Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Undoubtablybored

1963 19' Globetrotter
Martin , Tennessee
Making a Toy Hauler!

I have a 63 19' Globetrotter and it is completely gutted and needing new floor and axle from what i can tell. I am tinkering with the idea of cutting open the back to make a door and adding a heavier axle to make a one of a kind toy hauler. Any suggestions warnings thoughts or insight from the experienced would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Christopher
Chrjbenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrjbenn View Post
I have a 63 19' Globetrotter and it is completely gutted and needing new floor and axle from what i can tell. I am tinkering with the idea of cutting open the back to make a door and adding a heavier axle to make a one of a kind toy hauler. Any suggestions warnings thoughts or insight from the experienced would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Christopher
That can be done, "IF" the trailer has a proper weight and balance.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Terrible idea. Sell it and buy a toy hauler.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
Undoubtablybored

1963 19' Globetrotter
Martin , Tennessee
Whats terrible about it? lots of room solid frame, starting from scratch anyways?
Old 01-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Frames on Airstreams are not strong, a 1963, if skin is in good shape and is restorable is a trailer that is going up in value not down like an AS converted to a toyhauler would do. Just think it would be a shame....
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
if you had a chevelle,that needed some framework ,would you butcher it up ? or fix it into what it should/could be ?
PINKBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
Undoubtablybored

1963 19' Globetrotter
Martin , Tennessee
Okay feeling a lot of negative energy towards the idea in the 5 minutes the post has been up. Let me say this is an idea thats why i am asking i havent started yet and butcher isnt a good word bc i wouldnt butcher it, i would retain the stock appearance as much as possible cutting along seems anyways i dont want an ugly or half A$sed trailer. I want something i can use and enjoy and be able to take my vintage motorcycles with me as well.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
It would be a shame to cut the skin on a 63', but on the other hand it's yours. So I say do what you want with it.

www.petidforme.com/105
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
well....we do LOVE our little puppies... hurts to see them go under the knife ;-) plus, the general anesthesia is REALLY hard on them after...they mope around for DAYS..

free country though, property rights 'n all that..

I will suggest you look at the awesome work here by Carlos Ferguson who, I believe made a "pod" from two end caps that he shows 16mm films in,, maybe?... check him out.. I think the link below is another renov, but the pod is here somewhere

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f321...ari-15592.html

...just keep us posted with pix, the gory-er the better ..
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

If it's well done people will be thrilled with it. There are a lot of considerations to be made with regard to weight, balance, and strength. The first thing that comes to my mind is that the weakest point in the Airstream is generally at the rear, where you would be cutting away a lot of the support, so you need to re-engineer that area so your floor is much better attached to the shell. The shell will probably have a lot of flex at the back after you cut away the area for the doors. I would make it so the doors are a structural element, so when closed they will help maintain the shape at the back, much like a big-rig back door. You may not need a heavy-duty axle if you are not going to add everything back that was there originally. The weight needs to be determined before you start looking at axles.

That should give you something to mull over for a bit....

Best to you,
Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
The construction of an Airstream is semi monocoque, which means the shell carries a significant amount of the load. Being of this type construction the frames are not as robust as a toy hauler (per say). With cutting the back off of the shell you will lose the frame to shell intigrity and you will most likely cause a rear frame to shell seperation. The rear shell to frame area would have to be greatly modified to replace the load carrying capabilities of the portion removed to create the door. I hope that you have the aircraft structural background to make this happen, because if do don't have the proper skill sets, you are setting yourself up to failure before you even start.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #12
_

. , .
no mention of WHAT TOYS may be hauled...

frankenstreams like this are ALL ABOUT THE DETAILS.

if it needs a floor AND axles (and brakes) the project is likely to cost as much (or more) than just buying a dedicated used tow hauler.

frame/floor/ribs/inner/outer skin and END CAPS matter for shell integrity...

and for a NEW subfloor to contribute to the structure a LOT will need to be done (shell OFF?) to get this right.

so open up the back and one must reinforce many other bits.

besides it will be NARROW for some toy needs (wheel well intrusions) and the windows/vents and so on may still leak or break,

it's been done, but it isn't a good way to save money on a real hauler.

so forget about the "holiness" of an old stream, it's just not a great starting point for a hauler.

a true a/s enthusiast might do a great job on a project like this, for example towed behind a classic a/s moho...

that's been done here too.

what's the budget and toys?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
If you have an excellent car hauler maybe (maaaaybe) cut the deck down and put the AS shell on it....
Old 01-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
toy hauler

i saw airstream motorhome a few years back that was made into a toy hauler. had a large door that let down in the back for a ramp, had the rear skin on it, was a good job. it was at tom johnson rv in marion nc. real good fit on rear door with seal trim.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
also saw a short airstream made into a hot dog stand at same rv dealer years back. it had windows all around and a lot of stuff inside, coolers, friers, prep tables, had alot of weight in there.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

River Falls , Wisconsin
Airstream conversion to toy hauler

This link http://snowest.com/news/index.cfm?ID=2204 has some good pictures of a 23 footer? that was converted. I think they kept the furnace operation. Notice how the ramp is stored underneath behind a hinged flip up bumper.
rjacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
I saw a beauty at the 2008 Vintage Auto Races at Laguna Seca Raceway.
The fellow had cut the rear as you mentioned, and he kept his 57 Corvette in there.
Everyone, including the group of Airstreamers I was with, thought it was very cool.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #18
Undoubtablybored

1963 19' Globetrotter
Martin , Tennessee
Thanks for the great pics rjaques. As i am no aircraft engineer as someone suggested i need to be i cant imagine that i would have to be and the idea of failing before starting what kind of atitude is that for an airstream enthu? I would think bringing back any old airstream to the road would be a great thing and encouraged. I would be hauling a single motorcylce thats about an additional 800 pounds. Thanks again for the pics and links everyone.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Is your intent to only tranform the a/s into a toy hauler?? Or will you also want to use it for camping? Seems to me that a 19' couldn't do used for both.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:23 AM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
For the money involved and the time it would take I'd suggest finding a used Airstream Base Camp. Similar in size they are pretty much designed as a horse trailer...I mean a motorcycle/ATV hauler. You might be able to get a good deal on one left sitting on a dealer's lot. They are no longer in Airstream's line-up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008-airstream-basecamp.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	93981  
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote