Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2003, 04:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Mice Have Visited - How Best To Clean Up

I began to get the AS ready for the summer this past weekend and I noticed that I had been visited by some mice over the course of the winter (I put the barn cats in the trailer for a few days every few weeks during the winter). I know that these are deer mice and can cary the hantavirus in their droppings. The mice did a pretty good job tearing up the toilet paper in the bathroom and were in the sleeping area as well as the kitchen counter. They didn't get to any wiring that I can see. I sprayed the droppings that I came across with Lysol (using a mask and rubber gloves). I know that a dilute of bleach will kill off the virus but I don't want to spray the matresses with this. Any one have any experience in this area/any suggestions? Thanks, Montanaandy
montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 05:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
My suggestion would have been to vacuum up the droppings with a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter, or a bagless that uses water. Have their been any cases of hantavirus reported in your area? THEN wipe everything down with a bleach based cleaner. Lysol's antiseptic qualities are questionable.

I put moth balls in the rear bumper compartment. It has, or seemed to work for the last 9 months. I also put "sticky traps" in key areas of the AS. No catches since the MB's when in the bumper compartment.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 09:22 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Mice Have Visited

I have read that you do not want to vacuume up the droppings because this can stir things up and release the particulates into the air and possibly into your lungs. I plan on using disposable surgical gloves and a wisk broom/dust pan to get them up as best I can. I will use a bleach based cleaner/solution as you suggest after I have removed the droppings. I don't know of any reported hantavirus cases here in Billings, Montana but I am fairly certain that these are deer mice (my barn cats have killed a number of them and the carcasses have the big ears that deer mice normally have). Montanaandy
Old 04-14-2003, 09:53 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Being new A/S owner, critters were our big concern last Fall when we put Bambi to sleep. We were told to try putting Bloodmeal ( get it at your local landscape dealer, etc ) in the trailer for mice, spiders, & creepy crawlers. We did & I was very happy this Spring to see that there were no evidence of the invaders. while this doesn't help your present problem, once that is taken care of, you may want to try this approach next Fall.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 05:12 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Montanandy, good point about the dust! That is why I said use a HEPA filter vacuum or bagless water vac. They are SUPPOSED to not kick up dust. I would take the bagless water vac, such as a Rainbow over the HEPA unit. Rainbows are not supposed to kick up dust, that is their "selling point".

Anyhow, I also run my ozone generator in the AS, once a week or so, for 90 minutes, insects and vermin are repelled by high concentrations of ozone.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 04-15-2003, 10:22 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

MIce Have Visited

I am intrigued by the idea of using an ozone generator. What does a unit such as the one that you use retail for? Montanaandy
Old 04-15-2003, 02:00 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Check this website:

Ozone Generator information HERE

They have all kinds of information on this site. Take the time to read as much as you can.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 04-15-2003, 04:14 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Mice Have Visited

Interesting read on the ozone generators. Which model do you have? Has it worked as advertised? Montanaandy
Old 04-15-2003, 08:38 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
I bought the 800 model. It works fast! You can start to smell the ozone immediately. It has a timer that maxes out at 90 minutes. I usually run it full bore for 90 minutes, or you can run it continuously if you want. I use it in various rooms in our house too. I think it works great, but remember, it only works on organic odors. It will not remove diesel or chemical smells.

I'd like to try that 24000 model. I bet you couldn't stand to be in a room with that one after 5 seconds!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 04-16-2003, 06:48 AM   #10
BevnCraig

2014 31' Classic
Golden , Colorado
Talking mice

Hi,
If there is a smell from the mice excretions there are 2 products I've found very successful. I used to get them on the web, but now many large chain pet stores carry them.
They are NATURE'S MIRACLE liguid. That works pretty well and can soak in.
The best that I've found is actually naturally occurring ZEOLITE mineral. They sell it as a powder called ODORZOUT. It even has the Queen of Clean's endorsement. It is absolutely incredible and is completely natural too! I have a few bags of Zeolite rocks (It comes from volcano something or other I think) and use them in old trunks, etc. to remove smells. The neat thing about the bags of zeolite is that it can be reused again and again. After it has absorped a lot of odor, just let the bag sit outside in the sunshine for a day and it releases the odor and is recharged and ready for use again.
If you aren't near a store that carries it. Go to www.88stink.com
Hope this is helpful.
Bev
BevnCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 11:24 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Re: MIce Have Visited

Quote:
Originally posted by montanaandy
I am intrigued by the idea of using an ozone generator. What does a unit such as the one that you use retail for? Montanaandy
Here is a thread from a few months ago on ozone generators : http://www.airforums.com/forum...ighlight=ozone

Hi Pic, glad to hear your ozone generator has helped.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 05:06 PM   #12
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
some more info

Here is a link to the CDC site for hantavirus:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/h...s/prevent3.htm[URL]

I have also had this concern with our trailer stored in an open field. I have been told that you should always make sure the mouse population is gone before any cleanup. The droppings and urine are not a risk after several days. Only fresh droppings/urine. So get rid of mice before cleanup and wait several days after all signs of mice are gone before cleanup. There is also suppose to be a mask with a charcoal filter available (home depot, I think) that is safer to use. I have a disinfectant/virucide that I bought at Sams Club which is biodegradable and kills: strep, e coli, pneumoniae, HIV-1, influenza A and herpes simplex to name a few. Can be applied to beds, carpet, walls, etc. Called Odoban. Can also be used in holding tanks. Don't use the spray cans of Lysol, not enough. Hope this helps. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 10:07 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
mouse clean up

Consider taking the mattresses to Stanley Steemer (carpet cleaner) Call 1-800-STEEMER for the nearest location. Our daughter works in the local office and the cleaning of mattresses is one of their services. Be very careful what you spray on fabrics and carpet - "our expert" tells us. A lot of that stuff attracts dirt. NEVER BLEACH solutions, that will discolor and rot fibers.

sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 12:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Exclamation Don't believe it

Leigh

Quote:
The droppings and urine are not a risk after several days.
Leigh, I don't know who told you that, but...I wouldn't for a minute believe it nor, place much trust in that statement.

