Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Mattresses

We've been looking to replace the mattresses in our 1987 Excella 32-ft twin beds. While we were at JC, I looked at their display, but my wife didn't want to spend $500+tax times 2 for them. While she was watching TV, there was an ad for a local mattress factory in Gatineau (we live in Ottawa) who claimed to make custom sizes. I hitched up the AS and drove over there, and the result was a pair of custom made twins - 5-inch thick with individually pocketed coil springs and foam. Their pricing was as follows: $299 for the smallest standard size mattress to cut down to size (because of the length of our twins, this was a queen mattress) plus $100 to custom modify to size. The whole purchase was $900 Cdn ($712 USD). By ordering directly, the mattresses were ready in a week.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings blkmagikca!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
We've been looking to replace the mattresses in our 1987 Excella 32-ft twin beds. While we were at JC, I looked at their display, but my wife didn't want to spend $500+tax times 2 for them. While she was watching TV, there was an ad for a local mattress factory in Gatineau (we live in Ottawa) who claimed to make custom sizes. I hitched up the AS and drove over there, and the result was a pair of custom made twins - 5-inch thick with individually pocketed coil springs and foam. Their pricing was as follows: $299 for the smallest standard size mattress to cut down to size (because of the length of our twins, this was a queen mattress) plus $100 to custom modify to size. The whole purchase was $900 Cdn ($712 USD). By ordering directly, the mattresses were ready in a week.

I hope that you are as well satisfied with your locally sourced custom mattresses as I am. I did the same thing over a decade ago and have no regrets. The locally sourced mattresses have worn extremely well, and are above all else, as comfortable as the mattresses that I have on my bed at home (in fact they are the same mattresses).

I think that these local mattress manufacturers are an often overlooked resource for RVers who are refitting their rigs with bedding.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
There is a mattress company in Winnipeg that custom made mine. Cost was $300 each for coil mattress with no foam of any kind in them. Delivery 2 days. Just had a friend put new matresses in her trailer, 8" of foam in 3 different types, made in 24 hours, for $500 for the pair. Can't beat the price or service.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote