Old 01-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
also saw a short airstream made into a hot dog stand at same rv dealer years back. it had windows all around and a lot of stuff inside, coolers, friers, prep tables, had alot of weight in there.

rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
River Falls , Wisconsin
Airstream conversion to toy hauler

This link has some good pictures of a 23 footer? that was converted. I think they kept the furnace operation. Notice how the ramp is stored underneath behind a hinged flip up bumper.

rjacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
I saw a beauty at the 2008 Vintage Auto Races at Laguna Seca Raceway.
The fellow had cut the rear as you mentioned, and he kept his 57 Corvette in there.
Everyone, including the group of Airstreamers I was with, thought it was very cool.
Ron and Debbie Lawrence
1985 345 Motorhome...... delightfully tacky......yet unrefined
AIR 7992
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #18
1963 19' Globetrotter
Martin , Tennessee
Thanks for the great pics rjaques. As i am no aircraft engineer as someone suggested i need to be i cant imagine that i would have to be and the idea of failing before starting what kind of atitude is that for an airstream enthu? I would think bringing back any old airstream to the road would be a great thing and encouraged. I would be hauling a single motorcylce thats about an additional 800 pounds. Thanks again for the pics and links everyone.
Chrjbenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Is your intent to only tranform the a/s into a toy hauler?? Or will you also want to use it for camping? Seems to me that a 19' couldn't do used for both.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:23 AM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
For the money involved and the time it would take I'd suggest finding a used Airstream Base Camp. Similar in size they are pretty much designed as a horse trailer...I mean a motorcycle/ATV hauler. You might be able to get a good deal on one left sitting on a dealer's lot. They are no longer in Airstream's line-up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008-airstream-basecamp.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	93981  
2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:25 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Massachusetts
It would be a shame to perform irreversable modifications on a vintage piece such as you possess despite the fact that it needs a ground-up restoration.

All other things being equal, ie: some of the fine points that have already been raised with W&B issues, etc, if you could find a way to do this so at one point in time the trailer could be restored then I think it would be acceptable to the purists (like me).

You would have to sink a lot of $$$ into this project including floor, axle, etc, only to have something trying to do a job for which it was never intended. You'd be better off selling it to one of us who will lovingly restore it and using the proceeds to buy a toy hauler that was designed to do the job you need done.

Always remember: we don't own these beauties (even though we have paid for them). We merely have temporary custody. We have an obligation to future custodians to care for them and keep them safe.
"Mister Mike", Chief Engineer, Amateur Radio Station W1RC
Founder and Benevolent Dictator, New England Amateur Radio Festival, (aka NEAR-Fest),
At the Beautiful Deerfield NH Fairgrounds (Next one October 11th and 12th 2013)
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:27 AM   #22
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Thought I was reading a thread from one of the Model A restoration websites for a minute. They too take an anal attitude towards "butchers" that dare to modify an A. It's your trailer, do what ever and be sure and post progress pix of the project.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #23
. , .
ONE motor bike only?

cool idea and doable.

it might be easier to START with a reliable/newer platform (frame/floor/axles/mechanicals/wiring) that is fully capable of supporting the load...

then just attach/USE THE SHELL to cover it, shine 'er up and trim it nicely.

this approach would totally eliminate the 'monocoque' issue and free one up to cut HOLES where ever needed.

for example the shell could be altered in height/width and some storage created INSIDE for accessories, along with a rear ramp.

that approach could result in something unique and very functional.

a full size 19 even gutted will degrade gas mileage while towing, so streamlining it MORE will help.

go for it, and post up the pix!

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
Some of the purists are considering how to hide your body, but the reality is sometimes the only way to keep an old trailer on the road is to rebuild it and give it life as something different. I've thought about a toy hauler too. Rather than cutting a hatch though, I was thinking of shortening the body, putting it on a stronger frame and have an ATV platform on the front like they do those tent trailer / toy combos.

Combined with a little tweaking of the rear departure angle, some Bushwacker cutout flares, and a 1" or 2" axle lift to make it level with my 4x4.
My Brain Project and Tech Notes
airbassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member
Argosy MH for Toyhauler

I have a '77 Argosy 20' 454 that would make a good hauler,62k runs good, mostly gutted. For Sale, cheap. 269-317-2606
pepepepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #26

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Proud to be Anal...

Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
Thought I was reading a thread from one of the Model A restoration websites for a minute. They too take an anal attitude towards "butchers" that dare to modify an A. It's your trailer, do what ever and be sure and post progress pix of the project.

Nothing 'ta do with the Model A, ours is "just" a 53 Vicky.
An awful lot depends on what you are starting with. I would never consider restoration or modification, but hold no animus for those who do.
They are only original once, our club, EFV/8 Club of America, recognizes this and has a un-restored class at all their meets, along with a touring,(hot rod) class.
We are very proud of the fact that the 32 Ford Coupe is the classic American Hot Rod.

I fully agree, do what makes you happy and have fun do'n it.
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:15 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member
1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
seems an add on the forum should be easy to find someone to swap you a larger/2 axle newer trailer for the antique. have been considering same job but with living quarters, biggest problem i see is going to be hinging the rear end so that bumper and trunk swing down with rear access.
a few years ago i cut a 34' with tree damage in 1/2 and made a 20' out of it , was a worthwhile project. don't think a single axle will have the weight capacity to carry much toy? i am currently into a 64 overlander but have eyes peeled for a 30' any year with 2 axles . intend to haul my 750 shadow. i would hate to give up the trunk and bumper, likeing to keep trlr as much a stream as poss .a flat back wall is essential though. 1 thing i did learn is can't 1 sheet rear flat wall as sun causes riples, they go away when the sun does but i don't like that effect. so next time i will use scored metal (still brite alum) to cover back wall. also the tree wreck had lots of good parts that came off and the selling of same paid for the job. see pic of tree damaged in pics, on back cast aluminum emblem says exexcella :-) took 2 emblems to make.
crestonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:31 AM   #28
2000 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
Critter hauler

I would love to find a modified 25-28' trailer that could be used to haul my critters and camera gear for a full-time living/camping situation. I don't want a 34' trailer (Pan American) or the giant truck it will take to haul it. Getting into state and national park campgrounds is important for the photography I do, and they have length limits (although I am not quite certain what they are yet). I spoke with an Airstream rep yesterday at an RV show in hopes I could get some encouragement that one (smaller version of the Pan American) was in the pipeline, but alas, not likely. It didn't sound encouraging for the future of the Pan American, either. I need a compartment that is about 6-7' with custom shelving, perches, storage and good ventilation. The ability to go off-road with my 4wd Tundra (sans trailer) is important, so buying a motor-home and towing a Basecamp won't work. The "cleanability" of the compartment is crucial, i.e. a shop vac and strong water pressure might be necessary, so the toy hauler concept is the only one I can fathom. I just don't need to carry a lot of weight and I don't need a full-sized garage.
If you do this project, please share your experiences, good and bad. Thanks!

"Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads
weren't paved."
Ladylongwing is offline   Reply With Quote