It's the dry particules, stirred up and floating in the air which, if inhaled can cause serious health problems.

There's even a known case where, an individual dranked the contents of a can soda with dried urine on the top and, was taken seriously ill..Expired as a result.

I know that this is an extreme case but, it does point out that, just because a few days have gone by..
"Doesn't make it any safer."

I'd recommand treating all areas with extreme cautions. Like several have mention, wear gloves, mask and, clean very throughly.

I also use this motto..
"When in doubt, dispose of it safely."

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 10:23 AM   #15
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Taking Care

Hi Again - I, for one, would not want to supply false info and don't want to minimize danger that field mice/deer mice might inflict to the unsuspecting or uninformed. Guess I should have said "the dropping are less likely to be infected from virus after a few days" Here is a quote directly from the CDC:

Physical Properties of Hantaviruses
Hantaviruses have lipid envelopes that are susceptible to most disinfectants (e.g., dilute chlorine solutions, detergents, or most general-purpose household disinfectants) (37). Depending on environmental conditions,[these viruses probably survive 1 week in indoor environments and much shorter periods (perhaps hours) when exposed to sunlight outdoors.

Doesn't mean I would not still take all appropriate precautions, just that they indicate the most risk is while mice are still present to produce fresh droppings. Take care, Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 12:16 PM   #16

Quote:
the dropping are less likely to be infected from virus after a few days
Hantaviruses have lipid envelopes that are susceptible to most disinfectants
I am with Leigh and the CDC all the way on that one.

I am sure I am going to freak-out everybody with the following:

I am a "rat pack" when it comes to groceries. We have a 30 X 75 metal industrial building. In a corner of it, I have my one little grocery store. We have bought stores gondolas and they are stocked with years of supplies (I like to buy stuff on sale).

and we have mice. Plenty of them.

And we have mice droppings on top of cans. And: yes, I had heard that, even in the rare cases were antiviruses are present, if you are careful, you will survive.

We are 2 fine examples. I treat every can we use as if it had mouse turds on it. When possible, I open from other (down) end, and wash the can with hot water and soap.

I have been doing that for years. And hopefully will be alive longer to talk about it.

Relax, just don't put a fresh mouse turd in your mouth, and you'll be OK.

(keeping mouse away see: Of Mice & Mold, from Florida
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 11:22 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Mice Have Visited - Followup (Cleanup)

Bit the bullet this weekend and cleaned up the mice mess. I used sticky lint strips (peeled off the roll) to "pick up" the droppings and this worked pretty well (although the strips would stick to the disposable latex gloves that I was wearing and I would have to constantly battle with this). Wiped vritually ALL l surfaces down with diluted bleach (twice on the surfaces where there were a lot of droppings). Opened all of the windows to sunlight - light will help to kill the virus. Took the matresses out and sun/air dryed them for a few hours. Sprayed the couch and fabrics with Lysol/disinfectant. Sprayed the carpet in the bedroom/bathroom with disinfectant. Used a push-roller "vacuume" to get as much up off of the carpet as I could. Have not done a thorough vacuuming yet with an electric vac - will do this later. Wiped down vinyl protecting carpeting (previous owner) with bleach dilute. Opened windows/vents to get some fresh air in (the bleach will kill the virus on contact). Trailer looks good inside and is "sterilized". Will get some mouse traps and put them throughout the trailer to prevent any more unwanted visits. Montanaandy
Old 04-21-2003, 11:28 AM   #18

One advice when you use mouse traps: tie them down.

We picked-up a mouse once in CT, through NY and PA, it was still running somewhere under the couch......with the trap. All night.

We lost a second trap this way. A few years later, we did work under the couch: we never found the traps or the bones.
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 12:58 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Femuse, I have run into a similar incident with sticky boards in our greenhouse. A mouse was stuck in the middle of a stickyboard at dinnertime one day as I was watering. I figured it would be dead by morning. When I went in to water next morning, the entire sticky board was gone. Mouse was stuck in the middle of the board, so I know he didn't run away with it. I have not seen any cats in the neighborhood with stickyboards stuck to their faces!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 08-13-2004, 12:07 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEMUSE

and we have mice. Plenty of them.

And we have mice droppings on top of cans. And: yes, I had heard that, even in the rare cases were antiviruses are present, if you are careful, you will survive.

We are 2 fine examples. I treat every can we use as if it had mouse turds on it. When possible, I open from other (down) end, and wash the can with hot water and soap.

I have been doing that for years. And hopefully will be alive longer to talk about it.

Relax, just don't put a fresh mouse turd in your mouth, and you'll be OK.
What ever became of FEMUSE? Did he forget to wash one of those old cans?

and that last pearl of wisdom is one for the ages, ought to be in every Airstream manual.
I am so glad I found this thread, it's a classic.
roadeo is offline   Reply With Quote