Old 11-03-2005, 03:30 PM   #15
Site Team

, Minnesota
Chuck,

There is a ton of information about platinum toxicity in mice. http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/cg...stract/45/1/86

Cis-platinum and other analogs have been extensively tested (in mice) as cancer fighters. As with many chemotherapies. it is the toxicity of the agent that battles the tumor.

I guess in this case, the little rodents were self-medicating and overdid it.

Old 11-03-2005, 04:35 PM   #16
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
Thats interesting - I know of folks who swear by using bounce - I don't think you should catagorically say it doesn't - thats misinformation.....
Ken J
Ken, I apologize if I said anything offensive to anyone. I truly did not mean to be argumentive. Most of us post advice or opinions which are based on our personal experience and/or research. MY experience with trying to repel mice with Bounce dryer sheets conclusively proved to ME that it does not work. I tried the idea based on a suggestion I read in these forums. The result was that mice wreaked havoc in my trailer for two weeks (in a storage yard) and left me an awful mess to clean up, not to mention the health hazard risk (hantavirus). That is why I'm a bit touchy when I see this idea reappear.
Best regards, Roger

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Yuk.....I can see why you don't like the bouce idea.....

My sorta conclusion after reading all the mouse threads is once they get in they are hard to get rid of - I think a lot of the ideas that are suggested prevent them from coming in if they are thinking about entering, however, once they have entered its much more difficult to get rid of them.

I had one get in about 3 years ago or so and I went nuts ( I live in Hantavirus country ) - took every suggestion and did it all - I think the first mouse that looking in my trailer said holy shhhh------ and I've not had a problem since.

This thread has made me realize that I'm getting lax - the only thing I have going is the ultrasonic repellent - still not having mice, even though the trailer is stored in a mice infested sheep barn. Think I'll step things up over the winter.....

So Rog what did you end up doing to get rid or your mice?

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:17 PM   #18
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
So Rog what did you end up doing to get rid or your mice?
Ken J.
Once they're in, there's not much to do other than trap and kill them and discourage others from entering.
As I mentioned earlier, I use a combination of mothballs and Lava soap to keep them at bay. This has worked well thus far for me. The secret is in trying to be smarter than the mice, which I find very difficult.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:44 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
SANTA BARBARA , California
I use three strategically placed ultrasonic devices in my trailer after finding that they used my curtains for bedding material. I put the devices on an extension cord and place it directly where I noticed the problems. You could try that.

It seems to work for me.......Also, I like reading new threads about this subject. It's a constant problem that I can relate to.