Old 01-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
Clarkdale , Arizona
trouble with mine too. tt at dealer now for round 2 of fixing. i spoke to randy,customer service at as and asked him "can these units really be fixed or are they just low bidder junk made to be thrown away/replaced?" and he said "they can be repaired."

I don't get it I guess, seems to me alot of them don't work well. is there a better replacement out there? happy with input about that

Old 01-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Mulino , Oregon
rj11 corrosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
jd the sensors are SCREWED into the tank walls...

"the sensor wiring uses rj11 (phone) plugs and that's where corrosion can be an issue."
I think airishuman is right on the mark about the corrosion with these connectors. Many years back we mistakenly used these on marine applications and found this was an issue with digital level signals. We found filling them with silicone grease applied with a syringe after they are connected really helps to exclude moisture and helped a lot. Connector quality is also important; North American manufactured connectors to old AT&T/IBM specifications are far superior to Asian sourced hardware and will function a lot better and longer.
WLJ1943

Old 08-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #17
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Newbie system monitor question: Just moved in our AS. We ran the systems monitor after about 4 days. The black water showed red. We dumped the black water, all worked great. Flushed afterwards with gray water and did not use sewer flusher since we had no "solid material" in our black water. Ran the system monitor afterwards and all was green. We were feeling pretty confident that we knew what were doing so the past couple of days we have added the "solid material". Ran the system monitor the other day just to see what the levels were and it showed red right beside the word black water. We knew it could not be full since we had just dumped a few days earlier and had been using the RV park bathroom most of the time. We looked in the toilet and saw that it was not full. We went ahead and dumped again, flushed with gray water. Still showed red so we hooked up the hose to the sewer flush and flushed. Still shows red by black water!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhh
Do we need to calibrate? Any suggestions on what we might be doing wrong?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The monitoring system is often wrong. You will get inconsistent results as well.

It is possible the sensor is covered with toilet paper or other waste products. It is also possible the electrical contacts are dirty and have to be cleaned—they are telephone wire and connectors. It is possible the monitor has to be recalibrated.

If you have the instructions, you can recalibrate the monitor, or you check the company website for instructions. You can call the company for help if that doesn't work. Cleaning the electrical contacts is much harder since I think you would have to drop the belly pan and it is just not worth it. You could unscrew the monitor from the wall and check those contacts also.

After a while you get to know what is happening without relying on the monitor. It takes a long time to fill a black tank. You can look down the toilet with flashlight to see what is happening. If you overload the grey tank, the shower will not drain, so you can monitor that. If boondocking, we wash dishes in a pan in the sink and put that water down the black tank through the toilet because the grey tank always fills faster than the black tank.

Fresh water monitor readout can be checked when filling the tank if you fill 5 gallons at a time from a container (or 3 or 1 or whatever) and with each 5 gal. see what the light is reading. We've done that and found it working perfectly and a few days later on a trip, it acted wacky.

I think the black tank is the one most likely to have wrong readings. Fresh water least likely.

I think people have been complaining for decades about these monitors and they still don't work very well. After a while, we adjust.

Gene
Old 08-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Hi, kds; if fresh/gray are still in the ballpark, it's probably the sensor in the black tank, rather than a sudden loss of calibration. The sensors themselves are all the same, but I have found that they don't last very long when exposed to black water. For example, in my present trailer, the sensors originally installed in the fresh and gray tanks are still O.K., but the black sensor has been replaced several times.....some only last days, or a few weeks, tops.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
Wentzville , Missouri
We took delivery of a "new" 2010 International Serenity 23D three weeks ago. The dealer is a 7-hour drive from here. It didn't take us long to figure out that the black water monitor was reading "FULL," blinking red, which didn't make a whole lot of sense. We drained and flushed the tank. Turned to Green. Put less than 2 gallons of water in the tank, and it went back to flashing red. Drained and flushed the tank again, went back to green. This sounds like the exact same problem that was being reported in this forum by multiple owners 7 years ago. Has no progress been made on this? This doesn't seem like the "Airstream Quality" that I was expecting.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
Wentzville , Missouri
Re: The above.

After ONE flush of the toilet, it went back to flashing red.

Since it appears that the problem is fully repeatable, that in and of itself should be a clue to a person who actually understands the circuitry involved.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #22
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Angry Black water flashing red!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfenwick View Post
Re: The above.

After ONE flush of the toilet, it went back to flashing red.

Since it appears that the problem is fully repeatable, that in and of itself should be a clue to a person who actually understands the circuitry involved.
I feel your pain. Mine is now working when it feels like it, which is not often. Oh well, I know it frustrating but on to bigger and better things for me. I wish you success.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Try reprogramming it according to the instructions. If that doesn't work, call Micropulse and ask them what to do.

Yes, sounds like it hasn't improved.

Gene