Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2010, 03:25 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
It would be a shame to perform irreversable modifications on a vintage piece such as you possess despite the fact that it needs a ground-up restoration.

All other things being equal, ie: some of the fine points that have already been raised with W&B issues, etc, if you could find a way to do this so at one point in time the trailer could be restored then I think it would be acceptable to the purists (like me).

You would have to sink a lot of $$$ into this project including floor, axle, etc, only to have something trying to do a job for which it was never intended. You'd be better off selling it to one of us who will lovingly restore it and using the proceeds to buy a toy hauler that was designed to do the job you need done.

Always remember: we don't own these beauties (even though we have paid for them). We merely have temporary custody. We have an obligation to future custodians to care for them and keep them safe.
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:27 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Thought I was reading a thread from one of the Model A restoration websites for a minute. They too take an anal attitude towards "butchers" that dare to modify an A. It's your trailer, do what ever and be sure and post progress pix of the project.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #23
_

. , .
ONE motor bike only?

cool idea and doable.

it might be easier to START with a reliable/newer platform (frame/floor/axles/mechanicals/wiring) that is fully capable of supporting the load...

then just attach/USE THE SHELL to cover it, shine 'er up and trim it nicely.

this approach would totally eliminate the 'monocoque' issue and free one up to cut HOLES where ever needed.

for example the shell could be altered in height/width and some storage created INSIDE for accessories, along with a rear ramp.

that approach could result in something unique and very functional.

a full size 19 even gutted will degrade gas mileage while towing, so streamlining it MORE will help.

go for it, and post up the pix!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
Some of the purists are considering how to hide your body, but the reality is sometimes the only way to keep an old trailer on the road is to rebuild it and give it life as something different. I've thought about a toy hauler too. Rather than cutting a hatch though, I was thinking of shortening the body, putting it on a stronger frame and have an ATV platform on the front like they do those tent trailer / toy combos.

Combined with a little tweaking of the rear departure angle, some Bushwacker cutout flares, and a 1" or 2" axle lift to make it level with my 4x4.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Argosy MH for Toyhauler

I have a '77 Argosy 20' 454 that would make a good hauler,62k runs good, mostly gutted. For Sale, cheap. 269-317-2606
Old 01-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Proud to be Anal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
Thought I was reading a thread from one of the Model A restoration websites for a minute. They too take an anal attitude towards "butchers" that dare to modify an A. It's your trailer, do what ever and be sure and post progress pix of the project.
Dennis...

Nothing 'ta do with the Model A, ours is "just" a 53 Vicky.
An awful lot depends on what you are starting with. I would never consider restoration or modification, but hold no animus for those who do.
They are only original once, our club, EFV/8 Club of America, recognizes this and has a un-restored class at all their meets, along with a touring,(hot rod) class.
We are very proud of the fact that the 32 Ford Coupe is the classic American Hot Rod.

I fully agree, do what makes you happy and have fun do'n it.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:15 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
seems an add on the forum should be easy to find someone to swap you a larger/2 axle newer trailer for the antique. have been considering same job but with living quarters, biggest problem i see is going to be hinging the rear end so that bumper and trunk swing down with rear access.
a few years ago i cut a 34' with tree damage in 1/2 and made a 20' out of it , was a worthwhile project. don't think a single axle will have the weight capacity to carry much toy? i am currently into a 64 overlander but have eyes peeled for a 30' any year with 2 axles . intend to haul my 750 shadow. i would hate to give up the trunk and bumper, likeing to keep trlr as much a stream as poss .a flat back wall is essential though. 1 thing i did learn is can't 1 sheet rear flat wall as sun causes riples, they go away when the sun does but i don't like that effect. so next time i will use scored metal (still brite alum) to cover back wall. also the tree wreck had lots of good parts that came off and the selling of same paid for the job. see pic of tree damaged in pics, on back cast aluminum emblem says exexcella :-) took 2 emblems to make.
crestonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:31 AM   #28
Ladylongwinger

1999 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
Critter hauler

I would love to find a modified 25-28' trailer that could be used to haul my critters and camera gear for a full-time living/camping situation. I don't want a 34' trailer (Pan American) or the giant truck it will take to haul it. Getting into state and national park campgrounds is important for the photography I do, and they have length limits (although I am not quite certain what they are yet). I spoke with an Airstream rep yesterday at an RV show in hopes I could get some encouragement that one (smaller version of the Pan American) was in the pipeline, but alas, not likely. It didn't sound encouraging for the future of the Pan American, either. I need a compartment that is about 6-7' with custom shelving, perches, storage and good ventilation. The ability to go off-road with my 4wd Tundra (sans trailer) is important, so buying a motor-home and towing a Basecamp won't work. The "cleanability" of the compartment is crucial, i.e. a shop vac and strong water pressure might be necessary, so the toy hauler concept is the only one I can fathom. I just don't need to carry a lot of weight and I don't need a full-sized garage.
If you do this project, please share your experiences, good and bad. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
We,re gonna try it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrjbenn View Post
I have a 63 19' Globetrotter and it is completely gutted and needing new floor and axle from what i can tell. I am tinkering with the idea of cutting open the back to make a door and adding a heavier axle to make a one of a kind toy hauler. Any suggestions warnings thoughts or insight from the experienced would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Christopher
The 61 Overlander we just purchased has the back cut out and has been gutted save for the roof a.c. so we plan on fixing up as toyhauler and living quarters, our is two axle. Go for it we are. Good Luck!
Bo&Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #30
Rivet Master

If you were to remove just the flat portion of the rear end, the window and the panel below it, you would have something that possibly could be reversed later on, and the fold-down would be a flat piece. The problem is that you would have only about 40" wide by however high your top of window is, to roll your bike in. Otherwise you are getting into the curved wall sections and endcaps, which complicates things quite a bit.
I would also be concerned with the useable space left for sleeping and such with a small Airstream like a Globetrotter. For long-term comfort and useability I would go for a Safari(22') or Overlander(24 or 25'?) at the very least.

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #31
Undoubtablybored

1963 19' Globetrotter
Martin , Tennessee
A longer Trailer might be a better option after taking some measurements and digging into weight for the single axle. I will be keeping my eyes peeled for another trailer.
Chrjbenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
I'm really glad to hear you say that. The GT 10 footers are just so PERFECT as a small trailer. Because we're three in the family we decided on a 23' Safari, but if I was solo-ing it around the country a nicely renovated '63 GT would be so sweet...

And if you decide the sell the GT when you get a bigger trailer could you call my wife and explain to her why I want to buy it and why we need TWO, not one, Airstreams!

Look forward to seeing pictures of any and all renovations you attempt!

fotochop
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
I mean 19-footers (hey, the zero and nine keys are practically the same ;-)
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Sounds to me like you need a long Funeral Coach. You may not know that the back end has a clamshell arrangement that provided fold down stairs and a flip up window.
I often convert to haul our bicycles and my long wb recumbent is longer likely than your cycle.
The SNOWEST photos show what is possible. I say go for it.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote