can of re-inflator for flat tires that happen on the road.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:11 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

How did I ever make it all these years with just my 'old school" tork wench?

Ive got the same one!
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:23 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Dexter , Maine
Only you know what your comfort level for road repairs "REALLY" IS. Why carry things you will never use. If you didn't want to or didn't know how to use a tool at home. Why bring it with you, you won't use it on the road.
What ever you choose be sure it will work for the job you intend. I had to go thru several of my deep sockets before finding one that fits the rim/lug combo used by airstream. The socket needs to be fairly thin to fit into the lug nut pocket on the rim. (just one exam of simply putting a socket that is the correct size for the lug won't help you on the road)
I advocate a dry run of changing a tire in the driveway before learning what not to do on the road. Really if you can replace a flat tire and get back on the road, most other repairs can be put off till you are in better location or you have brought the trailer to someone else if you would prefer not to do the work.
If your packing tools for someone else to repair something for you, well you might be packing to much.

Joe D

Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote