Old 07-14-2009, 03:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
1) Ensure lid is affixed to bucket, if bowl shaped lid is used baffle lid access port.
2) Secure mouse bucket in vehicle and drive to remote location.
3) Remove mouse bucket from vehicle vicinity.
4) Loosen lid, tilt bucket on side, release mice.

NOTES: Avoid fraternizing with the captives. Do not feed captives to cats unless fasted for twelve hours as the corn sugars disagree with obligate carnivores. Distance yourself from transport vehicle so calls on 'shotgun' for ride home are minimized. Do not release captives near the KOA or State Campgrounds. Scattering a handful of corn at relocation site can and will be viewed as aide and comfort to the enemy. When reloading trap leave bucket in used condition so pheromones will attract more mice.
how do i get the mice out of my truck?

just kidding! i'll test fit the lid for a good seal first.

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Don't waste your money on the electronic gadgets that are supposed to "repel" mice. After the glowing endorsement of an employee at Sharper IMage who stated her grandmother's house was now completely mouse-free I bought a number of their pricey "Mouse Movers". I put them in my garage, basement and the Airstream. They seemed to have an effect for maybe a month. Then, the mice actually chewed through the cord on one and ALL of them ended up with nasty little mouse pellets stuck to them.
Yeah...real effective.

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Here's a safe trap we found by accident. We had a wine bottle on it's side under the dinnette seat. It had less than a sip of wine in it. When I went to throw it out, there was a mouse passed out inside. He became awake but groggy after a few gentle shakes. Either he was too drunk or the slippery glass side kept him from escaping. As we were in a National Forest campground, I just left the bottle tipped at a slight angle with the bottle's neck on the ground so he could get out when the hangover subsided. He was gone 2 hours later.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Hockessin , Delaware
Mice!! Help - THANK YOU

THANK YOU to all who have responded with great ideas. We will try almost all of them and are always open to new ones.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #19
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Dreamer60 (and anyone else) Let me know if you go w/the FreshCab - like I said, we have had no problems since adding a couple bags to the inside of our trailer & it smells so nice! On her website, she has a guarantee. The other thing I forgot to mention was sealing as many holes as possible. We used a small grade wire across some and expanding foam on others. There seem to be many places they can squeeze into - hard to find them all! Good luck.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I've found that I don't need to put any peanut butter or seeds in my bucket of water - they just run up and jump in - they are not real smart - have caught hundreds that way...

I have had good luck with the unltrasonic thingies.. They seem to either work or not -

As far as getting rid of them, I just dump them in the woods - I'd be digging holes everyday..... There is some animal/bird that eats them, as they are usually gone the next day.

I'm not at all for catching and releasing them - in my experience, if you let them live, they go tell all their friends and you get more mice...

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i agree. there are no lonely mice!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:21 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Antigo , Wisconsin
For the past couple of years, since we got the trailer from my father in-law, we have been putting "Cloths dryer sheets, unsented" i.e. "Bounce" in all the drawers, cloests, storage compartments, etc when we put the trailer into storage for the winter and have not seen any mice nor mouse signs. I don't know where my wife heard of this sulution, but it seems to really work. we got the trailer a coupe of years ago and prior to that, my father in-law always complained about mice problems. So i am convinced. The dryer sheets work.

Jim
Old 08-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
We had heard the same thing about dryer sheets and used them in our pop-up before buying our Airstreams. Seemed to work!

Of course, it's hard to tell if it was the dryer sheets at work or the fact that we park our trailers near our 20+ barn cats that keep the mice away... my guess is that you're not quite desperate enough to feed 20 cats to keep your trailer mice free... but works for us!!!
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Antigo , Wisconsin
Correction to my previous post.

i wife just said that the dryer sheets need to be "very scented" as strong of a scented as possible.

Jim
Old 08-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Son far we have not had a mouse problem, but I am going to get dryer sheets in A/S right away, and hope for the best.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Argyle , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by locoman View Post
Correction to my previous post.

i wife just said that the dryer sheets need to be "very scented" as strong of a scented as possible.

Jim

If those things are in my trailer then the mice are welcome to it. I'm the one that will be repelled.

Ed
Old 08-05-2009, 04:57 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Antigo , Wisconsin
hi ed

i know what you mean. i objected, when she first suggested it, but, decided to let her test it out for one winter storage season. It worked. If you use the sheets with the "fresh breeze scent", it might not be so bad.

My father in-law put moth balls in his old pickup truck on the farm in montana during the winter when is isn't out there, and believe me, that is BAD. I can't stand riding in the truck with him, even with all the windows open.

Jim
Old 08-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
I found ancient paper cups of mothballs had been secreted above the belly wraps and underfloor cavities - the naphthalene or whatever had evaporated down to only a few pea size skunks, err chunks but that was part of the odor that nearly killed the whole Airstream experience for this family..

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote